Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS Small battery Install Location

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
thanks for the clarification , i wasnt sure, though it makes sense that it is on its side without issue. i've only seen one in person and didnt have much time to actually check it out.

would still need to properly secure and kill switch . if only i felt better about drilling into my car...the front plate mount was bad enough
Why would you need a kill switch? If you do it like the Evo, which has the battery in the trunk as OEM, then you just need to disconnect it at the junction in the engine bay like any other car.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe to meet safety standards at the track you need a kill switch accessible outside the car. I'm not sure how that works though if it comes from the factory in the trunk. You do need a breaker in the back though, if you ever got into an accident you wouldn't want that thing shorting out throughout the interior of your car should you be stuck in there.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
looks great, but damn is that unsafe. i wouldnt bother trying to go racing and pass tech inspection any time soon
I need to fab up a bracket one of these days just haven't gotten around to it.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Why would you need a kill switch? If you do it like the Evo, which has the battery in the trunk as OEM, then you just need to disconnect it at the junction in the engine bay like any other car.
the kill switch wouldnt be for safety unless you were involved in a wreck or some such thing at the track. many groups, especially drag racing groups require an external kill on a trunk relocated battery

from nhra rules:

8.1 BATTERIES

All batteries must be securely mounted and may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is re-located in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch (.6 mm) or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum, or FIA accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery, and must be vented outside of body. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds (68 kg) combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements) is permitted. Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Hold-down bolts must be minimum 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) if battery is relocated from stock and other than stock hold-downs are used ("J" hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.).

8.4 MASTER CUTOFF

Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The external control switch for this cutoff switch will be clearly indicated by a red flash inside a white-edged blue triangle with a base of at least 12 cm (see drawing 25). The positions must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, push must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, pull to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear engine dragsters.

scca is supposedly similar, as are other groups out there
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

^^Interesting I didn't realize a battery box was required. Good thing the saftey guys at the track around here don't generally look for things like this