Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

09 Ralliart Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 09 Ralliart Oil Change

so my Ralliart is at 4500 miles and I'm taking it to the dealership for its first oil change, just curious though does the Ralliart use synthetic oil? not that I dont trust the dealer that they know what they're doing but I want to mention it just in case if the Ralliart really only takes synthetic oil....thanks
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you looked in the owners manual?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmguser
have you looked in the owners manual?
I know it's in there and I'm straight up telling you im too lazy to look.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

5w-30 non syn
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

CORRECT> my dealer oil change only cost me ten bucks! sweet!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

IMHO, if your going to spend all this money on a new car, why wouldn't you tell them to go full syn on your first oil change? if not for the extra protection, but for better cold starting as well?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Doesn't the Evo X use Mobil 1 Synthethic straight from the factory? Wouldn't the Ralliart be the same?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a dealer tell me it was synthetic...they could've just wanted to shaft me for my money though.

But I still opted for synthetic when I went in for my oil changes though. Makes me feel a little comfortable with these Michigan winters around here... (Didn't do it at dealer because 1] They were out of synth. oil. 2] They wanted to charge me 85$. )
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitRA
I had a dealer tell me it was synthetic...they could've just wanted to shaft me for my money though.

But I still opted for synthetic when I went in for my oil changes though. Makes me feel a little comfortable with these Michigan winters around here... (Didn't do it at dealer because 1] They were out of synth. oil. 2] They wanted to charge me 85$. )
Yea, I never understood why you can go to Walmart and get Mobil 1 Synthetic for $26 and a filter for $4 ($30 oil change) and than also for some regular GTX oil and filter it costs you like $26 something yet at shops when you go its $32.XX for a regular oil change and than $70+ for a synthetic.

Sorry just like the smiley's.

Last edited by 98GSXtreme07; Jan 12, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trumpfan
IMHO, if your going to spend all this money on a new car, why wouldn't you tell them to go full syn on your first oil change? if not for the extra protection, but for better cold starting as well?

once you get syn. you gotta stay with syn...thats gets expensive
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

It's not so expensive if you change it yourself, I get Amsoil from a guy at work at his cost, so It's about the same cost as dino oil.

You can mix dino and syn if the spec is the same (not the weight) the API spec, no problems.

*edit--I'm not going to trying to start a syn vs dino oil war so I'll end that right now. I was just saying that if you spend a whack of cash on a shiny new car why not baby it.

Last edited by Trumpfan; Jan 12, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:00 PM

Yep, when I started to have to use synthetic, that's when I started doing my own oil changes.

Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

"Despite their name, most synthetic derived motor oils (ie Mobil 1, Castrol Formula RS etc ) are actually derived from mineral oils - they are mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas. PAO oils will mix with normal mineral oils which means Joe public can add synthetic to his mineral, or mineral to his synthetic without his car engine seizing up (although I've heard Mobil 1 is actually made by reformulating ethanol)."

"Pure synthetic oils (polyalkyleneglycol) are the types used almost exclusively within the industrial sector in polyglycol gearbox oils for heavily loaded gearboxes. These are typically concocted by intelligent blokes in white lab coats. These chaps break apart the molecules that make up a variety of substances, like vegetable and animal oils, and then recombine the individual atoms that make up those molecules to build new, synthetic molecules. This process allows the chemists to actually "fine tune" the molecules as they build them. Clever stuff. But Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils."

"There is no scientific data to support the idea that mixing mineral and synthetic oils will damage your engine. When switching from a mineral oil to a synthetic, or vice versa, you will potentially leave a small amount of residual oil in the engine. That's perfectly okay because synthetic oil and mineral-based motor oil are, for the most part, compatible with each other. (The exception is pure synetics. Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils.)"

I personally would go with a full synthetic in any turbo, or high performance engine. It can take more stress from heat than conventional oils, and this is really something you want. Also, don't get cheap-o filters like FRAM. Either go with OEM, ac delco, or synlube (http://www.synlube.com/prod06.htm).
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Not to mention less wear on internal moving parts, cooler oil temps, better fuel mileage and more HP.

Originally Posted by 98GSXtreme07
Yea, I never understood why you can go to Walmart and get Mobil 1 Synthetic for $26 and a filter for $4 ($30 oil change) and than also for some regular GTX oil and filter it costs you like $26 something yet at shops when you go its $32.XX for a regular oil change and than $70+ for a synthetic.

