Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Should I go STI?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jazket
Yeah, but see how even Lamborghini is coming up with AWD Gallardos, all for a reason;

Because most owners of this type of car are rich and not skilled. AWD is more forgiving for the NOVICE driver as it can help save you from stupidity. There is not a website devoted to EXOTIC CRASHES for no reason. They get wrecked regularly. Too much power, too little skills and experience is not a good combo esp. with 600+ HP on tap.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by dboz
Last I checked you don't buy a performance car for practicality. Any true sports car is a two seater. While a 2+2 may still be a performer, I will buy in when the top Porsche, Lambo Ferrari and Veyron add a rear seat. What does RWD have anything to do with it? Are you implying that the GT-R is going to be a winter car? Or that the Vette is no good in rain or what? By the way the ZR1 is .3 seconds faster than the GT-R on the 'ring, and that is with the NISSAN supplying the driver and a redo in April of this year, it used to beat it by 3 seconds. I wonder how "stock" that April GT-R was?

Oh, by the way, when the Corvette set its time there was a very strong headwind on the straight, so it is possible the Vette is faster than the time posted under better conditions. Same can be said of any track on any day, but it was a known issue with the time posted.

"The instant legend. Keep in mind, there was reportedly a strong headwind on the main straight, which could have actually slowed things down a bit. Could the ZR1 possibly set an even faster time in the future?"
I believe the 911 Turbo has a small backseat as well and that's one of Porsche's top performers.
I'm not diasgreeing that the ZR1 is an amazing car but it's already more expensive than the GTR and arguably less practical. If I had 120000$ lying around, it'd be ZR1 all day but for the price of a GTR, it's hard to match the performance.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

You my friend really like to argue on nonsense... that why not 150 or 200k? I don't know... hum, think about it. Don't reply to comments when you don't have a solid response; "Why 120k, not 150 or 200k?" ....... I don't know you tell me

I think you need to go to a dealer and get informed

Also, leave politics out of this; I posted what I posted about the economy not for you to reply on it; And I really doubt you want to argue with me on the subject

150-200k is just as arbitrary as the dealer you mention asking 120k. That was my point. It is just a made up number.

You sound like the proverbial hippocrit. You can mention politics but not me? If you don't want a comment to your post, please state "no comment necessary", by the way, are you now the freedom of speech police? I will argue anything politics with you all day any day, just not in this poor guys thread.

Back on topic. I would get an EVO over the STI just on looks. I hate hatches. If you like them, go for it.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I believe the 911 Turbo has a small backseat as well and that's one of Porsche's top performers.
I'm not diasgreeing that the ZR1 is an amazing car but it's already more expensive than the GTR and arguably less practical. If I had 120000$ lying around, it'd be ZR1 all day but for the price of a GTR, it's hard to match the performance.
You are probably right on the Porsche, but it is surely not able to seat any adult. I agree, once you figure in price, the GT-R is tough to beat.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

And it's RWD and is a true two-seater. It's a great car with true supercar performance but I think the GTR is more practical.
Certainly way more practical, I've seen the few of them that are around here driving in all sorts of weather, including the snow. I would've bought a regular C6 back when I got the Porsche if it weren't for the practicallity. Found a red 07 (this was in Summer of '08) with only 4k miles on it for less than 40k.

Good luck finding the idiot in this economy to pay 20k over sticker for a car that is surely not flying off the lots right now. People with 100k to spend on a car are not uninformed, and chances are they are probably well networked. I disagree totally.
People are paying a 10-30k markup on used Audi R8s with over 5k miles on them in certain areas. It is all based on what they can ask for in the area. Buy a Porsche here during the winter when they are easily worth 1-10k less, and they are always cheaper here than in say... CA. It's a supply and demand thing, any idiot could figure that out, including the idiot that wants the low supply high demand ZR1.

It does, as do all other 911 models save the GT3 RS (and maybe the GT2, I haven't seen one of them in person).

150-200k is just as arbitrary as the dealer you mention asking 120k. That was my point. It is just a made up number.

Back on topic. I would get an EVO over the STI just on looks. I hate hatches. If you like them, go for it.
I already clarified that it isn't arbitrary at all above. But I agree on mainly getting either or based on looks. I love fast hatches, awd, and turbos, hence the current car.

You are probably right on the Porsche, but it is surely not able to seat any adult.
It certainly can seat an adult. 2 actually. If they aren't over 5'5" they can sit perfectly comfortable, especially in the 997 models (which have better seat back designs for the driver and passenger seat to allow knee room, much like the BMW coupes and Mini's have). If they are over 5'5" ish then they have to curve their head or slouch in the seat a little, but trust me, I've driven plenty of friends around in the old car and for less than a 30 min drive it is perfectly fine. Who would take a road trip in a Porsche with more than 2 people anyway though? Still definitely not practical (though without people in the back seat, it can hold plenty for a road trip for two). I haven't been in a GTR, but from looking at them in person I doubt they have all that much more room than the 911s.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

You sound like the proverbial hippocrit. You can mention politics but not me? If you don't want a comment to your post, please state "no comment necessary", by the way, are you now the freedom of speech police? I will argue anything politics with you all day any day, just not in this poor guys thread.

