Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mpg

I have looked through most of the RA threads, but I havent found the answer im looking for. The RA's engine is very similar to the EVO, and with the RA using AWD, this car is probably looking at an average of 18 mpg (EVO EPA average). Of course we can only speculate gas mileage due to the RA not being released at this time, but I was wondering if anyone has any info about what mileage we can expect.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Apparently, with the release of the 2nd reflash, the X's are getting alot better mpg... some people in the X forums are claiming 27 mpg highway
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's going to be pretty much the same as the Evo's. AWD, same engine (as far as cruising speeds go), pretty close to the same weight.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:50 AM

what does the RA weigh? ive been looking but havent found a number, everone just says close to an evo. Ive been getting 34mpg avg in my lancer oz, i plan on getting a ra when they come out but im going to miss the gas millage
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:13 AM

I believe there is a pdf in one of the 2009 RA threads stating the car will weigh 3400ish pounds. Also, if they are truely marketing this to compete against the WRX, I think Car and Driver got like 20 mpg in combined driving so I would think you would expect the same (I think it was the campro between the MS3, volvo, and something else). It returned the worst mileage. I would love to see 25-27 combined driving to make it more of an option for my next car. But I think that is wishful thinking.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

my logical guess would say very close to the EVO. The ralliart is very heavy compared to a WRX and that is the key ingredient in ruining a cars mpg. Along with AWD and turbo, I suspect the EPA rating to be something like 23-24 hwy at best. The EVO folks may actually beat the ralliart mpg as the weight and drivetrain are similar, but the EVO has more usable torque as well to move the mass. But who knows for sure until the real numbers come out.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eg6motion
my logical guess would say very close to the EVO. The ralliart is very heavy compared to a WRX and that is the key ingredient in ruining a cars mpg. Along with AWD and turbo, I suspect the EPA rating to be something like 23-24 hwy at best. The EVO folks may actually beat the ralliart mpg as the weight and drivetrain are similar, but the EVO has more usable torque as well to move the mass. But who knows for sure until the real numbers come out.
OK, I'm not actually an expert in mileage ratings, but weight of the vehicle is almost completely irrelevant for steady highway driving -- the only relevance of weight on a highway is the very slight increase in friction against the road. The engine, drivetrain, and aerodynamics are the key factors on the highway, not the weight.

The Evo engine is inefficient because of the extreme engine modifications for power (rather than for mileage), just like the WRX STi. The Ralliart has an engine much more similar to the WRX, which has the following mileage on the 2008 models:

city: 20 mpg (vs 17 for the STi, 16 for the Evo X GSR, 15 for the Evo X MR*)
highway: 25 mpg (vs 23 for the STi, 22 for the Evo X GSR, 23 for the Evo X MR*)

*based on Canadian specs for 2008 Evo X MR

Can't see how Mitsubishi could sell the Ralliart too far off of the WRX mark, and please, please, please don't tell me you plan to buy a Ralliart and then use it mostly to toodle around town during rush hour... obviously the MR isn't a good choice for doing that either -- my guess for the Ralliart is that it will be 18/25 mpg.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by aestival
Can't see how Mitsubishi could sell the Ralliart too far off of the WRX mark, and please, please, please don't tell me you plan to buy a Ralliart and then use it mostly to toodle around town during rush hour... obviously the MR isn't a good choice for doing that either -- my guess for the Ralliart is that it will be 18/25 mpg.
I dont make enough money to have a daily driver PLUS a sunday drive vehicle.. so the RA would be both (daily and sunday drive) if i get one.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AceofspadeS
I dont make enough money to have a daily driver PLUS a sunday drive vehicle.. so the RA would be both (daily and sunday drive) if i get one.
Well, I did say mostly toodle around town -- hopefully if you're buying a Ralliart, most of your driving won't be strict commuting -- if you can't manage to at least fit in fun driving on weekends, then driving something like the Ralliart in rush hour every day is just going to make you feel bad about your sorry life. Plus, you'll have less money because of the car and the gas it will consume, so your life really will be sorrier, if all you do is commute to work daily (unless work happens to be at a race track or the end of a good rural mountain highway, I suppose).
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aestival
Well, I did say mostly toodle around town -- hopefully if you're buying a Ralliart, most of your driving won't be strict commuting -- if you can't manage to at least fit in fun driving on weekends, then driving something like the Ralliart in rush hour every day is just going to make you feel bad about your sorry life. Plus, you'll have less money because of the car and the gas it will consume, so your life really will be sorrier, if all you do is commute to work daily (unless work happens to be at a race track or the end of a good rural mountain highway, I suppose).
It's funny that you say that because my work just happens to take me on wide open high speed roads and curvy mountain roads everyday. I was hoping my GTS would tame some of those stretches but lets face it, a bone stock Lancer is a dog. Hopefully the Ralliart will make me proud. The only downside is the gas but, what the hell, I get reimbursed.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon
It's funny that you say that because my work just happens to take me on wide open high speed roads and curvy mountain roads everyday. I was hoping my GTS would tame some of those stretches but lets face it, a bone stock Lancer is a dog. Hopefully the Ralliart will make me proud. The only downside is the gas but, what the hell, I get reimbursed.
Nice, and no serious problems with gas if you take those roads at speed -- something like 22-25 mpg is not so terrible, really, especially given that you get to drive a Ralliart, on top of getting to your destination.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:40 PM

I really hope they will find a good middle ground for performance and mpg with the RA, im excited to own a car with some *****, but a 10mpg drop from my oz in a time where gas is going up like a $1 a year scares me.