Something has to pay for the lights, telephone, rent, Insurance, salaries Etc... $32.00 is downright cheap... 70 for a Synthetic.... Depends on the Synthetic I guess.. I sure wouldn't pay that for Mobil 1 or Castrol.

Originally Posted by IdriveRA
once you get syn. you gotta stay with syn...thats gets expensive
That is pure Myth....

It's not so expensive if you change it yourself, I get Amsoil from a guy at work at his cost, so It's about the same cost as dino oil.

You can mix dino and syn if the spec is the same (not the weight) the API spec, no problems.

*edit--I'm not going to trying to start a syn vs dino oil war so I'll end that right now. I was just saying that if you spend a whack of cash on a shiny new car why not baby it.
Although most Synthetics will mix with Petroleum oils, it is unwise to do so except in an emergency. Just as you shouldn't mix Brands or weights even between Synthetics or Petroleum oils. the additive packs may not be totally compatible.

I agree with why not run a synthetic. It is in everything I have from my trucks and cars to my MotorCycle and even my Lawn Mowers and 2 cycle equipment. The benefits outweigh the price.

Originally Posted by madcows

"Despite their name, most synthetic derived motor oils (ie Mobil 1, Castrol Formula RS etc ) are actually derived from mineral oils - they are mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas. PAO oils will mix with normal mineral oils which means Joe public can add synthetic to his mineral, or mineral to his synthetic without his car engine seizing up (although I've heard Mobil 1 is actually made by reformulating ethanol)."

Actually, only Mobil 1 Extended Performance is PAO Based from what is listed.. The other Mobil 1's, Castrol SynTec (except German), Valvoline, are Hydro-Cracked oils. PAO's with Esters are considered to be the best overall performers, right now, in automotive applications. Of course Motul 300V is an Ester based product which can have some problems of it's own including being high priced vs: overall performance

Most people in the business , will draw the line between Synthetic and Petroleum at Hydro-Cracks (Group III Base Stocks), where PAO's and Esters are Group IV

As far as mixing oils, yes, it is OK in an emergency but is not recommended as a practice.

"Pure synthetic oils (polyalkyleneglycol) are the types used almost exclusively within the industrial sector in polyglycol gearbox oils for heavily loaded gearboxes. These are typically concocted by intelligent blokes in white lab coats. These chaps break apart the molecules that make up a variety of substances, like vegetable and animal oils, and then recombine the individual atoms that make up those molecules to build new, synthetic molecules. This process allows the chemists to actually "fine tune" the molecules as they build them. Clever stuff. But Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils."

"There is no scientific data to support the idea that mixing mineral and synthetic oils will damage your engine. When switching from a mineral oil to a synthetic, or vice versa, you will potentially leave a small amount of residual oil in the engine. That's perfectly okay because synthetic oil and mineral-based motor oil are, for the most part, compatible with each other. (The exception is pure synetics. Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils.)"

I personally would go with a full synthetic in any turbo, or high performance engine. It can take more stress from heat than conventional oils, and this is really something you want. Also, don't get cheap-o filters like FRAM. Either go with OEM, ac delco, or synlube (http://www.synlube.com/prod06.htm).
The Polyglycol oils will not mix with other synthetics either. Even small traces of Polyglycol and other oils can be disasterous virtually forming rubber like *****.

It should be noted that Polyglycols are used mainly in European Industrial Gearboxes and Chaincases.

Some people switch to conventional or Synthetic over the Polyglycol but an Isopropyl was is necessary before changing.

Doc
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Heliart
so my Ralliart is at 4500 miles and I'm taking it to the dealership for its first oil change, just curious though does the Ralliart use synthetic oil? not that I dont trust the dealer that they know what they're doing but I want to mention it just in case if the Ralliart really only takes synthetic oil....thanks
its just good practice to use synthetic, better MPG, les heat in the engine, the engine likes synthetic better.

and your peace of mind knowing you ave synthetic in there, i would demand the dealer nothing less than synthetic, most likely they have a deal with castrol and they use that. however u want AMSOIL in that 4B11 of yours

Quick Reply: 09 Ralliart Oil Change