Notices

The difference between Mr And RA tranny

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difference between Mr And RA tranny

What are the specific major differences in the tranny if there are any at all? they are both the sst tranny, so does that mean that for a MR you cannot fit a larger turbo at all while the RA can only go as large as the MR already has? I only ask this because i thought they had the same transmission and if thats true then the same limitations. Im prepared to be flamed by this question!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

pretty sure the difference is in the clutch packs. they are beefed up in the MR cuz it has that larger turbo from factory. guys have put bigger turbos on MR cars already but i think they limit the torque to 350 ft lbs electronically. guys have put the stock evo turbos on the ralliarts without too much problems. The guys at AMS tried putting an FP red on a ralliart, but fried the tranny.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

ya i wanted to just keep building slowly and i dont want to put a smaller turbo if i could just save up a lil more and get a bigger one for my RA, but it looks like im kind of limited with the tranny and i dont want to harm it, its kind of expensive! lol
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

i'd say if you really want to make enough power that bolt on's can't provide, do the swap to the EVO turbo. i'm picking one up used with 30xxx kms on it for like $450 CDN. once you've swapped over all the OEM parts to support the evo turbo, down the road, if you want to go up to FP red, then it'll be super easy. This way you can get more power for now, until they make bigger clutch packs for our tranny. i dont know if the clutchpack kits for the evo MR fit our cars or not.

But this is the approach that i'm taking. maybe you wanna just go for the gusto now and not have to do two turbo swaps. but if you put a FP red on your car, i don't think it'll last long. hahah
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Works sells the SSP clutch packs which significantly upgrade the SST tranny. The only problem is they are like $3000 just for parts.

From what I have read on this forum, 300-350 ft-lbs of torque is the limit of the SST, any more torque and the discs start slipping.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

It's all in your tuning. I believe you can run 400whp as long as you keep it around 320ftlbs of torque and lower. When the bright tuners we have on the forums breaks the ecu logic on all the safeguards, then we can go higher and look into upgraded clutch packs.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

i have in the past , done some ( limited ) research on the getrag transmissions.

i could not find proof anywhere .........

.....that they produce two different transmissions for mitsubishi.

from what i had found the getrag transmission fro the MR an RA.......

.....have the same model number.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

MR and RA Tranny *should/could* be the same... the only difference lies in the TCU IIRC
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I've read somewhere before that the 5th and 6th gears on the RA trans is slightly larger, which is made for better highway economy. Other than that, I believe the only other difference is that the MR has S-Sport mode.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by toredefine
i've read somewhere before that the 5th and 6th gears on the ra trans is slightly larger, which is made for better highway economy. Other than that, i believe the only other difference is that the mr has s-sport mode.
+1
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AntiBlitz
ya i wanted to just keep building slowly and i dont want to put a smaller turbo if i could just save up a lil more and get a bigger one for my RA, but it looks like im kind of limited with the tranny and i dont want to harm it, its kind of expensive! lol
to put it into perspective, i've hit torque limit, even with modified tables, with the stock turbo and pretty much full bolt-on with a monster tune... hp is still much to be desired, though for autox torque is key so im all good
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:59 PM

Have you guys checked out the Cobb AP maps for EvoX? In its documentation the 1.04v revision of the maps feature a torque monitor defeat. Does it mean that Cobb has a solution for the torque limit on SST, on the MR at least?

Last edited by dukeds; Jun 24, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dukeds
Have you guys checked out the Cobb AP maps for EvoX? In its documentation the 1.04v revision of the maps features a torque monitor defeat. Does it mean that Cobb has a solution for the torque limit on SST, on the MR at least?
That is done through the ECU. The torque limit can be messed with in this way, however, it doesn't do anything to the transmission.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

i mean if other then a few beefier parts within the tranny, technically we have the same capability to have a mr. We just started a little bit cheaper i guess and built our way up lol!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by toredefine
I've read somewhere before that the 5th and 6th gears on the RA trans is slightly larger, which is made for better highway economy. Other than that, I believe the only other difference is that the MR has S-Sport mode.
If its the same would it be plug and play or would there be more things to do