Notices

B.C. evo roll call

Old Sep 5, 2014, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm running on tephra v7. A few questions first:
  1. Evo 8 or 9? (8 requires no scaling in Tephra v7, 9 does)
  2. Which Map sensor did you go with Omni 3 or 4 bar? (scaling will vary depending on which)
  3. Have you compared the logs in evoscan to your boost gauge (if you have one) to make sure your scaling in the rom and formula in evoscan are correct? Or at the least compared logged boost to load to see if they are within range?

As far as a base map for Tephra rom I usually only do the following as long as the car is still on stock injectors:
  • Transfer Immobilizer code
  • Transfer Boost Main Tables: BDEL, WGDC, BEC etc
  • Transfer Stationary Rev Limiter and Rev Limiter
  • Transfer Fuel and Timing Tables - requires Big Map Translator Excel Spreadsheet (right click and save as)

Lastly many cars end up with high idle on cold start due to the default ISCV Demand CTS Adder #1 table values. I found these values resolve it so I've stuck with it on my base maps:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ml#post9374553

That's usually a good start. For the wideband to run the 0-5V signal to the correct pin in your evu and setup the correct formula in evoscan. For evo 8 you need to log Request ID 3C (rear o2) which is pin 75 and for evo 9 it's pin 73.

I've never setup an lc-2 but I can't imagine it being much different than an lc-1. Do you know if you have to recalibrate the lc-2 every so often? If so that will be a pain in the ***. I remember the LC-1 had to be calibrated every so often and that's why most people just went with the aem uego. Anyway this is an old post from the guru himself:

Originally Posted by mrfred
Setting up EvoScan

Add the following entry to your EvoScan "Data.xml" file:

<DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Wideband AFR" LogReference="WideBand" RequestID="3C" Eval="0.05859*x+7.35" Unit="AFR" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="22" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="22" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="false" />

If the stock LC-1 settings for the analog output #2 are being used, everything is ready to go. If you to change the AFR range represented by 0-5V to get better resolution, then you'll need to update the scaling formula in the EvoScan definition. For instance, if a range of 9.0 to 17.0 is used, then the scaling formula would be:

(17.0-9.0)/255*x + 9.0 = 0.03137*x + 9.0
You may have to play around with the formula a bit as every car is different. Basically you want to make sure your logged values coincide with you gauge values in real time. I use the AEM UEGO so I'm not sure if my formula would work for you but you can always do a search to see what other formulas are working for people with the LC-2 if those above don't line up.

Good luck!

Last edited by R. Mutt; Sep 5, 2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Oh I also tend to disable ECU Periphery0 (FAA) Bit 10 which is on by default - ecu pulls timing as cruise.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Evo IX
2.Omni 4bar.
3.Boost gauge is stock so I only really pay attention to it as reference for on/off boost.
Which brings up the question of how do I know it's reading properly? The car is running well, however it might not be hitting as high a peak boost as stock. I'm not certain as watching the road during a pull is needed. If it is falling a little flat the most likely culprit would be sensor related. I need the sensor to log boost though...

Immobilizer is pretty straight forward.
My boost tables all have different values/scalings between roms. Plus the obvious more in tephra. This is freaking me out...
I did not know you had to rescale maf. That would explain why my stock to stock tephra experiment had my car running like poo. No worries, fired up and idled like crap so straight back to stock.
Big map translator is working, properly even! I think.
Wiring lc-2 is the same. Yes it needs calibration. Oh well, just means mounting has to be smart. Can you log through both serial connection and ecu at the same time? that way you can compare log data for the wideband? Or do you just watch it and hope you're on target?

