Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Mileage

I have 5,500 Kms on it now and am maxing out at about 350 Kms ( 90% ) street driving. I am just wondering if this about average for the car. Do you guys think the mail in from AMS would with increase the gas mileage significantly? ( excluding the boost pill) .... ( the obvious being power and torque) If so do you think the leaner settings ( which I hear the mail in does) will make my RA run too hot during the summer months.

For sure the car right now runs rich...that I have heard all over the forums and its backed up with its less than average mpg.

Last but not least, is it going to be an issue with in the event of a service or check up with the car for warranty purposes. ( I am thinking yes....but the other option is that I send the ecu back for resetting to AMS) in the event.....

Just wanted your opinions on this.

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/20...les-empty.html

this thread should give you an idea.

Also guys have noticed that they get worse mileage if they run fuel with ethanol in it.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Trumpfan
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/20...les-empty.html

this thread should give you an idea.

Also guys have noticed that they get worse mileage if they run fuel with ethanol in it.
Most cars get worse mileage with ethonal in the gas, unless your car is designed for it.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Alot of the higher octane fuel here in canada (could be states too I'm not sure) obtains its high octane rating from up to 15% ethanol additive, I'm not talking about E85 or anything like that.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:43 PM

I got ya. We got 10% ethonal here in Texas. Had it also out in Delaware. I've heard of some places going as high as 20% in the states, but can't remember where. While in Delaware I could;ve swore that they increased the ethanol percentage during the winter also. All around the ethonal eats a little at your mileage.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trumpfan
Alot of the higher octane fuel here in canada (could be states too I'm not sure) obtains its high octane rating from up to 15% ethanol additive, I'm not talking about E85 or anything like that.
That's only true where ethanol is still subsidized, which I believe does not include any of the provinces in Atlantic Canada. BC has subsidies that make sense (tied to the forest industry and emerging technologies for converting cellulose to ethanol), while the others all seem to be wrong-headed farm subsidies.

Steer clear of high-ethanol fuel unless it's bitterly cold (potentially better starting when the temp's down in the vicinity of -40, due to less issues with frozen water). Ethanol has about half the energy content of gasoline per litre (or gallon), so when your fuel is 15% ethanol, the same tank of fuel will only take you about 93% as far. That's not a good thing in a Ralliart, which has limited enough mileage to start with (plus it means you're spending about 8% more than you think you are for fuel, since it's poorer fuel, energy-wise). E85 fuel is far more appalling, in terms of mileage, but I didn't think that the Ralliart was rated for E85.

Last edited by aestival; Mar 1, 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

In Toronto, Shell's 91 Octane V-Power has 0% Ethanol. So you should notice a bump in economy.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

I've been noticing increases in fuel economy with the increase in temperature. I'm getting ~10L/100km (around 22mpg) all city.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

I'm only getting 16 to 18mpg with combined city and highway - 50/50 - is something wrong with my Ralliart? ~
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

How hard are you driving? Are there alot of hills? (My gas mileage is awful at school with alot of hills, easily 2-3mpg worse than at home) I wouldn't be too worried.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:24 AM
C H
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shabsralliart
I have 5,500 Kms on it now and am maxing out at about 350 Kms ( 90% ) street driving. I am just wondering if this about average for the car. Do you guys think the mail in from AMS would with increase the gas mileage significantly? ( excluding the boost pill) .... ( the obvious being power and torque) If so do you think the leaner settings ( which I hear the mail in does) will make my RA run too hot during the summer months.

For sure the car right now runs rich...that I have heard all over the forums and its backed up with its less than average mpg.

Last but not least, is it going to be an issue with in the event of a service or check up with the car for warranty purposes. ( I am thinking yes....but the other option is that I send the ecu back for resetting to AMS) in the event.....

Just wanted your opinions on this.

Thanks

The Ralliart is rated at 12.2 L/100km for city. Assuming you are filling up with 45L you are getting 45L/3.5= 12.86L/100km so not too far off from the rating.

It is too bad the economy meter resets itself to 0 after 4 hours, otherwise you'd have an indicator of what you got per tank.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

The reflash should give you better gas mileage. It's pretty tough to keep it at above 20mpg.
You can't boost and drive in vacuum. It's also tougher because this turbo spools instantly.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:14 AM

You could always ask a tuner to tune your car for a more mileage-favorable A/F ratio rather than a max-performance tune. Ask them to make it around 11 to 11.5:1 rather than the stock 9:1 and you'll get better mileage out of the car, if that's what you are going for.