Notices

Preffered octane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preffered octane

In about a week or so my car will have the rpw stage 2 cam installed and the hackish reflash..... I am currently putting 89 octane in my car now but i was wondering if i shouldmtune my car to 89 or would i be better off tuning the car to 91?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with the cam setup and tune I would go 91. Would be safer.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah thats exactly wat i was thinking too
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The hackish tune is set for 91 octane, at least mine is, and I think it's what he tunes for normally. If you spend lots of time at high rpm (track day type stuff), or if its a blistering summer, higher octane helps avoid knock when the engine gets really hot. Where I live, 94 octane is only 2 cents a liter more than 91 octane so I buy that (at what was Sunoco, they are now Petro Canada).

I just looked at my stock spark plugs, the tip insulator and ground electrode are coated really light grey, almost white. No metallic blobs though, and no erosion, with 50,000 km on them. I've never had a knock CEL. It appears the engine does run hot the way I use it so besides using high octane fuel I just ordered one range colder plugs, we'll see what they look like after some use.

My oil temp gauge was reading 230-240 F at 120-130 km/h highway speeds in summer, and around 270F during simple track days. The oil cooler I installed has lowered that tremendously, by 30-40 F. I am also going to cut vent slots into the hood ( a how-to will be posted soon), like the evo-style carbon fibre hoods the guys buy, to help cool the engine bay.

Yeah, do 91 octane with those mods, and maybe one step colder plugs (NGK LFR7AIX, hope they are the right ones!).
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
The hackish tune is set for 91 octane, at least mine is, and I think it's what he tunes for normally. If you spend lots of time at high rpm (track day type stuff), or if its a blistering summer, higher octane helps avoid knock when the engine gets really hot. Where I live, 94 octane is only 2 cents a liter more than 91 octane so I buy that (at what was Sunoco, they are now Petro Canada).

I just looked at my stock spark plugs, the tip insulator and ground electrode are coated really light grey, almost white. No metallic blobs though, and no erosion, with 50,000 km on them. I've never had a knock CEL. It appears the engine does run hot the way I use it so besides using high octane fuel I just ordered one range colder plugs, we'll see what they look like after some use.

My oil temp gauge was reading 230-240 F at 120-130 km/h highway speeds in summer, and around 270F during simple track days. The oil cooler I installed has lowered that tremendously, by 30-40 F. I am also going to cut vent slots into the hood ( a how-to will be posted soon), like the evo-style carbon fibre hoods the guys buy, to help cool the engine bay.

Yeah, do 91 octane with those mods, and maybe one step colder plugs (NGK LFR7AIX, hope they are the right ones!).
Sounds great, thanks for the help!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 93. Probably could run 91 with hacks tune, but I dont mind paying a few cents more to know I am more protected from knock.