Notices

gauge pillar please help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge pillar please help

I bought gauges n pillar for oil pressure a tach n air to fuel ration it came with wiring harness but no directions. The wires ARE marked for a constant power, a power thats turns off n on with a accesery n grounds. Also has a orange wire to connect to headlights? As a dimmer...should i run i switch? Also i wss wonering if i needed anything else for the oil pressure besides the provided t fitting which i hsve no idea what to do with. Can anybody throw anything at me as the which constant power wirr i should use and alternative power i should use n which wire is the stock tach power. Thanks for imput in help so far with my little project much love
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i think i talked a little bit about it in my build thread but i didn't do an entire how-to, but i guess i could do one. what i used was the power lock circuit for constant, and i would have liked to have used head lights, post-relay as you say, for illumination only, so they only illuminate when your dash lights are on. even better would be the cluster illumination, so you can dim them as well, but i used an ignition circuit that i thought was cluster lighting, but it needs to be parallel to the cluster illumination after the dimmer instead of parallel to the entire cluster power circuit. so mine are on and illuminated when the car's on, even with the head lights off i think the constant voltage is normally to "remember" what color it's supposed to be if it changes color, if not maybe it's something else, other than that it's just power or signal, rather and of course a good ground. this can be common.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 3, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:15 AM

thanks dude. I was thinking about it last night and can I use my cigarette lighter oulet az a cinstant power I.figure this would be easiest to get to also,for the accesnory could I use my radio? im at work so when I get home ill look imto the places u used also when I get free time ill look thro ur thread. N yes the gauge do change n remember saved colors....do u know nethimg about the oil preesure gauge n where the.t fitting.goes n what does it do exactly..this is going suck... Thanks for ur time n help so far
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

don't use the cigarette lighter, it's not consant, and has too much current, you would have to modify the circuit to get it to work. for constant use power locks, it's always on and doesn't draw any current, it's only to hold a logic state. and for illumination you would want to run it off the cluster dimmer.

the T fitting is for the oil pressure sending unit which should have came with the gauge...it's a pressure sensor that outputs a voltage range proportional to the pressure range of the sending unit, you would connect it to any source where the engine oil is under pressure, so you can take it from the back of the block, or from the oil filter housing, both require adapters, do you know what type of threads are on the T fitting?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:58 PM

The thread size says 1/8" I Attached a picture n as an attachment i hope it works i just got this tablet n still trn to figure it out if it doent work ill try again. Thanks for the heads up on what wires to use n not. Another questiin can i hook all three gauges to the one same wire like the power lock wire n dimmer ect... also what should i use to connect the wires those clips that just snap er splice if u will together n would 18 gauge wire be suffient. I dont mix well with wiring n electricity thats why i came here first,. A while back i had a strut n coilover question u suggested 2 go with kyb n tein stech. I bought n installed big difference i seen on rrm the camber kit would this be a good investment er a waste of time messin with it n money. Thanks for everthing thus far. Ill get back to this when i can.
Attached Thumbnails gauge pillar please help-20121004_221314.jpg  
Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

that picture is your oil pressure sending unit, looks very much like mine, so likely has a 1/8 NPT fitting. to connect it, you will need an adapter of some kind...

the one i have works well, cause it also feeds my stock oil pressure switch, and the turbo as well...i got it from stealthmode performance. It goes on the back of the block.

http://stealthmodeperformance.com/oil-blockfit.shtml

however, you can also use an oil filter sandwich adapter...

for the wiring, yes you hook them all up to the same circuit for power, in parallel that way the voltage will be the same for all of them. and groud them to the same spot. for splicing, i highly recommend soldering, but you can get away with twist splicing. 18 gauge should be fine.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 4, 2012 at 09:32 PM.