Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tactrix flash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tactrix flash

Quick question. I was talking to my buddy whos a mechanic for a dealer and he says once you re-program the ecu it voids the warrenty.

Now, he says they have to email a 10 digit code when they service the vechicle. My question is if we re-program and then flash back to stock can they check that I did modifications and void my warranty?

He mentioned that they email data lists or history or programming data? how true is all of this and how can type find out or not if you had mods on it?

C
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats why you would make a copy of the original rom before you tune it. Then if you need to bring it into a dealer, flash the car with your original rom.

im not sure if they can check this or not tll you the truth.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Of course we would re-flash to the stock rom. I am just wondering is there is like some hardcore thats gets changed permanently every time the ecu is flashed. The cobb says its undetectable...how true is that? what about Tactrix though?

Hopefully soon, some guys with experience can say something here.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

There is a purported, but yet to be found, flash counter embedded in the ECU.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

My buddy said even though if there was a counter and noticed it was flashed, he said they would just suspect something...but couldn't prove anything.

Is it worth the risk?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Okay... So this is how it works.... There isn't a counter... you can flash all day long however they have the scanner/MUTIII/Mitsu ECM program to determine the last flash DATE.

Meaning, the Dealer never has to relash your car and if they did it would be in the service records like for the first 08-09 Evo/Ralliart (If the RA for the TSB for it). Reason how I know this is cause I know a few people at HQ and at the Dealers. The guys from HQ come to inspect the car and the first thing they look for is MODS and a Reflashed computer.

I was told if I were to ever flash the ECU..... Buy another one and keep my stock one at home as a virgin Just a little inside scoop yet very pricey. But personally... Warranty? What's that? lol.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crak
Of course we would re-flash to the stock rom. I am just wondering is there is like some hardcore thats gets changed permanently every time the ecu is flashed. The cobb says its undetectable...how true is that? what about Tactrix though?

Hopefully soon, some guys with experience can say something here.
Just had my ECU read by Mitsubishi for warranty work. I was standing by the tech in the garage when he made the call to HQ. What they look at when calling in for warranty work are the CVN (Calibration Verification Number) and Cal ID.

The CVN is based on multiple variables (from what I've read), to include you year, make, model, and ECU parameters (boost, fuel, timing, etc.). If you flash back to a stock ROM, which in my instance I used one Razorlab has hosted on his site, your warranty will not be voided. Cal ID doesn't change from what I noticed no matter how many times you flash, at least it didn't in my case.

When the Mitsubishi tech called into HQ for the approval of warranty work, these sets of numbers were important. HQ asked for the CVN and Cal ID, verified these numbers on some chart, and said my ECU did not appear to be tampered with, even though I've reflashed multiple times. At no point and time did talk of a flash counter come into play.

Of course, this doesn't mean they don't look at other data from the ECU, but in my case the Cal ID and CVN was what determined approval or denial of my warranty work.

This has also been discussed on EvoM before:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ree-chime.html
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

good to know! flash away mates!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Linky...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-counter.html

Rich
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
I recall reading that. No doubt something like that may exist but in my situation, it wasn't accounted for in my warranty claim.

Rough idea of conversation I witnessed:
Tech- Yes, I've collected the information you requested
HQ- Read me the Cal ID and CVN
Tech- *reads alphanumeric data to HQ from ECU log*
HQ- One minute, verifying info on magical Mitsubishi chart
Tech- *tells me about magical Mitsubishi chart*
HQ- ok, I've verified the information and warranty work is approved

Seems like as long you flash back to stock ROM your CVN will return to stock as well, discrediting any assumption of a flashed ECU. This is, at least, until Mitsubishi becomes more stringent with their ECU logging process and examines what may be a flash counter, if ever.

Also, I did notice the CVN change based on what ROM I flashed