Yes, no, hum, like UT_Evo said, not as arbitrary; you know the reason of the markup price; last two cars I bought where Mitsubishis, they're not luxury, not a very recognized brand, neither sought after cars and they dealer still had about $7,000 dollars of markup price; it's all because they think they can nail an idiot or two; Heck I have a friend who's a sales rep at Mitsu, and he said it himself: "Bro I won't sell you an Evo X cause I only have 2 left, and I can make about $5,000 more on them, cause people will pay that for them... while if I sell it to you I'd be loosing money"

Nissan says the GT-R's base price is $80,790; A dealer is always looking into making $10,000 to $15,000 extra for a car like this; And yes, people (idiots like you said) will pay for them; You, me and most people here don't have that mentality because $10,000 extra sounds like 3-4 months of hard work

Btw, yeah I forgot to mention the "no comment necessary" for the political junk in my post, it's my bad
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

yes, no, hum, like ut_evo said, not as arbitrary; you know the reason of the markup price; last two cars i bought where mitsubishis, they're not luxury, not a very recognized brand, neither sought after cars and they dealer still had about $7,000 dollars of markup price; it's all because they think they can nail an idiot or two; heck i have a friend who's a sales rep at mitsu, and he said it himself: "bro i won't sell you an evo x cause i only have 2 left, and i can make about $5,000 more on them, cause people will pay that for them... While if i sell it to you i'd be loosing money"

nissan says the gt-r's base price is $80,790; a dealer is always looking into making $10,000 to $15,000 extra for a car like this; and yes, people (idiots like you said) will pay for them; you, me and most people here don't have that mentality because $10,000 extra sounds like 3-4 months of hard work

btw, yeah i forgot to mention the "no comment necessary" for the political junk in my post, it's my bad

+1
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

You are probably right on the Porsche, but it is surely not able to seat any adult. I agree, once you figure in price, the GT-R is tough to beat.
True, adults would be very uncomfortable in the back but kids are A-OK. A friend has a modified 997 Turbo (something like 500 WHP on tap) and a big selling point for him was the daily practicality of the car. It's comfortable, quiet (when he's not standing on it otherwise it sounds like hell is coming for you), AWD and he can potentially carry the kids to school in the car.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know if I would call people idiots for paying oversticker price for a car like the GTR or the ZR1. How many GTRs are Nissan going to produce in the future? What about Chevrolet with the ZR1? They could very easily turn into collector cars and then who's laughing, the guy who paid 20000$ over sticker but sold the car for double its worth or the guy who called him an idiot?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know if I would call people idiots for paying oversticker price for a car like the GTR or the ZR1. How many GTRs are Nissan going to produce in the future? What about Chevrolet with the ZR1? They could very easily turn into collector cars and then who's laughing, the guy who paid 20000$ over sticker but sold the car for double its worth or the guy who called him an idiot?
You assume that we will be allowed to continue to drive gasoline powered cars in the future!!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

You assume that we will be allowed to continue to drive gasoline powered cars in the future!!
I'm trading in my Ralliart for a Mitsubishi i MiEV

I'm being sarcastic of course
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

I'm trading in my Ralliart for a Mitsubishi i MiEV

I'm being sarcastic of course
Hey! Don't they also make a 3-cyl turbo AWD version of that turd?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

If I had 120000$ lying around, it'd be ZR1 all day but for the price of a GTR, it's hard to match the performance.
For that much I'd just buy the GT-R and get the Hennessey GTR800 package!

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...ctionReq=Where

Power: 813 hp @ 6,500 rpm
704 lb-ft Torque @ 4,100 rpm

Performance: 0-60 mph: 2.6 sec. (stock = 3.4)
0-100 mph: 6.2 sec. (stock = 8.3)
0-150 mph: 13.5 sec. (stock = 19.5 sec.) 1/4 mile: 10.5 sec. @ 136 mph (stock = 11.8 sec. @ 118 mph)

Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madcows
Hey! Don't they also make a 3-cyl turbo AWD version of that turd?
that's the Colt, which IMO is a nice looking car, I think if Mitsu brings it that's a direct competitor for Toyota's all times popular 2-door Yaris

Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:32 AM

Just go the mitsubishi dealers and ask their Evo X. I went to test drive the Ralliart yesterday. I'm not impressed on the price. So the manager offered me a brand new Evo X 08 model GSR Rally red for $25k+, they have the 10k promo off. And even offered me 0 APR for 48 months.... Crazy deal for a brand new evo x!