Notices

What is causing cricket chirping noise? 06

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is causing cricket chirping noise? 06

In my 06 I have noticed a cricket chirping sound coming from the left of the dash. This happens with or without my AC fans going so it doesn't seem to be the cause. It seems like it happens when I hit bumps as I drive. I cannot make it happen by revving the engine at a stand still. Happens no matter the speed I am driving.

Any ideas on what this could be?
Old May 14, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe there's a cricket under there
Old May 14, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by $MIVEC$
Maybe there's a cricket under there

LOL, beat me to it.

Are you sure the noise is from the front and not that you are hearing the squeaking of our notoriously lousy rear suspension arms ?

Try this, generously spray silicone lube or WD 40 on all of the bushings and bolts on the rear suspension arms and antisway bar. Let the car sit overnight and see how it is on the next drive.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Mine does this every now and then too. Ive gotten to where I just ignore it or just turn up the radio. But I know what you are talking about. Ive tried to locate the source of the chirping and I cant find it either. When it was driving me crazy it did it at stand still, and while driving. Gave up on it after a while. I'll pay attention on my lunch break and see if it still does it.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
LOL, beat me to it.

Are you sure the noise is from the front and not that you are hearing the squeaking of our notoriously lousy rear suspension arms ?

Try this, generously spray silicone lube or WD 40 on all of the bushings and bolts on the rear suspension arms and antisway bar. Let the car sit overnight and see how it is on the next drive.
I am pretty positive its coming from the dash. I can hear it for sure in that area. I do have some wd40 though so I can spray it, can't hurt to try it I guess.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

I decided to try and isolate the noise more on my lunch, nadda. I opened the windows up to hear if I could hear the sound from the outside and didn't. Smooth road, nice and quiet. It definitely happens with bumps and it's driving me nuts.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem. I saved a couple of threads about this a few months ago on my laptop. I'll post the links tonight when I get home. If you have ever removed your gauge cluster, it can be the wires chirping making contact with something. I haven't gotten around to fixing mine either. The volume button on my radio has been the temporary solution.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jabl3s
I have the same problem. I saved a couple of threads about this a few months ago on my laptop. I'll post the links tonight when I get home. If you have ever removed your gauge cluster, it can be the wires chirping making contact with something. I haven't gotten around to fixing mine either. The volume button on my radio has been the temporary solution.
Those links would be great, thanks a ton. I did recently swap out my deck for a new one. I am def going to pull things out tonight and see if there is anything in there getting in the way. I did put in wiring harness. I guess I would be looking for wear on the harness. In terms of the gauge cluster, I have not pulled out anything there.

Last edited by johnnycage; May 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Yea bro, same here. I read that Mitsu did some kind of recall thing that it might be the clips outside where the rubber rain guard is in the front left windshield. If you know what I mean, I can't quite remember the names. I'll post a link if I can find it
Old May 14, 2012, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ueak-help.html

There are multiple possible problems based on this thread. Even though this is an Evo thread, I still think our situation is the same.

My guess for an answer to your/my problem would be post #104
Old May 15, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

I pulled out my deck, re-tucked the wire harness and this morning *knocks on wood* no chirp. Will see if its that way still in a few days.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Got the same issue. These lancers are annyoing. I got some kind of chirping coming from the dash someplace, another rattle from the left side of the guage cluster, and yet another rattle from the center console somewheres. It's driving me nuts.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll tell you guys what Otter said a while back about those rattles and chirps, "just turn up the music" because it will be a never ending battle
Old May 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah it's usually just an interior panel clip let go, or is no longer as tight as it should be, or two panels rubbing together, the body of the car flexes, there will be rubbing of interior panels...you'll have the whole interior apart hunting for it...
Old May 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Yup I'm good now. It was my wiring harness for the new alpine deck that I put in last month. Caused my own grief.