Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

OEM projector drl flicker HELP - Merged

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM projector drl flicker HELP - Merged

Long and drawn out:

So i have a pair of oem evo x projectors(the whole 2 units) and i attached the two plugs in the back of the headlights and turned on the lights(climbed into the car and turned the knob to the correct position). They looked great, but when i released the parking brake(started back over with the headlight knob in the off position), i could see that the drl came on(normal) and the projectors started to flicker(not normal). I've searched the forum like a hawk looking for a solution, and it seems nobody has a damn clue what is going on or they are to damn cheap to have projectors and just stick bulbs/ballasts in. So does anybody know of some kind of solution to fixing this at all. All i want to do is just be able to drive the damn car without my headlights flickering. And no i dont want to have to turn my headlights on every single time, because that defeats the purpose of even having a stalk with a turning knob then. And no im not a electrician and im not very fond of splicing wires all over the place to shut things off because that scares the hell outta me. I looked at jrox's harness and it doesnt work for this from what he says.

Short and to the point:

Need a way to stop the projectors from flickering when the parking brake is released and the drl come on. Anybody have a fix. Maybe a harness of some kind.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry about resurrecting this thread .... But did you ever figure out what was wrong & how to fix it? I recently installed OEM EVO X Projectors on my car too. I found a member on the forums who is willing to help out, but he's just not finding time. So, if you might have found a quick fix, I can go with that for now until I get this fixed properly.

Originally Posted by AntiBlitz
Long and drawn out:

So i have a pair of oem evo x projectors(the whole 2 units) and i attached the two plugs in the back of the headlights and turned on the lights(climbed into the car and turned the knob to the correct position). They looked great, but when i released the parking brake(started back over with the headlight knob in the off position), i could see that the drl came on(normal) and the projectors started to flicker(not normal). I've searched the forum like a hawk looking for a solution, and it seems nobody has a damn clue what is going on or they are to damn cheap to have projectors and just stick bulbs/ballasts in. So does anybody know of some kind of solution to fixing this at all. All i want to do is just be able to drive the damn car without my headlights flickering. And no i dont want to have to turn my headlights on every single time, because that defeats the purpose of even having a stalk with a turning knob then. And no im not a electrician and im not very fond of splicing wires all over the place to shut things off because that scares the hell outta me. I looked at jrox's harness and it doesnt work for this from what he says.

Short and to the point:

Need a way to stop the projectors from flickering when the parking brake is released and the drl come on. Anybody have a fix. Maybe a harness of some kind.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by komilp13
Sorry about resurrecting this thread .... But did you ever figure out what was wrong & how to fix it? I recently installed OEM EVO X Projectors on my car too. I found a member on the forums who is willing to help out, but he's just not finding time. So, if you might have found a quick fix, I can go with that for now until I get this fixed properly.
Unfortunately, a DRL Bypass is not compatible with the OEM HID Ballast sockets. However, an aftermarket HID Plug & Play Kit along with D2S adapters (included with some kits) can be used in place of the Stock HID's. I personally run this setup as TSX Projectors also use D2S bulbs.

Last edited by jRox; Jun 4, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

man, i'd love to get this working the proper way with oem projectors.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

what i did was just run the ballast on a switch and i didnt connect the DRL wire at all, i have bulbs in the DRL slot but they are not hooked up.

this also allows me to have my fogs on without my headlights on not that this is a needed function
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

see i have no idea what the hell jrox had just said there. lol, to many words i didnt even know what they were. I have an idea of how to make this work, so that you will be able to use the stalk switch and you will not have to have them on all the time.

So as of now my fix is to leave them on all the time....kinda bleh. But i hope to be able to shut them off coming here soon. Prolly will just try this week.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Evo X Projector headlights on RA

So, I was able to swap out the factory non projector headlights with a projector set. Everything was pretty much plug-n-play except now I have flickering issues. If I turn on the car and turn off the headlights, the lights flicker. So, I have to leave the headlights on all the time.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

search, this has been covered many times
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
search, this has been covered many times
Sure, the topic for HID flickering is covered, but not for OEM projectors. the only post i found was this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...cker-help.html
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Does this only happen with certain HID's (i.e. OEM Evo X), cuz I've never had this problem with mine??
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Does this only happen with certain HID's (i.e. OEM Evo X), cuz I've never had this problem with mine??
Really?? Well, I took the projectors from a 09 Evo X and put it into my 09 RA. I read in a thread, either on this forum or some other forum, that with a 2010 RA, there are no issues.

So, did u also replaced your headlights with the Evo X projectors? Did u do anything else other than just swapping them out?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

No I have the OEM HID's that came with the car (fully loaded package). That's why I was curious if this is only when swapping in the Evo X HID's...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

There could be voltage issues. I tried to stick pnp hids in my base model gsr and they did not work. They would only turn on if I had them on. Before I started the car. It also blew out a corner bulb.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMCT9MR
There could be voltage issues. I tried to stick pnp hids in my base model gsr and they did not work. They would only turn on if I had them on. Before I started the car. It also blew out a corner bulb.
I am sure that there is a voltage issue. I think the OEM non-HIDs use lower wattage than the projectors. I think it should be reprogrammable. The only issue is finding someone that can do that.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AntiBlitz
see i have no idea what the hell jrox had just said there. lol, to many words i didnt even know what they were. I have an idea of how to make this work, so that you will be able to use the stalk switch and you will not have to have them on all the time.

So as of now my fix is to leave them on all the time....kinda bleh. But i hope to be able to shut them off coming here soon. Prolly will just try this week.
Were you able to get anywhere with this? Give me some good news man.

Quick Reply: OEM projector drl flicker HELP - Merged