This all makes me feel like I'm on the right track, thanks for helping clear up some things.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by osetsky View Post
1. Evo IX
2.Omni 4bar.
Then I must assume you are using 88590715. In which case you make sure you have the following tables in your definition file...if not add them and follow the instructions...this is all ECUFLASH:

Originally Posted by mrfred
<table name="MAP Scaling" category="MAPSensor" address="670c" type="2D" level="1" scaling="uint8">
<table name="MAP Output" address="800e" type="Y Axis" elements="9" scaling="Volts16"/>
</table>

<table name="MAP Fault Trig: Mid VE Max #1" category="MAPSensor" address="29d6" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Volts16"/>

<table name="MAP Fault Trig: Mid VE Min #1" category="MAPSensor" address="29b6" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Volts16"/>

<table name="MAP Fault Trig High VE #1" category="MAPSensor" address="29bc" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Volts16"/>

<table name="MAP vs Baro" category="MAPSensor" address="283c" type="1D" level="1" scaling="uint16"/>

<table name="MAP Comparison" category="MAPSensor" address="2838" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Volts16"/>
----

After modifying and saving the ROM xml file, launch ECUFlash, open your ROM, and find the new entries. Note that they have their own category. It may be necessary to set ECUFlash to "Developer" mode in the ECUFlash options (and relaunch ECUFlash) to be able to see the tables. Here is what needs to be changed in ECUFlash:

0.84 11
1.37 20
1.89 31
2.42 40
2.95 48
3.48 57
4.00 67
4.53 80
4.98 255

Change the values to:

0.51 25
0.90 49
1.29 70
1.68 96
2.07 120
2.46 144
2.85 170
3.24 195
3.63 255

Change the "MAP Fault Trig: Mid VE Max #1" value from 4.80 to 4.90.

Change the "MAP Fault Trig: Mid VE Min #1" value from 0.20 to 0.10.

Change the "MAP Fault Trig High VE #1" value from 1.80 to 0.51.

Change the "MAP vs Baro" parameter from 162 to 77.

Change the "MAP Comparison" value from 4.00 to 1.23.

In ECUFlash, find the "Periphery4 (FEA) Bits" table. Change bit.14 from 1 to 0. This can be done by using the "minus" key on your computer. This disables the P0069 test.

Now find the "Periphery2 (FCA) Bits" table. Change bit.9 from 1 to 0. Use the "minus" key. This disables the P0401 (EGR) test.

Save the ROM file, and flash your ECU with it. That's it for the Evo 9 ROM mods.

3.Boost gauge is stock so I only really pay attention to it as reference for on/off boost.
Which brings up the question of how do I know it's reading properly? The car is running well, however it might not be hitting as high a peak boost as stock. I'm not certain as watching the road during a pull is needed. If it is falling a little flat the most likely culprit would be sensor related. I need the sensor to log boost though...
You have the omni 4 bar installed you said, so if you do what I mentioned above then you should be good as far as the Rom is concerned. All you need to do now is setup evoscan to log boost. Open Evoscan and make a new parameter to log and set it to the following:

LogReference=OMNIMAP
RequestID=38
Eval=0.238683*x-14.7
Unit=psig
ResponseBytes=1
GaugeMin=-15
GaugeMax=35
ChartMin=-15
ChartMax=35
ScalingFactor=1

To confirm it you can compare it to your boost gauge: get a friend, girlfriend, dog (j/k) to tell you what it's saying when you go full throttle or record it. Then compare what you are seeing in your logs. You may have to adjust your formula for atmospheric pressure where you are located. If you're at sea level then it's 14.7

Immobilizer is pretty straight forward.
My boost tables all have different values/scalings between roms. Plus the obvious more in tephra. This is freaking me out...
I did not know you had to rescale maf. That would explain why my stock to stock tephra experiment had my car running like poo. No worries, fired up and idled like crap so straight back to stock.
I would use your stock values for now until you understand how to tune. I never said anything about rescaling your MAF I said scaling the MAP sensor...two completely different things. If the idle was messed up you need to adjust the idle stepper Control table I mentioned in my previous post:
Originally Posted by kruthles View Post
In my ROM version 8859X715 the tables labeled "Desired ISCV initial step position with XX - XXX" did not show as expected. I believe that this is due to the XML files now distributed in the Tephra v7 XML pack.

