Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

4G69 Tear Down Detail

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
impact won't take it off?
don't have one, but it probably would lol
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
should get one...lol

I got the Stanley impact tool set for $89 down from like $399, or $299 or something at Canadian tire there just before Christmas last year...not the best quality stuff, but comes with air impact, air ratchet, air hammer, die grinder and some accessories...comes in handy big time...one quick pull of the trigger on the air hammer will pop a tie rod end right out...now I just need a compressor that holds more than 3 gallons, and moves more than 3 CFM at 90psi, lol.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Feb 16, 2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

should get one...lol

I got the Stanley impact tool set for $89 down from like $399, or $299 or something at Canadian tire there just before Christmas last year...not the best quality stuff, but comes with air impact, air ratchet, air hammer, die grinder and some accessories...comes in handy big time...one quick pull of the trigger on the air hammer will pop a tie rod end right out...now I just need a compressor that holds more than 3 gallons, and moves more than 3 CFM at 90psi, lol.
I think I should - just more money to spend lol . I'm going to be working a lot more on my car in the coming months. The air compressor I have is a 5 gallon I think...from Canadian Tire too. Everyone else is probably like wtf is Canadian Tire
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by doncarbone
Everyone else is probably like wtf is Canadian Tire
i've seen them...never been to one tho...haha

basically it's like pep boys for anybody who doesn't know Canadian tire...
(it's like a parts store and repair shop in one...as far as I understand)

you could also go the cordless impact route...
they work quite well now, not like when they first came out where they were huge and useless...

kinda funny because on one of the vw forums I go to they're talking about this exact thing...what for air vs what for cordless

Last edited by nekkidlad; Feb 17, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If I remember correctly Don all the Mitsu special tool did was bolt into the flywheel side to keep it from turning. You can see what I did in my pictures. An adjustable and a socket on the rear balance shaft. Took some muscle but it gave way. An impact gun is always a handy tool. But if you cant break it loose with a bar and everything I would try some penetrating oil and some heat then try again. Maybe that will help to loosen it up.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I have a framing square that I bolt to the fly wheel and and let it run into the subframe
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

I have a framing square that I bolt to the fly wheel and and let it run into the subframe
lol that'll work - I stopped the flywheel side with a 28mm wrench fixed between 3 bolts lol; 2 on the flywheel side, and a 3rd bellhousing bolt.

i bought an impact wrench this evening actually; from Lordco (not that Canadian Tire wouldn't have worked just fine for my Canadian automotive needs, but Lordco is just 5 minutes down the road and they had ONE in stock!) ...it's a Chicago Pneumatic 734H - should work well with the little 5gal compressor I have. I started my vehicle project with nothing more than a shoddy set of basic hand tools, but slowly ive been building up a collection of essentials...figured now was a better time than ever to get an impact wrench as it will definitely have many, many uses as i plunge deeper into my addiction of working on this car.

Originally Posted by bakuro117
If I remember correctly Don all the Mitsu special tool did was bolt into the flywheel side to keep it from turning. You can see what I did in my pictures. An adjustable and a socket on the rear balance shaft. Took some muscle but it gave way. An impact gun is always a handy tool. But if you cant break it loose with a bar and everything I would try some penetrating oil and some heat then try again. Maybe that will help to loosen it up.
I agree, bakuro, it is going to take some oil and/or heat I think
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, I am definitely not worthy!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
should get one...lol

Late to the party here but Cranswick, is there a TSC near you ?
When they have compressors on sale they're a steal. If you have a 240V supply, you'll be laughing all the way, but the 120V models are good too.
Old May 10, 2016, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to bump an old thread guys. But I may be tearing down my other 4g69 engine soon to compare it with the one pictured here. The one in this thread was a timing belt skip, the other one was starved for oil. So we'll get to see the damages of both scenarios.

I wanted to add a chapter on removing the cradle, crank, and pistons. But I was wondering if there was anything else you all wanted to see in more detail?

Im thinking about adding all the bolt sizes and lengths, but that would get rather tedious. But I know there have been a few occasions where it would have been handy to know that info. So if that something you all would like to see please just let me know.
Old May 11, 2016, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Sorry to bump an old thread guys. But I may be tearing down my other 4g69 engine soon to compare it with the one pictured here. The one in this thread was a timing belt skip, the other one was starved for oil. So we'll get to see the damages of both scenarios.

I wanted to add a chapter on removing the cradle, crank, and pistons. But I was wondering if there was anything else you all wanted to see in more detail?

Im thinking about adding all the bolt sizes and lengths, but that would get rather tedious. But I know there have been a few occasions where it would have been handy to know that info. So if that something you all would like to see please just let me know.
Removing/Installing the camshaft?

Not sure if you'll even touch that part but I should have the head/spare cams from Delta within the next couple of days. I'll be sending it off to a local place a cousin recommended to see if they can custom grind it.

Would be nice to get some info on the procedure since I'll be doing it myself.
Old May 11, 2016, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3

Not sure if you'll even touch that part but I should have the head/spare cams from Delta within the next couple of days. I'll be sending it off to a local place a cousin recommended to see if they can custom grind it.

I have the complete head from my old engine.
Old May 11, 2016, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3

Very true! I didnt cover this cause i pulled the head and sent it off to be rebuilt. I could probably do a disassembly on this next one. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the good idea!
Old May 12, 2016, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the complete head from my old engine.
I'll take this comment as your willingness to donate to the cause if needed Thanks!

bakuro117 - Thanks for this thread. It has helped me a lot. I'm no mechanic but I tore the head off my engine, had it rebuilt and put it all back together. It's good to have information like this for reference.

CrAnSwIcK has helped me a ton as well, need to find out where to ship the keg of beer for him.