Notices

Provincial window tint regulations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly the tint on the front side windows in Ontario is legal as soon as 70% of light can go through. However, the tint meters used don't seemed to be extremely accurate as just after receiving them no import vehicles (i.e. Bmw 335, audi TT, honda accord) we tested in our parking lot would have passed. They all ranged from 60-66% with tints from factory.

Unless your driving your car like a total idiot (which I am sure you don't) I wouldn't be to concern.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CanEvo09
If I remember correctly the tint on the front side windows in Ontario is legal as soon as 70% of light can go through. However, the tint meters used don't seemed to be extremely accurate as just after receiving them no import vehicles (i.e. Bmw 335, audi TT, honda accord) we tested in our parking lot would have passed. They all ranged from 60-66% with tints from factory.

Unless your driving your car like a total idiot (which I am sure you don't) I wouldn't be to concern.
I checked the guidlines for all provinces and Ontario had a "?" beside the amount of legal tint...so it's apparently not regulated. What I do know is that the cops can stop and charge you if they cannot see you wearing your seatbelt. I now have the 22% all around, and it is perfect! Car looks amazing, and I can see very clearly and the cops can still see me and my seatbelt. I'm so glad that I went with the 22%...I probably would have been very unhappy if I had gone with anything lighter.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:51 PM

i just got my lincence back and now waiting till after christmas to tint my windows i was thinking 22% on my back ones ..... i not sure about the front one my sister got pulled over in her plymouth breeze and her tint is not dark at all so yeah .... would it look weird with 22% in the back and like 35% or something really light in the front
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigQ01
i just got my lincence back and now waiting till after christmas to tint my windows i was thinking 22% on my back ones ..... i not sure about the front one my sister got pulled over in her plymouth breeze and her tint is not dark at all so yeah .... would it look weird with 22% in the back and like 35% or something really light in the front
No, wouldn't look weird at all. I've seen lots of cars with different tint levels on the front and back. I don't know what the rules are for Alberta...that's my home province and I never had tinted windows there. I found this on a site here...I won't be able to bring my Evo home if these are the rules without removing the front tints.
  • British Columbia - No film is permitted on the driver’s compartment, right and left. Any film may be installed on the side windows behind the driver. Any film may be applied to the rear window, provided the vehicle has 2 exterior rear view mirrors.
  • Alberta- Same as British Columbia.
  • Saskatchewan- Same as British Columbia.
  • Manitoba- For driver’s compartment, right and left, the minimum visible light transmittance, net, is 50%. The maximum visible light transmittance, net, is 35%. For windows behind the driver’s compartment, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance, net, is 35%. Where film is installed behind the driver’s compartment, 2 external rear view mirrors are required. The net figures that are allowed are enforced at plus or minus 5%.
  • Ontario- For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.
  • Quebec- For the driver’s compartment, right and left, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance is 70% on automotive net basis. Any film may be installed behind the driver’s compartment, provided the vehicle is outfitted with 2 exterior rear view mirrors.
  • New Brunswick - Same as Ontario.
  • Prince Edward Island- Same as British Columbia.
  • Nova Scotia - No film is permitted on any glazing surface.
  • Newfoundland- Same as Ontario.

Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

what the eff? seriously these rules are dumb.

why cant make it simple? its either legal or illegal. i prefer to legalize all window tint! yeah! from where i came from, even the front windshield can be tinted. hahahaha

PS: i grew up in manila where its okay to have something like this:

Last edited by josel_atr; Dec 23, 2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add ps
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Dumb rules? That's an understatement! I couldn't believe what I was reading either!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by coryl
No, wouldn't look weird at all. I've seen lots of cars with different tint levels on the front and back. I don't know what the rules are for Alberta...that's my home province and I never had tinted windows there. I found this on a site here...I won't be able to bring my Evo home if these are the rules without removing the front tints.
  • British Columbia - No film is permitted on the driver’s compartment, right and left. Any film may be installed on the side windows behind the driver. Any film may be applied to the rear window, provided the vehicle has 2 exterior rear view mirrors.
  • Alberta- Same as British Columbia.
  • Saskatchewan- Same as British Columbia.
  • Manitoba- For driver’s compartment, right and left, the minimum visible light transmittance, net, is 50%. The maximum visible light transmittance, net, is 35%. For windows behind the driver’s compartment, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance, net, is 35%. Where film is installed behind the driver’s compartment, 2 external rear view mirrors are required. The net figures that are allowed are enforced at plus or minus 5%.
  • Ontario- For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.
  • Quebec- For the driver’s compartment, right and left, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance is 70% on automotive net basis. Any film may be installed behind the driver’s compartment, provided the vehicle is outfitted with 2 exterior rear view mirrors.
  • New Brunswick - Same as Ontario.
  • Prince Edward Island- Same as British Columbia.
  • Nova Scotia - No film is permitted on any glazing surface.
  • Newfoundland- Same as Ontario.

Hey thanks corly for the gay rules lol....i think im just going to tint the back ones dont want to risk it and have the cops make me peel it i would be pissed lol