If you have this issue you need to do th following:

1. Add mrfred's ISCV control system disassembly code to your XML (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7085486-post1.html)
2. Use the updated table names from this post (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8872495-post1.html)

For my car I adjusted ISCV Demand CTS Adder #1** to resolve the high idle issue.

Before:

After:

99% that is the only thing you need to change to get you're car to idle like normal on v7 IF you are on stock injectors and cams.

Big map translator is working, properly even! I think.
Wiring lc-2 is the same. Yes it needs calibration. Oh well, just means mounting has to be smart. Can you log through both serial connection and ecu at the same time? that way you can compare log data for the wideband? Or do you just watch it and hope you're on target?
I'm not a fan of the LC series wb02 sensors....UEGO is simple and works...self calibration = less chance of bogus data...which is the last thing you want. Since AFRs are so important it's not worth risking an entire engine over something you forgot to calibrate properly...just my $0.02.

All this stuff can be found in the ecuflash forum if you search (not trying to sound like a dick just saying for future reference so you look. Also Merlin's Tuning guide (google it) has a lot of the info in one PDF.

Last edited by R. Mutt; Sep 5, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, I've searched and read...and the videos...
I'm just old and computer stuff can be somewhat daunting.

As for the rom, I tried a basic install of tephra and got scared, now I'm learning to just add to my stock rom. I did the omni patch to it, car runs and logs. I live in mt pleasant though so perhaps my eval formula should be changed. It's at 14.5 for atmosphere...

And yeah, it's 88590715.

Thanks for taking the time to offer some guidance. I do figure since the car hasn't grenaded, I must not be screwing up to bad.

Couldn't say no to the wb when it only cost me 120$ brand new. Now maybe I've made a mistake with it though...oh well, it's going in!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sure it's fine...the 4G63 can take quite a bit of abuse. I did the same when I had just started....opened tephra rom, saw the plethora of table and the big maps...and thought it a bit intimidating. Eventually as you start modding the car or wanting to solve misc issues/improvements/patches it helps to be Tephra v7. In the beginning though doesn't make much of a difference.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 09:55 PM

Hello everyone! I didn't realize there was this many EVO people in the Vancouver area! I have an LY 2003 EVo 8 that is lightly modified.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the forums! How long have you had your car?

Yeah, I've got this GM 3port and some hose kicking around here as well...probably gonna throw it on and see if I can't get my boost dialed. Mad wizardry!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 03:52 PM

Welcome to the forums! How long have you had your car?

Yeah, I've got this GM 3port and some hose kicking around here as well...probably gonna throw it on and see if I can't get my boost dialed. Mad wizardry!
I have had it for about a year
Old Sep 10, 2014, 02:59 PM

Just moved here from the states. 2014 X FBO. Any weekly meets? Anyone go to the Thursday night one?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome!
You'd have to check out Revscene for meets, it's the local site here.
As for Evo meets...we had one,ummmm, last summer? I was surprised we had like 10 cars show up. Pretty awesome I thought. I have some plans for my car this winter so will push for a meet in the spring.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

RS Thursday Night meets looks like a scene from fast and the furious movies. lots of cars and very good variety. i am not a fan of showoffs and douchebaggery attitude though. over all good enough to check out.

i was there 2 or 3 Thursdays ago drinking tea from timmys
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Hey everyone. If you are going down to the RevScene Meet at Spanish Bank on the 22nd a bunch of evos are meeting up at Silver City to roll down together:

https://www.facebook.com/events/349043188625338/
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:15 AM

ooh..So there IS another LY evo running around. I just picked mine up 2 months ago.

I'm itching for more mods, feels a little underpowered....
Old May 15, 2019, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Dunno how long it's been for you guys to check this page...I crashed my car. But I'm a little crazy so kept the wreck and finally got a roller. Now I rebuild and should be back on the streets within 2 months.