Notices

BC Coilovers and DC Sports Exhaust and....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
have you tried flipping your hfc 180* ? i know it sounds rediculous, but i sort of had the same issue when putting in my ams tp. i wasnt sure which direction to install it since i picked it up used, but with the flow in one direction it fit like it should; turned 180* flowing the other direction it would not line up properly. it was close enough to make it fit, but it was pulling the exhaust in all kinds of goofy directions somewhat similar to your situation. it may not have had as much of this effect on the stock exhaust but is now exaggerated with the aftermarket catback? just a thought
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Thanks for the idea, but due to the hanger position on the HFC it wont work. The hanger is not dead center which would allow it to be flipped on its head.
The HFC is from cp-e, and here you can see the hanger I'm talking about (plus the extra bung is before the cat not after )
http://www.cp-e.com/content/ralliart...%E2%84%A2-pipe
Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

I know you got DC Sports involved with your exhaust dilema, what was the outcome?

Did they resolve your problems? Please share your experience, many of us have this exhaust and it would be nice to know how they are on customer service if there are problems. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 08:50 AM

I had issues with the same thing on my evo x. I got the single canister system and it rubbed lke crazy, I sent pics to dc and they didnt do anything all they said was the their test car didnt have this issue. I ended up having to go to a shop and have the their brand new system cut and re welded so it didnt ruin my driveshaft. Good luck with your issue if you search on the forums theres a few people that have had fitment issues with the dc sports systems.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by RideSober
There is an additional hanger bracket provided from the factory on the passenger side of the RA that is not used with the stock exhaust. However it is used to mount the DC Sports exhaust. My point is that if the DC sports exhaust was mistakenly mounted using the same hanger as used with the stock exhaust (which would be easy to do), it will not fit properly.

Look at the clearance on my car between the drive shaft and resonator seen in this picture, there is very adequate clearance, and you should have the same.

If you did not notice the DC Sports exhasut was deisgned to be mounted to a different hanger than the stock exhaust, that might explain the problem.

Hope this helps and wish you the best of luck. Those coilovers are sweet, please let us know how the car handles now.

By the way, and I very pleased with my DC Sports exhaust. The car is clearly more responsive down low, and just to be sure I was not feeling a "placebo effect", after my install I reviewed the Super Street dyno chart from their RA build to see of there was an explanation in the torque curve. The explanation for the increased responsiveness is very apparent since the torque curve was changed following the exhaust install so that the torque comes in about 500 RPMs earlier.
I am shocked at the amount of space you have between your resonator and drive shaft. I followed the directions from DC to the "T". Even moved the middle hanger to the new position stated. I can't even fit a finger between the resonator and drive shaft.

Last edited by SnipeRA; Mar 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Aha! So I'm not the only only one who's had issues with their exhaust rubbing on the drives haft!
They finally called me on Tuesday to say they have moved to into their new facility and their phones are hooked up, but the lift isnt operational yet. They were supposed to call me back to coordinate meeting at one of their "affiliate" exhaust shops. The guy was nice and said he would bring down a new system to see something needs to be replaced. I'm going to call them on Monday to see why they never called me back....?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

I am shocked at the amount of space you have between your resonator and drive shaft. I followed the directions from DC to the "T". Even moved the middle hanger to the new position stated. I can't even fit a finger between the resonator and drive shaft.
Ummm that doesn't sound good, have you looked to see if yours is grinding as well?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

There is approximately a half-inch of space between the resonator and the drive shaft on my RA. I installed it a week ago, so I was checking all of the connections one final time today, and there is no indication of any rubbing (i.e., scoring).
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Ummm that doesn't sound good, have you looked to see if yours is grinding as well?
Yeah its deffinately grinding. I can here it while i am driving. The thing is if my foot is on the gas it doesn't rub but as soon as i let off the gas (i am assuming) the mid pipe vibrates enough that it bounces into the drive shaft.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by crpearce
There is approximately a half-inch of space between the resonator and the drive shaft on my RA. I installed it a week ago, so I was checking all of the connections one final time today, and there is no indication of any rubbing (i.e., scoring).
When you turn your car on and look at the exhaust at idle does it seem to bounce around a lot? Or is it fairly steady?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 02:33 PM

I had the same issue as yours and it ended up being fixed by just playing around with how you tighten the bolts from at the catalyctic converter.
I have also used zip ties to tighten the hangers so there is no movement at all. I have about 3/4 inch clearance between the drive shaft and the resonator now and no rubbing or grinding at all.

goodluck and keep us posted on how things goes.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SnipeRA
When you turn your car on and look at the exhaust at idle does it seem to bounce around a lot? Or is it fairly steady?
Mine bounces around quite a bit until the car warms up. Once it is warm, everything becomes steady.

At this point, I have not yet been able to tell whether or not the resonator is grinding against the drive shaft while moving. I was under the car on Saturday, and there were no visible score marks on the drive shaft or the exhaust. I am worried about it, though.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:29 AM

You would know if it was hittin. It makes an obvious mark on the drive shaft. I would say if it isn't doing it now then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

You wouldn't necessarily be able to see the score marks on the exhaust (I couldn't until it was removed). However, you will DEFINITELY see them on the drive shaft, as the black outer layer gets scrapped away leaving a silver "ring".
Old Mar 7, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

I took a closer look today, and I was actually incorrect about the movement. The exhaust actually moves up and down around the cat/mid-pipe connection. I also noticed that I have an exhaust leak there. I have a stripped bolt on the passenger side, and it isn't as tight as it needs to be (i.e., the exhaust sounds like crap right now).

Any idea where to get the 17mm replacement bolts? Would I need to get them from Mitsubishi, or can I get them from Lowe's or Home Depot?