Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Who has tried Series2?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know. Glad you are happy with it and when you come down next time we should have a bit more time to let it cool down and figure out cold starts.

-Em
Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
good thing i jumped at buying one early. box #39 here. hope they get it sorted out before i finish my car and install it.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Em how close is the car to the 8 sec ?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Bump on this. Anyone else get a series two? I've noticed something in the idle circuitry that won't properly control/park the idle motor the same everytime. Sometimes it will start and idle smooth. Other times it will start hard and idle high and mixed symptoms all combined. NEVER consistent.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:48 PM

same here bud, but all i do is turn the car off and on and it goes away...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

i have series 2 .. box #0001 actually ... it has his moments idle high(i just cut the car of and restart) cold start needs tweaking maybe but i dont have any reason to ditch it or anything
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoboi005
i have series 2 .. box #0001 actually ... it has his moments idle high(i just cut the car of and restart) cold start needs tweaking maybe but i dont have any reason to ditch it or anything
I should have my series 2 in about a week. I've experienced the idle stuck high on the Supra platform. I was hoping it was platform specific but with your comment I wonder if its firmware related.

You're in Jacksonville/Orange Park FL? Out of curiosity who tuned your car?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itzwolf
I should have my series 2 in about a week. I've experienced the idle stuck high on the Supra platform. I was hoping it was platform specific but with your comment I wonder if its firmware related.

You're in Jacksonville/Orange Park FL? Out of curiosity who tuned your car?
yea im on firmware 0.99 right now ill wait till the new one is out to play with anything ... my car was tuned by mase...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoboi005
yea im on firmware 0.99 right now ill wait till the new one is out to play with anything ... my car was tuned by mase...
AEM should have EMS S2 firmware 1v12 out to the general public in a week or two. As of a week ago AEM gave out to two users, mine being one of them. Fixes many of the bugs brought to AEM's attention, but not the idle motor position issue (yet). SEE Post #26.

Of those others who experienced the idle/start problem, are you running low or high impedance injectors? I've got FIC Bluemax 1450cc (low impedance).

Last edited by churchja; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:24 AM

hopefully is fixed i will have to check, im running stock injectors...
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tbtalon94
Bump on this. Anyone else get a series two? I've noticed something in the idle circuitry that won't properly control/park the idle motor the same everytime. Sometimes it will start and idle smooth. Other times it will start hard and idle high and mixed symptoms all combined. NEVER consistent.
I have the same issue with my EMS S2. Also, I can confirm that it is not Evo specific bug.

According my tuner, AEM is aware of the small bug in the software with the idle motor position memory if the engine stalls.

He recommended to me to avoid the bug if the car stalls, leave the key off for 5-6 seconds to allow the ECU to properly park, and know the correct position of the idle motor before restarting.

AEM says this is will be fixed in the next version of firmware.

Last edited by churchja; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by churchja
I have the same issue with my EMS S2. Also, I can confirm that it is not Evo specific bug.

According my tuner, AEM is aware of the small bug in the software with the idle motor position memory if the engine stalls.

He recommended to me to avoid the bug if the car stalls, leave the key off for 5-6 seconds to allow the ECU to properly park, and know the correct position of the idle motor before restarting.

AEM says this is will be fixed in the next version of firmware.
Funny I spoke with a couple tech's and had to send in my box 2 times and they claimed "this was the only box with that issue". I tried to tell them OVER and OVER that the idle motor is not being controlled properly and causing erratic idle issues because it ONLY parks when you kill the main relay, but ALWAYS re-positions when in the ON position to whatever your start idle is.

SO what is happening is your car is running and idling fine say at 15% idle position, then it dies and doesn't park itself then immediatly it sees your idle should be around 1,350 (with the start extra rpm) and bumps up the idle position to say 30% (but add 15% to that because of where it was at)....and now you've got a problem.

I've found that my car wil be idling perfectly and running awesome. I shut it off then when I go start it in the morning it fires right up and idles properly...but won't ever get down to 900rpms where my idle is set at and the idle position maxes out to 0%. If you shut the car off and let it park again and re-start then it idles down and position is around 10%.

I contribute this to a few things they removed from Series1 in the advanced idle section.

Idle Park at KEY ON
...and one other i can't remember.

They told me they didn't really do much because it parked when you turned the car off, when I tried to explain it happens if the car dies or randomly the idle motor will over-compensate and be open too much or too little. It needs ANOTHER parking operation.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great info guys! This idle issue sounds like the same problem Carz was having with mine. Lucas thought it was the IAC at first. Soon as he installed the S1 box, problem went away. He was nice enough to do a full refund on the S2 box because of this. What sucks he spent some serious time re-tuning for S2 so alot of time was wasted just trying to get S2 to work

I'll most likely be getting another one this coming winter and hopefully by then they have this bug fixed.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:31 AM

so is the new firmware out yet ? i have the same problem
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Not yet. My problem seams to be there consistently and won't go away even with power cycles...or it will go days of multiple starts with running perfect. Such a hastle and makes me want to run the box over everytime it happens

Quick Reply: Who has tried Series2?