Notices

2 Runs With a Redline...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Runs With a Redline...WTF?

*Not illegal street racing by any means, let's just say that up front - the environment was as closed and controlled as it gets without going to the track*

Long story short - went against a Saturn Redline from a dead stop 2 times and took both races. As they're making...what, 205 HP...?....I figured I would be hurt. After the second race he yelled "..I thought they didn't have those in Canada", and I tried to explain what a Ralliart was, but I don't think I was understood. Either way - anyone know about these vehicles? I know the original Ion was biggg, but I didn't think they were *that* heavy?
Old May 30, 2005, 02:10 PM

WTF, was he racing? If he was, he needs to put down the license and back away slowly.
Old May 30, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

I have no idea, but I'm guessing if it were the Cobalt SS it would probably have been a different story even though they are putting out the same amount of power?
Old May 30, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

From what I read of them, they are jokes. The engine was put to good use in the Cobalt SS, but the designer of the cars even said the Ion was a joke in comparison and that any interested buyers should wait for the Cobalt. I guess a big reason was the horrible gearing that eliminated any advantage the engine had. The Cobalt probably should have given you a better run...
-N

Last edited by neilschelly; May 30, 2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old May 30, 2005, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neilschelly
From what I read of them, they are jokes. The engine was put to good use in the Cobalt SS, but the designer of the cars even said the Ion was a joke in comparison and that any interested buyers should wait for the Cobalt. I guess a big reason was the horrible gearing that eliminated any advantage the engine had. The Cobalt probably should have given you a better run...

And that said, cut out the damned street racing... whatever you want to call it. If it wasn't at a track, it was probably illegal. And you know that or you wouldn't have even tried to clarify it. "Drives: ...very cautiously" ... HA.
-N
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the Cobalt SS was supposedly the fastest and best handling FWD car to date. Dunno if they are over exaggerating or what though.

Either way, it's a nice looking ride... which is starting to go off-topic.
Old May 30, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

And that said, cut out the damned street racing... whatever you want to call it. If it wasn't at a track, it was probably illegal. And you know that or you wouldn't have even tried to clarify it. "Drives: ...very cautiously" ... HA.
-N
Well, private piece of property that's paved and running alongside a cornfield is about as close to a track as it gets around here without a multiple hour roadtrip. The reason it was clarified was to seperate it from those who look to judge street racing need not comment negatively here; somehow even after clarification, though, it got reamed on. As far as the topic's concerned, I did a bit of research and apparently yeah, the gearing is pretty poor for those cars. Shame too, nice engine to modify it seems.
Old May 30, 2005, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

lol! This from Sport Compact Car:

"There are two great things about the new Saturn ION Red Line. Two things any enthusiast would marvel at. Two things that set a new standard for the class and should send engineers from Mazda, Honda, Nissan and Subaru back to their drafting tables. Those two things are the car's front seats."

and

"..That limiter combines with a too-tall second gear and that lethargic tach needle to sabotage what could be a fun engine. It certainly makes good power, but as it's set up, it's nearly impossible to drive hard without running into the limiter.."
Acceleration
0-30 mph: 2.8 sec.
0-60 mph: 7.1 sec.
30-50 mph: 2.9 sec.
50-70 mph: 3.7 sec.
Quarter Mile time: 15.3 sec.
Quarter Mile speed: 94.5 mph
Old May 30, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

what a joke. i mean seriously, why put a nice motor in if you're gonna limit it?
Old May 30, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Azure
Well, private piece of property that's paved and running alongside a cornfield is about as close to a track as it gets around here without a multiple hour roadtrip. The reason it was clarified was to seperate it from those who look to judge street racing need not comment negatively here; somehow even after clarification, though, it got reamed on. As far as the topic's concerned, I did a bit of research and apparently yeah, the gearing is pretty poor for those cars. Shame too, nice engine to modify it seems.

My apologies then if that was the case. I imagine if you clarified that this was on a paved lot on your private property, that would have served as a better disclaimer. And for having that amount of pavement at your disposal, I envy you.
-N
Old May 30, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

My apologies then if that was the case. I imagine if you clarified that this was on a paved lot on your private property, that would have served as a better disclaimer. And for having that amount of pavement at your disposal, I envy you.
-N
Don't get too envious, as it smells like cow crap for the majority of the summer/fall. lol
Old May 30, 2005, 02:38 PM

15.3? That's crap. Those SSC pencil jockey's can't drive. Motor trend got the Redline down the 1320 in 14.7 seconds, which IMO is still **** poor compared to what it should be able to do. Still, I guess if it's that hard to drive without pegging the limiter, then it's a very believable story then. AND, it make's the name Redline all the more appropriate, yes?
Old May 30, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

The ION in stock form is a high 14's to low 15's car. I wouldn't call it a joke, but the cobalt SS is the better of the 2.

Im not surprise at your run... good job.
Old May 30, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

I HATE to do this, but ill get in trouble if this stays up, the best I can do is close it. ANYTHING that even resembles street racing on this board is a big no no, but seriously, I dont make the rules, I only enforce them. sorry.