Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

throttle Lag

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle Lag

Hey,

Just breaking in our Ralliart .. love it so far..

but one thing.. when your in normal mode and you hit the Gas the RPM's jump but the car doesn't accelerate right away, but when it does it kicks pretty hard

i noticed when i tried to make a lane change and pass someone.. once i changed lanes and tried to go.. it wouldn't go for a good moment.. there was big lag...

i tired it in paddle shift mode and it was a lot better.. is the normal mode that unresponsive ?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

the lag, its very clutch friendly.
its there to protect it.

if I am understanind your problem correctly.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

This is the reason why I have said the RA seems to buck.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you leave the transmission in "sport", it'll be more responsive, however, turbo lag is still there, the thing doesn't start to fully spool till 2500rev's.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 06:07 AM
C H
Evolving Member

Thats why its important to keep it in the proper gear if your going to be racing around.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 06:11 AM

it;s not even racing around..it's just regular lane changing and accelerating

if i wanted to race around i;d change it to sport and use the paddles..
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:37 AM
xi
Evolved Member

You can override the computer in auto mode if you want to lane change. It keeps it at low rev's by default and the highest gear to save gas.
I've learned that if I wanted to do a quick lane change, as I'm checking behind me to make the change, I quickly tap the left shifter to downshift once, then floor it once I'm looking ahead to change lanes, and hold the right shifter afterwards to put it back into auto.
This lets me rev down, build RPM's, spool up the turbo and by the time I'm actually changing lanes, it'll be in the torque band.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
That lag you're experiencing isn't entirely turbo lag. Similar to the Evo MR, the RA is equipped with a drive by wire throttle. Which, in theory, is awesome. However, its more of a pain in the rear, in my book.

While I don't have too much of an issue with this, if it really bugs you - you can use a Blitz Throttle Controller to fix the problem. It just alters the signal from the throttle pedal thus giving you a more responsive throttle - and none of that drive by wire lag.

New gadget: Blitz Throttle Controller

Also, if you're interested...a big long discussion on driving habits and the MR's ability to pull into traffic.
MR Pull out into traffic question in Normal Auto mode.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:12 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Now that you mention it, I have this weird problem when pulling out of my driveway in reverse. When I'm about to make the right onto the street, I usually stop to check for traffic then make the turn. I usually can't just feather it to get it to move immediately, it's almost as if I have to floor it every time...
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem...johentie, I have the same exact problem. It almosts feels like you are in neutral for like a second and then it kicks hard into gear. From reading around, I guess it is normal for our transmissions to do that. Sometimes when I am in traffic the trans seems to do some funny stuff as well like kick into gears, do you experiance that as well?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by rams3234
Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem...johentie, I have the same exact problem. It almosts feels like you are in neutral for like a second and then it kicks hard into gear. From reading around, I guess it is normal for our transmissions to do that. Sometimes when I am in traffic the trans seems to do some funny stuff as well like kick into gears, do you experiance that as well?
do you mean jerk when you say kick into gear? if so then yah.. but mostly in 1st gear going around 10-20 km/h.. but my manual tranny does that some times too..

my Si has DBW as well .. the RPM doesn;t drop right away when changing gears.. i guess i;m just used to it now..

also driving it for a week now i am used to to the lag.. like someone mentioned up above i tap the left shifter when changing lanes ; >
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, if you're going to do some quick acceleration, drop a gear with your paddles and fly out of your mess by pressing on the gas... do it slowly but surely, be gentle, don't just hammer it, the car will still take half a second to "think about it" hehe;

and like other people said, in Sport-Auto the car will mostly take you out of bad situations, that rev-matching thing is badass
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by jazket
yeah, if you're going to do some quick acceleration, drop a gear with your paddles and fly out of your mess by pressing on the gas... do it slowly but surely, be gentle, don't just hammer it, the car will still take half a second to "think about it" hehe;

and like other people said, in Sport-Auto the car will mostly take you out of bad situations, that rev-matching thing is badass
haha yah.. i noticed u cant hammer the gas ; >

i haven't tested the sport mode much just cause it's still at 350km in total distance traveled ; >
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xi
You can override the computer in auto mode if you want to lane change. It keeps it at low rev's by default and the highest gear to save gas.
I've learned that if I wanted to do a quick lane change, as I'm checking behind me to make the change, I quickly tap the left shifter to downshift once, then floor it once I'm looking ahead to change lanes, and hold the right shifter afterwards to put it back into auto.
This lets me rev down, build RPM's, spool up the turbo and by the time I'm actually changing lanes, it'll be in the torque band.

Wow, this works great. Nice technique!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 01:24 PM

Anyone have the problem with the wheel hop or a shaking in the car when take off? Would a tune solve alot of fuel and transmission issues? car has 54k on it?

Last edited by amn2be; Jun 6, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: throttle Lag