Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

chatter fro clutch/flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chatter fro clutch/flywheel?

Hey guys. So I've been getting a lot of chatter from my clutch for few weeks now. Only atcity speeds. Freeway its extremly quiet if there at all. Now I have an act street performer and fidanza flywheel. I heard lightweight flywheels cause chatter. Is this true or do I have a problem? Car drives fine.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:09 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well it's could be a problem or it could be fine :/ when you replaced the TOB did you use a new oem one ? As it seems to be stronger than what comes in the kits. Also did you did you switch out the pressure plate? Act clutches seem to not work well with our trans. It could be the tob as mine started as a small rubbing sound, almost like the tire was rubbing. I could only hear it sometimes then it got worse and worse.

As for the flywheel yes they do cause more chatter and the fidanza is more likely to make noise than most, as it's only 8 pounds last I checked. Hoping that this is all it is it's normal. How do you like the lightweight flywheel, big improvement in acceleration ?
Old May 8, 2012, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

For you having a full faced organic disc chatter shouldn't be an issue. I'm inclined to believe something wasn't aligned or tightened to spec during installation.

Lanzer I've found out something out the TOBs for our cars. Exedy owns the pressure plate patent for our cars, as such they are the only producers of pressure plates for our cars. ACT and other companies buy from Exedy and rebuild to stronger spec. From my understanding the TOBs supplied from ACT are all Mitsubishi OEM. What has changed from my understanding is that ACT changed something about the build process of the plates and they aren't as good as many years ago.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:21 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

So the pressure plates are the culprit, nice to find this out although it took 8 years at least it's before I do some work.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

i bout an exedy oem repalcment clutch disk, pressure plate, and tob and so far all is good, clutch grips nice wish my tires did the same, pressure plate was improve heavy looked strong so and was only 300 shipped and taxes from rockauto so no complaints
Old May 8, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

It was an oem tob. i know the sound hasn't been there until recently which makes me think problem. It's almost a year old now and started last month

As for the flywheel itself its really fun. Revs real nice.

Last edited by soulesswarrior; May 8, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Based on my calculations the stock clutch should be good for a maximum of 200-235 wtq. Obviously consistent power at those high levels kills the clutch much faster.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
My ACT has chattered from day one, but only if i let the rpm drop too low when i'm starting off, like if i start from a stop in 2nd gear it chatters rather violently, but otherwise it hols firm, it's smooth, and engagement/disengagement doesn't seem to be an issue...
Old May 8, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

This thing makes a god awful noise from start till up to 40mph
Old May 8, 2012, 11:34 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

I have a question , what condition is the rubber boot on the bell housing for the clutch fork? Is it sealed tight? I personally think that this is what is causing the tob to fail prematurely. Rain, snow what have you slowly gets in through the boot and it leads right to the tob which rusts, dries out, fails, and squeals until it fails.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing down there that's kinda shady is the seal on the axle seeps gear oil. I may just switch to an exedy stocker. Swap that seal while its out.

Last edited by soulesswarrior; May 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

If you have not, please switch over the the Evo clutch master cylinder. For peace of mind.

As for drivetrain noise, if you have never heard a Twin Disc clutch...it's ****ing heinous. Sometime it sounds like a whale and a robot are humping. That single fact is making me dislike the Evo right now.

I remember the Clutchmaster clutch didn't chatter at all for me. Pretty smooth. A few different things can cause chatter with a clutch set-up. Sometime mixing and matching clutch components can be the culprit.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it sounds like a robot raping a bag of cans. And I will switch over to the evomaster asap
Old May 8, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

They can be had about for about 35 bucks and are plentiful in the Evo sale threads. Maybe 90 mins of labor including bleeding.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Will both the evo 8 and 9 master work?

Quick Reply: chatter fro clutch/flywheel?