Notices

check engine light on after car boost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light on after car boost

I was at work and left my lights on by accident, I went to the car on my break and It wouldnt start, my alarm barly sounded, car wouldnt even crank, got boost from my friend and it started, let it idle a few mins then tried driving around a bit but I also noticed that upon starting it up when my friend boosted me, my check engine light was on. It wasnt on before the battery died. Anyone have a clue to why this is? or how to get rid of it?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Get the battery fully charged (a car's alternator really wasn't designed to charge a battery, it just maintains the charge)
Then drive the car normally for a week or 2, if the light is still on, get it checked out. It could be some minor problem that happened from the dead battery, if it was, the light should go out on its own.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

what if i reset the ecu, (unplug neg from battery for 10 mins and plug back and in turn on car let idle for 15)?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ralliarv
what if i reset the ecu, (unplug neg from battery for 10 mins and plug back and in turn on car let idle for 15)?
That doesn't really work with an OBD2 (sp?) car. The code is put in memory and removing the battery doesn't (or shouldn't) clear the code.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

so fully charge meaning boost it again but longer?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Meaning hook it up to a car battery charger overnight.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^battery charger would be best yes.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

How did leaving your lights on effect the car!?
The 04 Ralliart's lights go off automatically after you take out the car & open your door...???
Old Sep 26, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

im really not too sure, i walked to my car tried to disarm my alarm noticed that I didnt hear a sound or chrip, checked my remote to see if it was blinking and it was. Went to the car door pressed the disarm button again and finally i hear a very faint chirp and the doors unlocked barely. Then when i opened the door i heard the sound when your lights are on and the door is open the high pitched ring and i looked and my lights were in the on position still.. I tried to turn the car on nothing! Tried to put it into aux mode radio wouldnt turn on and somehow the cd that was in my deck eject but very very slowly. I was kinda scared at that part. Vent would turn on if I put it into the on mode dome light came on kinda but yeah its really strange.. I hope I can charge the battery by driving around, im scared of that check engine light.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Oh also i think the lights didnt go off because of my alarm/starter on 5spd, cuz the car stays on when you take out the key. It shuts off when you close the door but I think headlights DO stay on :S
Old Sep 26, 2004, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ralliarv
im really not too sure, i walked to my car tried to disarm my alarm noticed that I didnt hear a sound or chrip, checked my remote to see if it was blinking and it was. Went to the car door pressed the disarm button again and finally i hear a very faint chirp and the doors unlocked barely. Then when i opened the door i heard the sound when your lights are on and the door is open the high pitched ring and i looked and my lights were in the on position still.. I tried to turn the car on nothing! Tried to put it into aux mode radio wouldnt turn on and somehow the cd that was in my deck eject but very very slowly. I was kinda scared at that part. Vent would turn on if I put it into the on mode dome light came on kinda but yeah its really strange.. I hope I can charge the battery by driving around, im scared of that check engine light.
No need to be scared of it. It is nothing like the oil light or brake light. The check engine light simply means something in the emissions system has detected a problem (cylinder 1 misfire, lean condition, improper idle among 100s of other minor things).
I bet there is nothing wrong with your car, the ECU simply found some minor thing wrong after the jump and set the code, however if it doesn't go off in a week or 2, take it in. Driving with the check engine light on for a LONG time CAN do damage.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

-

Step one: fully charge the battery

Step two: reset the ECU* (if the light hasn't come off yet)

Step three: check to see if an audio amp or any other accesory stays on when you switch the ignition off. I've seen bad audio installs many times... most people forget to plug the remote wire when they install an amp. This would drain the battery in the course of half a day or so...

*: I've had to reset the ECU before (unplugged sensor when I switched the ingnition on). It does reset... and gom back to the base program. That also means it may run a bit rough the first 2 weeks or so (depends how often you drive the car). It will eventually remap itself to optimum configuration.

-
Old Sep 27, 2004, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you very much for all the help and replies RA buddies, reset ecu helped nothing to be scared of anymore everything is all good!