Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM and Emissions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AEM and Emissions

Ok i know this is another De-de-deee post about trying to skate throught emissions with an aem. Now as almost everyone knows that the evos are new enought that for emissions, the guy looks for a cat, then plugs into obd II and more or less says have a nice day. I am soon to have an aem, and where i live emissions is tested yearly. I was just wondering if anyone knew what would happen with an aem in reguards to a plug into the obd II port?? like nothing, blow up the scanner, fry the aem, send the scanner a fuc off dumbass message? idk anyway? also does anyone know about there being a way around emissions all together other then listing the car as a specialized vehical?
any help would be appriceated
later
DJ
Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

The OBD-II scanner isnt going to read anything so you will most likely fail Move to Florida, haha
Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

actually dont move to florida, were about to adpots californias emission standards
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
actually dont move to florida, were about to adpots californias emission standards
No. Even if we were to it still wouldnt be for years and it would be focused more on commercial transportation. Yes. I remember the couple news articles. If you go back through them you will see commercial and diesel being focused on. So we're good to go for a while
Old Sep 5, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

What area in Ohio do you live in? Why not title the vehicle in a county that does not require emissions?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

wouldnt' that require the car being registered to someone who lives in another county???
later
DJ
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

i figrured it out, i just have to get collector plates. Not to hard to do.
awsome
Later
DJ
Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:33 PM

what are collector plates? Interested....
Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
usually collector plates are limited to cars that are over 20 years old or so..
Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsxwingz
what are collector plates? Interested....
In Ohio you can get plates for true collector cars.. or if you can prove that there is a high demand for collecting that car in your area or can prove a sizable investment.

and apparently you have to have a "primary means of transportation." So you have to have a beater or DD for you to be able to plate it that way..

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registration/collector_plates.htm

So I'm sure DJ will be able to... If not... i'm sure there is a setting... or patch for the AEM that someone has done that can send the right values to the ODBII for e-check...

And i am also curious.. is there something you can do in the stock ECU with a reflash that can do that??
Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
the AEM has a port for the OBD II, but its non functional....its an ongoing problem that i dont think anyone has solved.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

One option might actually be to dual wire the CPU's. Wire all the inputs to both the AEM and stock ECU, then use just the emission outputs on the stock ECU and the engine outputs just from the AEM.
The other thing you could do is put a serial packet sniffer on during the OBD II test, and basically replicate the signals showing no errors. It would take some work but is definitely doable.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm keeping the stock ECU, MAF, and MAP sensors plugs and stuff. Flash the ECU so that it works with the current set up. Switch it out when needed. Bam your done. Someone needs to make an (Test only OB2 computer) that will trick the tester into passing the car.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

I found the nice loophole with the collector plates. the deal here is your car either has to be on a special list of cars ( which the evos are not) or you have to be able to prove that you either have $3500 in repairs, or $6000 in modifications. also you need another car for a DD to get them. as far as i know there are no real other restriction. you just need to prove your investment.
Later
DJ
Old Sep 19, 2008, 04:33 PM

ok so i bought a evo8 and have about $8,000 in modifications with receipts to prove it. I am located in mentor,ohio. I wanna know if any one you guys ever have done this because i have standalone aem and turbo-back exhaust with no cat so i def will not pass e-check... any more information will help. thanks

Quick Reply: AEM and Emissions