Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM is this correct?

I have my car modified with the AEM ems. Included for info is the 264 cams, gears, 750 cc injectors, no MAF, AEM UEGO wideband, intake, full exhaust, bov, etc.

My car has been tuned (Denver, CO). Great tune job with 327whp at 1.23% correction factor. I love the way it runs. Once the car is warm, it has a great idle. Now here is the question.

Upon starting the car, I follow the following steps.

1. I turn the key on before starting ignition. This is to monitor my wideband correctly working and acknowledge the fuel pump.

2. I then proceed to start the car and the start time varies from a short pause to a normal time frame of 2seconds maybe 3 (based on starting car since I had AEM).

3. Then car starts.

Once in a great great while, the car will start up rather quickly. I respect my tuner in every way and dont want to question, but of course, when you are used to a car that starts automatically with no hick ups every time, and now this.... you gotta ask.

He explained that this was a time period that was used for the cams to align with the sensors and then whamm... ignition. It makes sense for me.

Also, I would only assume this is overall wear and tear on my starter? If this is the sacrifice for such an awesome system. I wont complain, but if it is a trouble shooting problem, I'd love to have it fixed.

Thanks for any help. ....Lance
Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Nope that is normal for the AEM EMS. If you have a laptop you can bring up the Engine Start view inside the EMS and look at the parameters window for one called Stat Sync. This is the sync between the cam and crank sensor, as soon as the ems sees the sync the Stat Sync parameter goes from off to on and it fires the injectors and coils. This is just inherent with the AEM.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

This is the only issue i have with my AEM. My friends are like "man Aweosme car but it doesn't want to start".
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks! I know, I am the running joke of "Is your car gonna start today?"

Oh yeah, one more question to satisfy my aem desires. Is it normal for the fan to stay on for 10 to 15 seconds after turning off your engine? Once again, no big deal, but needed to ask.

Appreciate the info!
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancealott

Oh yeah, one more question to satisfy my aem desires. Is it normal for the fan to stay on for 10 to 15 seconds after turning off your engine? Once again, no big deal, but needed to ask.

Appreciate the info!
Yup, but I have never looked in the software to see if it can be changed.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Appreciate the info!
There is a thread on the AEM forum about that. I do not remember what you do to fix it though.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

some prams to help start........ Engine Start--- Advanced Engine Start---> Options Advanced Engine Start ---> Fuel Pump Prime, change to 5.0

Setup-->Sensors---> Cam and crank sensor--->Options--->Tooth Time/Min , change to 500 mS

and

Setup-->Sensors---> Cam and crank sensor---> Advanced Cam and Crank---> Options Sync Setup--- > Check 'sync early'

These settings will help you startup alot sooner.........
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for that extra info. I will forward that to my tuner.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

One thing you may want to consider is disconnecting the clutch start switch also. Look down by the pedal assembly, push the pedal down, you'll see the switch. Simply unplug it and you don't have to push the clutch in on starts. That way you're not putting any undue wear on your thrust bearing.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for that extra info. I will forward that to my tuner.
If he used the latest startup calibration for your car to make a map from then the Tooth Time Minimum should have been set to 500ms. Also, you can try the crank sync skip options or sync early options but I never noticed any difference in the startup. Just let it prime the pump, wait 2 to 3 seconds and then crank.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Appreciate the info!
I have 2 AEM EMS running right now in Evos.

1 Unit 1313 w/o Uego ( MJ Dez.2004 ) does run the Fans until it powers off itself after 4 seconds ( this time is programmable in the ECU setup for Main relay).

the second unit 1313U w/ Uego ( MJ Aug..2005 ) doesnt turn on the Fans after Engine off.

There was an change in design in between, so that matter only for older units.

For the Startup:
The current software has to wait that one Cam count occurs during cranking.
After that, it waits for the next Cam count to make "stat sync" on.
On an well tuned ( for coldstart) EMS it takes between 3 to 5 Revolutions to start, depending if the Cam sensor is staying in the middle of the teeth or between the teeth. My car takes around 2 sec. for normal startup and sometimes ( when Crank and Cam are in the best position possible ) 0.5 sec.
This is without the "sync early " option set.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by german_evoVII
I have 2 AEM EMS running right now in Evos.

1 Unit 1313 w/o Uego ( MJ Dez.2004 ) does run the Fans until it powers off itself after 4 seconds ( this time is programmable in the ECU setup for Main relay).

the second unit 1313U w/ Uego ( MJ Aug..2005 ) doesnt turn on the Fans after Engine off.

There was an change in design in between, so that matter only for older units.

For the Startup:
The current software has to wait that one Cam count occurs during cranking.
After that, it waits for the next Cam count to make "stat sync" on.
On an well tuned ( for coldstart) EMS it takes between 3 to 5 Revolutions to start, depending if the Cam sensor is staying in the middle of the teeth or between the teeth. My car takes around 2 sec. for normal startup and sometimes ( when Crank and Cam are in the best position possible ) 0.5 sec.
This is without the "sync early " option set.
Thanks for that additional info. My evo seems to match yours without the "sync early" option. Since that option is available, does it cause any risk by using it on the start. I only ask because I figure, if it is there, why wouldnt it just be part of the programming without having to choose the option?
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Do not use the sync early option on Mitsubishi!!!

Its used for Nissan and Hondas with "missing teeth " at the crank!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks! Car is being painted so I had not gone to my tuner yet.