Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Who has tried Series2?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itzwolf
Yes, I just started running it for testing purposes. Initial results are looking good. My car has fired up every time I try to start it and idle needed retuned from the V14 firmware. I noticed idle was a lot more stable and turning A/C on needed a lot less compensation. I tried several on off cycles without letting the ECU power down and the car fired back up every time. I am taking the car to work today to test more but so far I really like what I am seeing...
I've also had it for a few weeks and have had the same results. The idle issue is fixed, it no longer parks at random spots and has trouble.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbtalon94
I've also had it for a few weeks and have had the same results. The idle issue is fixed, it no longer parks at random spots and has trouble.
Does your car seem a little slow on initial kick over still though? It starts fine but seems like its a bit "lazy" for about 2 seconds then idles up. I mean it fires up each time but something still ever so slightly off which could just be mine needing a touch more fuel on startup.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Yeaup mostly in the morning though. When it's warm it fires right up. In the morning it fires right off and has a little hesitation but idles up through it. Decreasing fuel makes it not start as easy, and increasing fuel doesn't help until it starts making it worse.

I do have an issue though if it's been sitting for a few hours it doesn't start very nice. Takes a few tries and usually some throttle manipulation. Confusing thing is the coolant temps are the same as they are in the morning yet in the morning it fires up first try with no issues.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I am playing with some startup fuel to see if it improves. I added more crank injector time and going to lunch today it was a lot better though it is hot outside compared to this morning. I'm now putting my start extra settings closer to what series 1 had for on my way home from work today to test that. Outside of random long starts my car on Series 1 started pretty damn good most of the time. Really cold start could be a bastard every now and then though.

Next is working on the misfire during cruise I have and I also have to Ohm the box out for the coolant sensor issue now that I got the exact way they wanted vs how I thought they wanted it done.

I am quite happy with the fact they are making some progress with us. Should have been a little more research and testing I think before release but sometimes it takes a few "special" cars to show a problem...
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone using the AEM serial datastream gauge with the Series 2? I have one, but haven't installed yet.

Thanks,

J. Church
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:11 PM

^ would like to know 2
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ok another update.

My misfires and hesitation issues are being investigated by the engineers. I was able to catch some really severe cutouts around 2000 and 2100 rpms while holding a stead pace no acceleration or throttle movements whatsoever. It's not just there that it happens but that was extremely obvious to them and now its being looked at.

My coolant sensor circuit is wrong so the box needs to have a resistor replaced. For that I am going to send it in for them to repair vs me doing it. I've only had the box 1 week so I'd rather it be in AEM's hands and at that point they can test the box out if need be.

Startups are still looking pretty good. I've only had a couple cases where the first try didn't work but the second was successful. I have played with some fuel related settings and start extra and the car seems to be pretty solid on startups now. I need some actual "cold" startups though to be a little more sure and in Florida thats just not going to happen for a while.

Still down considerably on power from where I was on Series 1. Can't seem to figure that one out yet and car starts getting some knock noise if I add any timing so I am a little upset with that. I'll push further once the misfire issues are corrected though. I don't feel/see anything in the logs to say its happening at WOT but better safe than sorry.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itzwolf
Ok another update.

My misfires and hesitation issues are being investigated by the engineers. I was able to catch some really severe cutouts around 2000 and 2100 rpms while holding a stead pace no acceleration or throttle movements whatsoever. It's not just there that it happens but that was extremely obvious to them and now its being looked at.

My coolant sensor circuit is wrong so the box needs to have a resistor replaced. For that I am going to send it in for them to repair vs me doing it. I've only had the box 1 week so I'd rather it be in AEM's hands and at that point they can test the box out if need be.

Startups are still looking pretty good. I've only had a couple cases where the first try didn't work but the second was successful. I have played with some fuel related settings and start extra and the car seems to be pretty solid on startups now. I need some actual "cold" startups though to be a little more sure and in Florida thats just not going to happen for a while.

Still down considerably on power from where I was on Series 1. Can't seem to figure that one out yet and car starts getting some knock noise if I add any timing so I am a little upset with that. I'll push further once the misfire issues are corrected though. I don't feel/see anything in the logs to say its happening at WOT but better safe than sorry.

Have you been talking with Scott? He e-mailed me and said one other person has the misfire at 2,100...that's where mine is. It is EXTREMELY noticeable and sucks very badly. I just can't catch it in a log yet.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Have you been talking with Scott? He e-mailed me and said one other person has the misfire at 2,100...that's where mine is. It is EXTREMELY noticeable and sucks very badly. I just can't catch it in a log yet.
I am working with Edward Liu.

Guess it was good I was able to totally capture the issue, Edward said my internal logs I sent showed the issue very clearly. Let's hope for a fix soon! My car does the hesitation and misfire throughout all rpms that I've tested up till around 5500 under vacuum so its not just isolated there, it was just extreme to where the car was bucking and the logs looked ridiculous. When it does it even the o2 feedback values cut off and on. I have a min and max set to -10.2 and 10.2 the logs show it hitting -49.94% and +49.96% randomly

Here is an example of the cutout misfire in the logs at 3300rpms. Notice the AFR's going crazy and the o2 feedback readout:

Attached Thumbnails Who has tried Series2?-series-2-cutout-misfire-3300rpms.png  
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Spoke with AEM Tech Support this morning. The new firmware update that fixes the idle motor parking issue should be out in the next few business days. They also mentioned that it should be released with AEMTuner 2.0 as well.

Fingers crossed...

J. Church
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Got an update from Henry at AEM today.

He says they have found the 2,100rpm miss issue and engineers are working to get a fix implemented.

Hopefully within the next week or so we will get a Firmware update along with AEMtuner 2.0!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

He says they have found the 2,100rpm miss issue and engineers are working to get a fix implemented.

Hopefully within the next week or so we will get a Firmware update along with AEMtuner 2.0!
well that will be nice ...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the updates!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:16 PM

Does any one else have a problem working offline with the series 2?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Did he say what is causing it? I'm hoping its a fix over all rpms cause its obvious in the above picture its happening elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Who has tried Series2?