Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Defi Controller Wiring w/ Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Defi Controller Wiring w/ Oil Pressure Gauge

I installed the Defi BF oil pressure gauge and the controller Ver2 this weekend. Searched the entire site for wiring installation before I did the install. Found a few different direction, but no one sure way to wire up the Orange (Ignition) and White (Illumination). Decided to followed the wiring according to this https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...rojectevo/24/3.

Defi Wire Stock Wire
Constant Power (Red) »Black w/ Red Stripe on Radio Harness
Ground (Black) » Black Wire from Cigarette Lighter
Ignition On (Orange) »Red Wire from Cigarette Lighter
Illumination (White) »Green w/ White Stripe Wire from Cigarette Lighter

Sure enough, the oil pressure gauge keeps beeping when the key is at ACC. I am pretty sure the problem is Defi Controller's Orange Wire.

I realize if the oil pressure gauge was not installed, the above wiring would work fine. So, for those who had installed the Defi with oil pressure gauge, what wire did you tap onto for the Orange wire, and not having any problem?

Please help. And, hopefully this will help other people too.
Attached Thumbnails Help! Defi Controller Wiring w/ Oil Pressure Gauge-wiretapsforcigarettelighter.jpg  
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

use the clock wires. U need a test light though. Take the harness off the clock. one far pin is the constant 12v, on the farthest side of the harness is the ACC 12v the pin next to the ACC is the lamp wire (when you turn ur headlight to the on postion before the lights come on) and the pin locted next to the constant 12 and Lamp pin is the ground.

The Black wire on the clock is ground and to the right pin I believe is a red wire with a blue line. Pm me if you need assistance if you have questions or accesing the clock. I just wired my defi this weekend. Did you use a greddy adapter for the oil pressure gauge
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JMB8606
use the clock wires. U need a test light though. Take the harness off the clock. one far pin is the constant 12v, on the farthest side of the harness is the ACC 12v the pin next to the ACC is the lamp wire (when you turn ur headlight to the on postion before the lights come on) and the pin locted next to the constant 12 and Lamp pin is the ground.

The Black wire on the clock is ground and to the right pin I believe is a red wire with a blue line. Pm me if you need assistance if you have questions or accesing the clock. I just wired my defi this weekend. Did you use a greddy adapter for the oil pressure gauge
You mean hooking up the Orange (Ignition) wire to a constant 12v power wire for the clock? Does your oil pressure gauge beep while the key at ACC?

I used the oil temp/pressure adapter from 42draftdesign http://www.42draftdesigns.com/product/42921.htm. The oil pressure install was much easier than EGT.

Last edited by dreamevo; Sep 18, 2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone please? Need to know what wire did you use to tap the orange wire, if you have oil pressure gauge.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

It sounds like you did it right. You have no oil pressure in the acc position, that's why your gauge is beeping.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JMB8606

......just make sure to upgrade fuse for added draw. The ashtray light is easily located as well.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dreamevo
Does your oil pressure gauge beep while the key at ACC?
Yes - because, as 2xUgly01 stated, there is no oil pressure at ACC...........

The Defi manual even states under the "Troubleshooting Section" that this is normal.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

orange wire to switched 12v source....Ignition switch check you fuse box for the ignition wire. when the key is on it's hot.
Light wire...grey wire. to the dimmer switch, which is conneted with the clock, but easier to go with the ashtray light. when you switch the light on the gauge will dim itself.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. I rewired my Orange wire of the defi CU to the turbo timer harness, which is connected to the ignition harness.

So, for those of you who want the defi gauges turned on when the car is at ON position, tap the Orange wire to the GREEN wire of the ignition harness. From the ignition harness, the red wire is the constant 12v power and the blue wire is the ACC power.

Defi Control Unit Wiring, guarantee work!
Red (constant 12v power) - tap to either red wire of ignition harness, red/black wire of radio harness
Orange (ignition) - tap to green wire of ignition harness for ON, blue wire of ignition harness for ACC, or brown wire of cigarette lighter for ACC
White (illumination) - tap to green wire of cigarette lighter
Black (ground) - tap to black wire of cigaretter lighter, or any metal bolts/parts

Now, I can listen to radio when the key is at ACC without beeping from the oil pressure gauge.

Hope this help...
Attached Thumbnails Help! Defi Controller Wiring w/ Oil Pressure Gauge-ignition-wire.jpg  
Old Sep 20, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
FYI, the illumination wire does not appear to work correctly on the IX. Also, when you lower the dimmer it actually increases the voltage for the bulbs as they go dim So, when I lower the dimmer dial my DEFI gauge gets brighter as my dash lights go dim. As I raise the dimmer dial the dash lights get brighter and the DEFI gauge goes dark. Also, you cannot see the gauge during the day unless I switch on my parking lights.