Notices

The RIGHT WAY to Flush your SST Trans

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes if you want to flush out the cooler and lines. also make sure you have the filter case without filter put back when doing the mineral oil flushing.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new question!! I can't find Mineral Oil here!! can I use Mineral Oil light? is it the same thing?
Old May 31, 2014, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilpou
new question!! I can't find Mineral Oil here!! can I use Mineral Oil light? is it the same thing?
Have you tried a feed supply store? If not SSP sells it. You guys have tractor supply up there?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Have you tried a feed supply store? If not SSP sells it. You guys have tractor supply up there?

We do have tsc here, but what they have is call"mineral oil light" It is why I ask is it the same thing?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you'll be ok with the light. You just need to run it through the system for a short amount of time.

Here is a definition of the two types:

mineral oil

a colorless, oily, almost tasteless, water-insoluble liquid, usually of either a standard light density (light mineral oil) or a standard heavy density (heavy mineral oil) consisting of mixtures of hydrocarbons obtained from petroleum by distillation: used chiefly as a lubricant, in the manufacture of cosmetics, and in medicine as a laxative.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilpou
We do have tsc here, but what they have is call"mineral oil light" It is why I ask is it the same thing?
You'll be fine with that it's what I used
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:40 PM

is there any way to measure the sst oil?
how to know if you have enough? with out taking it out of course!

regards,

G.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:04 PM

thats the tricky part, i let mine drain for quite a while, make sure you losen both bottom bolts as they both drain alot of fluid. and drain the cooler theres plenty there as well.. dont bother measuring what comes out, because its not reflective of whats going back in(some oil may have burnt off) so...

basically find the amount thats supposed to go back in, theres several listed amounts, but it looks like its a little over 6L.. so, measure out 6L(approx) and dump it back in, i did seem to find a fill line bolt, but i was unable to reach it with any allen key i have, maybe i found the wrong one? (im sure somebody could say) but, if its the right one, it doesnt look very reachable(IMO) so youre basically just guessing..

luckily on the top of the unit, theres a rubber hose, and it appears to be an overfill line, or mist line for vaporized fluid, so if you pour way too much? it will empty out the top into the back of the engine bay, so a serious overfill should be apparent. the only solution ive seen is the SSP sump.. or the dodson sump, both are costly solutions..

also(this is just my OP here) if youre not into the mineral oil thing? id rec taking a bit maybe a little less than 2L of the SST fluid and just flushing the unit with it, by pouring it down the tranny while leaving the drain bolt open.. not as good a fix as a complete flush, but it still helps.. and since you have to buy 8L of fluif, its a good use of the extra fluid you will have..

Last edited by markspd6; Aug 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What brand of mineral oil should I buy? Any recommendations? thanks
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:06 AM

my big issue is that when i bought the car the tranny oil filter assy was broke, so i bought a new one and also the tranny oil cooler was stolen so i also bought a new one; now my issue is i dont know how much oil it was lost because what i listed above; so i would solve myneed to have a level meter or something to figure out; or the other way should be to take whats inside and then put about 8 liters in.
if i only know if there is a fill line bolt or something like that, it will easily solve my problem!

regards,

G.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GOOFYGAP
my big issue is that when i bought the car the tranny oil filter assy was broke, so i bought a new one and also the tranny oil cooler was stolen so i also bought a new one; now my issue is i dont know how much oil it was lost because what i listed above; so i would solve myneed to have a level meter or something to figure out; or the other way should be to take whats inside and then put about 8 liters in.
if i only know if there is a fill line bolt or something like that, it will easily solve my problem!

regards,

G.
I just did my ralliart and I was around 6.5L, i read alot about this before I did the oil change on this forum and others and it seemed 6.5L was what most people were getting out of it. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you drain whatever is left in the system from the DRAIN BOLTS ONLY, and fill with 6L of mineral oil, run the car for a bit (with the filter out, just install the empty cartridge), and then drain from the DRAIN BOLTS ONLY, adding 5.5L will put you at proper fill level as the other parts of the system will be filled with (acceptable) mineral oil. Then, before starting the car again, remove the empty filter cartridge and dump out whatever is in there, place the filter inside and then fill that with SSTF before installing back onto the transmission. If you really wanted to be picky you could also disconnect the cooler line from the cooler to let that drain and just catch all that comes out of there in a measurable container so that once it's drained you can reinstall the line and then add an amount of fresh SSTF, equal to what was drained from the cooler.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

At 20k miles I took my car to the dealer for fluid change. Right after the fluid change my sst started to switch gears very slowly. Today I decided to do the flush and change. I drained 9.5L of fluid. The dealer must have not drained the entire fluid before he added new one. After I did mineral flush I put about 6L in. Can someone tell me how much fluid should go in if I drained the whole thing including the cooler. Thank you.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by hotkupa
At 20k miles I took my car to the dealer for fluid change. Right after the fluid change my sst started to switch gears very slowly. Today I decided to do the flush and change. I drained 9.5L of fluid. The dealer must have not drained the entire fluid before he added new one. After I did mineral flush I put about 6L in. Can someone tell me how much fluid should go in if I drained the whole thing including the cooler. Thank you.
if you drained everything included the oil cooler/lines/filter,
owners manual states 8QT=7.57L this is straight from pdf of my owners manual Twin Clutch SST
8.0 qt (7.6 L)
{includes .53 qt
(0.5 L) in oil
cooler}
Mitsubishi Motors Genuine SSTF-I
now straight from the TC-SST service manual pdf because you can't drain from the actual transaxle assemby 'The transaxle assembly has a sealed structure, and the fluid does not drain out from parts other than the oil cooler hose." but from the drain bolts/oil cooler/lines/filter it states 5.8QT for drain bolts+0.6QT for oil cooler/lines+0.1QT for filter 6.5QT=6.2L i would go with around 7.5L yeah if you had 9.5L of fluid it probably should have been overflowing through the top of the tranny and the overfill

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Dec 2, 2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: edit
Old Oct 7, 2014, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nast_Nas
if you drained everything included the oil cooler/lines/filter,
owners manual states 8QT=7.57L this is straight from pdf of my owners manual Twin Clutch SST
8.0 qt (7.6 L)
{includes .53 qt
(0.5 L) in oil
cooler}
Mitsubishi Motors Genuine SSTF-I
now straight from the TC-SST service manual pdf because you can't drain from the actual transaxle assemby 'The transaxle assembly has a sealed structure, and the fluid does not drain out from parts other than the oil cooler hose." but from the drain bolts/oil cooler/lines/filter it states 5.8QT for drain bolts+0.6QT for oil cooler/lines+0.1QT for filter 6.5QT=6.2L i would go with around 7.5L yeah if you had 9.5L of fluid it probably should have been overflowing through the top of the tranny and the overfill
I currently have about 7L of oem fluid in and the car feels much smoother.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Dec 2, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: The RIGHT WAY to Flush your SST Trans