Notices

3rd/4th Gear Synchro Problems, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 3rd/4th Gear Synchro Problems, HELP!

Whats up,

My 3rd, and 4th gear synchro's are stripped. I've had this problem since I drove the car off the lot, and with 10k miles I brought it back in to get fixed.

They replaced 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear synchro's and said it was a "good will" warrenty work, and it was due to "agressive driving" and it is my fault, and that they would not do it again.

Since "Mark Mitsubishi in Phoenix, AZ" had fixed 3rd gear still had problems with grinding, but I didn't think much of it. It kept getting worse and worse, and now with 30k miles, I brought the car in, and they say they will not repair 3rd or 4th gear synchro's due to agressive driving.

I'm not really driving it very agressivly, I have ran it at the track maybe 7 runs, and came from running a 15.1, to a 15.8 because of this issue.

I don't drive it agressivly on the streets, so I know it isn't because of that, it just was never right when I bought it, hell the sales man grinded the gears on the damn test drive! Anyway, they are telling me it will be $2100 to fix, plus tax.

Maybe I should have been smarter about it, but I left my entire exhaust on, which is RRM Downpipe & Custom 2.5" catback with a magnaflow muffer, and he said I voided my warrenty. I told him I will fax him the Arizona Lemon Law, and he told me he would fax me the Arizona State Emissions Requirments.

Anyway, if I cant get this fixed, I will probobly sell it, and the buyer can deal with the issues. Can anyone out here help me out? Or tell me what or where I can buy the parts I need to have someone fix it my self?

Please any information can help, or legal information I can use against the dealer that may require them to fix it. Let me know guys, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

i've said it many times before...
those are the achiles heels of our cars....
the is a close solution to this problem, at least here, but we are still working on it
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

Call Mitsubishi, explain your problem and tell them how the dealer is being arrogant. The warranty on your tranny should not be affected in any way by any exhaust modifications you made. The dealership can fax you whatever, I'd tell him its pointless, the systems aren't connected. When you bought your car, you also bought an agreement that when that car did not work properly that Mitsubishi would fix it. I mean the whole 10 yr warranty thing is one of the reasons I bought my car, let Mitsubishi know that to. Tell them about the problem being there when the dealer test drove it... let us know what they say. That dealer sounds like he's being a pr|ck.

EDIT: I bet you are young, so the dealer thinks he can give you a hard time. Don't stand for it... this guy is supposed to be paid to help you out. If he sees a kid he thinks he can take advantage of, or he has misconceptions and makes statements like "well, you put on an aftermarket exhaust, you must be driving like a maniac", let him know you will not tolerate his condescending behaviour.

Last edited by Dre 8472; Apr 22, 2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:36 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not a good idea to take a car into the dealership without a cat on it. If they feel like being asses they could probably call the popo over to inspect it. Remind them of the Morrison-moss act. Exhaust is in no way associated with the tranny, and they can't prove that the car is driven agressively, unless you told them you took it to the track. If you told them that, you're ****ed.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do you tell if the synro's are stripped?? I'm having problems shifting and such...
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
Remind them of the Morrison-moss act. Exhaust is in no way associated with the tranny, and they can't prove that the car is driven agressively, unless you told them you took it to the track. If you told them that, you're ****ed.
Other than it being the Magnuson Moss Act, I agree.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=133614
this might be of little help..
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce988jl
how do you tell if the synro's are stripped?? I'm having problems shifting and such...
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++
How many miles have you got on it?
Ever changed the tranny fluid? What did you put in it if so?
Any other shifting-related mods? Bushings, clutch, clutch line?
Is the problem only in one or two gears, or all of them?
Old Apr 22, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Jason,

Your first mistake was taking it to Mark Mitsubishi for service. I highly recommend NOT taking your car there. IMO they are the worst "warranty service" dealership in Phoenix. I've been taking my EVO to Tempe Mitsubishi for the past year or so and have not been denied a warranty claim due to mods, abuse or any other lame reason dealerships use for denying warranty claims.

(A short statement of my experiences with Tempe Mitsu... I recently got my tranny replaced under warranty with 40k miles on my car - and many mods installed. I take my car there for oil changes, and other routine service also, so perhaps my loyalty to the dealership has helped me. I also bought my car there.)

I recommend calling Sam @ Tempe Mitsu, (480) 763-4024. Explain to him what's going on with your car and have Aaron take look at it. If your car was experiencing problems with bad synchros when you rolled off the lot then this should be covered under warranty with no hassles.

If you don't have a cat installed, I highly recommend putting it back in when taking it in for warranty work.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

-Doug

Last edited by naucrx; Apr 22, 2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:54 PM

I'll try Tempe Mitsu. NAUCRX do you know of anywhere in the valley that would put on a high flow cat for a good price, cuz most people are tellin me between $250, and $600. I'm like you guys are nuts, I could just put the stock one back on before I take it in, but it isn't an easy task unless I can get it on a car lift, like I had it on when I put the RRM Downpipe on. I tried with it on a floor jack, and there just was absolutely no access for me to move around and I couldn't see a damn thing neither.

Hey Dre 8742,

What number would I call, and who would I try to talk to with mitsubishi? I have absolutely no idea, and thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll let you know the status on what happins.

Jason
Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by stadik
I'll try Tempe Mitsu. NAUCRX do you know of anywhere in the valley that would put on a high flow cat for a good price, cuz most people are tellin me between $250, and $600. I'm like you guys are nuts, I could just put the stock one back on before I take it in, but it isn't an easy task unless I can get it on a car lift, like I had it on when I put the RRM Downpipe on. I tried with it on a floor jack, and there just was absolutely no access for me to move around and I couldn't see a damn thing neither.

Hey Dre 8742,

What number would I call, and who would I try to talk to with mitsubishi? I have absolutely no idea, and thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll let you know the status on what happins.

Jason
You shouldn't have too much trouble changing out the downpipe with the car on jackstands, I was able to do it without any trouble, there's just enough room to get a breaker bar under there.

Why did I type Morrison-Moss? I feel like a moron.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 01:38 AM

When you shift into another gear, primarily at high rpms and u can here and feel it "crunch" it's kinda nasty, just keeps gettin worse, and sometimes won't even engage in a gear and just grinds over and over, and u have to skip it....
Old Apr 23, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stadik
When you shift into another gear, primarily at high rpms and u can here and feel it "crunch" it's kinda nasty, just keeps gettin worse, and sometimes won't even engage in a gear and just grinds over and over, and u have to skip it....
Hm.. haven't had that one before, but my shifter (when in neutral) is really sticky and thick feeling and the actual shifting action for the shifter is really sloppy feeling. It used to be semi-crisp but now it just feels like i'm using jello as a shifter base. Feels like crap to put it in 3rd though, kinda feels like it's rubbing against something.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 07:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Hm.. haven't had that one before, but my shifter (when in neutral) is really sticky and thick feeling and the actual shifting action for the shifter is really sloppy feeling. It used to be semi-crisp but now it just feels like i'm using jello as a shifter base. Feels like crap to put it in 3rd though, kinda feels like it's rubbing against something.
That's the rubber bushings, upgrade to brass ones to improve that. Search around for more info