Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Speed Density or MAS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speed Density or MAS

I am strongly leaning towards buying an AEM EMS because my mods are at the point where I think it will be better.

My question is what are the advantages of speed density over maf. I am going to use the stock intake, so if the maf restriction is the only advantage I will probably just use maf. How is the driveability witb speed density? Most everyone I have asked has said to use speed density, but I haven't gotten a reason why. Is speed density easier to tune? I plan on going to Dr. Gray for the tune, if that makes any difference.

My car is a daily driver, while I do want to make power, I also want to be able to go for a few hundred mile drive if I need to, and the car needs to be reliable. Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are not tuning it yourself, then I would do what your tuner suggests and what they are more comfortable at tuning.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

It depends how modified your car is. All mine needs is a large turbo kit. I went to MAP. The idle is better, driveabilty is way better and it doesn't buck at part thottle on the hwy. I drive my car every day it is not completely horrible out. id say it moves 325 days out of the year. It starts when its in the negatives in the morning every time. I had a little help with a starting point and I have hours of time tunning for every condition.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spaceball 1
It depends how modified your car is. All mine needs is a large turbo kit. I went to MAP. The idle is better, driveabilty is way better and it doesn't buck at part thottle on the hwy. I drive my car every day it is not completely horrible out. id say it moves 325 days out of the year. It starts when its in the negatives in the morning every time. I had a little help with a starting point and I have hours of time tunning for every condition.

Thanks. I will go with speed density. My cars idles like $hit, and I would love for it to idle better, especially with the a/c on.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

So I just need an AIT sensor (where can I get this cheap?), and a GM 3.5 bar MAP sensor correct? I already have a wideband o2.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

speed density wont help idle alone. I am running it and my idle sucks with ac on and driving with ac on stalls sometime (while rolling to a stop.)
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Luke WL.
speed density wont help idle alone. I am running it and my idle sucks with ac on and driving with ac on stalls sometime (while rolling to a stop.)
You need to set the idle params. When i first installed the ems, i had the same problems. Once you setup the idle correctly there are no more stalling problems. Even with hks 280's.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved4g63
You need to set the idle params. When i first installed the ems, i had the same problems. Once you setup the idle correctly there are no more stalling problems. Even with hks 280's.
That's good to hear, because I have Revolvers and a stage 3 head.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

That must be fun with the stock ecu.?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yeah, it's super fun. I can't wait to get an ems and a tune. I'm tired of having all this money in the car, and not being able to see what it can do.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:47 PM

I think I am going to go with speed density.. Im getting my ems next week should be really fun to get the power out of my gt35r ... cant waittttt
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

As for the idle, yes play around with your EMS more you will be able to improve that idle no matter what. I am looking at a standalone as my next mod. Like you said i want to see what my car can really do with these mods before moving on. Good luck and can't wait to see the results. Also can you provide a mod list i did not see any in your sig.

well guys we are on the last few days of our 10% off everything sale. please take a good look at what we offer. Coupon code is 10PCOFF.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

hey guys, about this speed density, im running the HKS Racing Suction Intake and come to find out, making it speed density will require me to have a custom fab. intake pipe in order to take out the stock MAF sensor and replace the MAP sensor....does anyone else have this same problem???
Old Jul 25, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apevo8
hey guys, about this speed density, im running the HKS Racing Suction Intake and come to find out, making it speed density will require me to have a custom fab. intake pipe in order to take out the stock MAF sensor and replace the MAP sensor....does anyone else have this same problem???
yeah, not a big deal, you can get a new one from Buschur or DeJon Tool under $100.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apevo8
Uh, did u notice you can just use the coupler that comes with the intake? What i mean is just put the coupler on the pipe and the filter. No more problem.

Quick Reply: Speed Density or MAS