Notices

Simple Question About Painting Break Calipers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a long time ago before the caliper paint kits, i used epoxy enamel, worked great and did not need a primer. just clean calipers real well w/ brake cleaner and then laquer thinner before working. use a tooth brush if you have too.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used dupli color caliper paint.

WARNING!!!! if you do paint your calipers dont take the caliper off. leave it on and paint it. i took of the bottom bolt so i could paint the bottom part easier. when i put it back together, i did not tighten the caliper tight enough and the bolt fell off! also when you put one your rims, toque it to 80 ft not 100ft. i broke my lug nut when i tried to take of my rims when it was at 100. Yes i am a noob. but i got it fixed.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
does anyone know if like header paint would work as well for the calipers, i would imagine so but i wouldnt know
Old Jun 24, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by the-kid
This is on one of my next to do's......can I see a picture of one done?
I'll get a pic tomorrow, when it's light outside.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

dupli colour is the best paint to use so far, but if you live where it snows and they salt the roads plan on doing this every spring, salt will eat through the paint .i was woundering about ceramic coating the calipers, more time and money but it will save you pulling off your brakes every year and painting again
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

I used a spray that is recommended for heat. Go to your local auto parts shop and they will direct you to the right type of paint. Tape the areas you don't want paint on, and spray away, it dries within 15 minutes or so. Be sure to clean the surface first using a brush. With the harsh winters we have in Ontario here, I had to re-apply more paint when I switched my tires over from winter to summer, not a big deal though, as it dries fast.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
i used dupli color caliper paint.

WARNING!!!! if you do paint your calipers dont take the caliper off. leave it on and paint it. i took of the bottom bolt so i could paint the bottom part easier. when i put it back together, i did not tighten the caliper tight enough and the bolt fell off! also when you put one your rims, toque it to 80 ft not 100ft. i broke my lug nut when i tried to take of my rims when it was at 100. Yes i am a noob. but i got it fixed.

I was told if I was gonna paint them to take the calipers off so that you will get the best coverage and there is less chance of getting the paint on parts that shouldn't be painted.

After hearing what you just said, can anybody acknowledge what is the best way to do this? With calipers on or off?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
either or, i was lazy on my last 2 cars and left them on.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

i left mine on...be sure before you paint it that you use like a dremmel or something and get all the rust off of it, otherwise your just painting the rust...
Old Jun 25, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I took mine off, and removed the pads and clips. Shot it with brake cleaner, wiped with a rag, then shot with brake cleaner again. When that dried, I brushed on the paint. With the calipers off the car, I could turn them over to get in all the spots you wouldn't be able to reach with them on the car.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by the-kid
This is on one of my next to do's......can I see a picture of one done?
Same here, I'll try to dig up some pics. I really want to see a stock black RA with red caliper paint nicely done. Hopefully I'll find something.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackhawkRA
Same here, I'll try to dig up some pics. I really want to see a stock black RA with red caliper paint nicely done. Hopefully I'll find something.
Hehehe.. I have a black RA, and I bought the red kit today. I will prob do it tomorrow. I will post pics.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wrecked
Hehehe.. I have a black RA, and I bought the red kit today. I will prob do it tomorrow. I will post pics.
Sweet! Take a hell of a lot of pics and see if you can get step-by-step pics too. Btw, some threads with other pics:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=133162
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99462
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94179
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=74500
Old Jun 25, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

yes taking off the caliper gets better coverage and and not drips but be sure to tighten both top and bottom bolt very good and not too tight. i took of the bottom bolt and the top bolt fell off.

i also painted the hub of the rotor. it looks pretty cool. it looks like i have aftermarket rotors
Old Jun 25, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

pictureeeees

Quick Reply: Simple Question About Painting Break Calipers