Notices

Over Boosting. Please help :(

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over Boosting. Please help :(

Hello fellow AP users, I received the AP from my girlfriend for Christmas. I wanted to see how the AP would do on my car and wanted to use the data logging and gauge features of it. I was on an ER tune before the AP. I had recently changed the exhaust from just the ETS V2 Quiet CBE to the CBE, test pipe, and MAP O2 eliminator downpipe with open dump. On the ER tune no problems. I plugged in the AP and loaded up the stage 2+ SF map and now I'm over boosting bad. The ER tune had me at 25lbs and I now hit a cut at 32lbs.

Mods:
ETS V2 Quiet cat back
Ultimate Racing test pipe
Map O2 Eliminator w/ open dump downpipe
Map cast exhaust manifold
AEM intake

Waiting on the Sheepey intercooler and Bushur LICP and UICP to show up so I can install them as well.

Target boost is 23.5lbs and I hit cut at 32lbs. Anyone else experience something like this?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 06:27 AM

The removal of restrictions (-CAT, +DP +TP) in your setup has resulting in greater turbo response, leading to higher compressor pressure ratio. In your case, too much.

That's basicaly what a re-tune would address at the very least. That is why Cobb provides a low wgdc version of their maps. So try that.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 08:53 AM

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about trying the LWG map this weekend. And I have talked with English and it sounds like I will be headed there to get retuned.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You should be able to unmarry the AP and return the English tune to car. Idk why you would ever flash a canned tuned in place of a custom tune that's already been done.

Sell the AP, get a laptop, tactrix cable, download evoscan and log that way.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Hopefully your girlfriend won't be pissed but sell the AP. It's pointles on the X.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 09:11 PM

I live on the other side of the state from English. It is an all day event to get there and back. I was hoping the AP would provide me some ability to modify and continue running safely and I am not a fan of having a bunch of gauges in my face. The AP is makes it so that I only have one. This car is driven very little and only on weekends. So there is no need to have a cockpit installed in it.

However, I installed a wideband this weekend and I am running very rich in boost. Gauge shows 7.8:1. Does the Evo X not have problems with leaning out? I am kinda surprised that the stock injectors, fuel pump, and MAF can support this much boost with no problems. Also this is still on that same Cobb map.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wow

7.8:1? I think thats the lowest the AEM AFR gauge reads. thats crazy rich if its accurate, that can washdown the cylinders, If its richening out that severely, your fuel maps need to be leaned out a bit, I'm not sure how the AP works for I have an 8 and I am only somewhat (only a little savvy) with ecuflash and evoscan, However, I would either get a tactrix 2.0 cable and have ER send me a basetune with a leaner and safer basemap, or I would tow my car to them, but if you live that far, I would recommend the first option, goodluck man.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by roni4g63
7.8:1? I think thats the lowest the AEM AFR gauge reads. thats crazy rich if its accurate, that can washdown the cylinders, If its richening out that severely, your fuel maps need to be leaned out a bit, I'm not sure how the AP works for I have an 8 and I am only somewhat (only a little savvy) with ecuflash and evoscan, However, I would either get a tactrix 2.0 cable and have ER send me a basetune with a leaner and safer basemap, or I would tow my car to them, but if you live that far, I would recommend the first option, goodluck man.
I am using the Innovate MTX-L and I think it goes to 7.3 but yeah. Its running super rich under boost.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 08:23 AM

Switched the to the Stg 2+ SF LWG map yesterday and did a few pulls. I'm going to have to play with ATR and see if I can get this map working better. I can give it more throttle but still over boosting and running very rich.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All these guys saying the AP is useless on an X - I'd say they don't really know what they are talking about. You can run the AP just fine. Its what I have been running on mine since i put the first mods on my car. However, I have never just downloaded a tune from Cobb - I have always had it pro tuned. So.... it is what it is. Since you are running a stock turbo and not an after market I wouldn't know where to begin with this. If you were running an aftermarket I would say check your waste gate to ensure that it was functioning properly.

Good luck. Just don't let the nay sayers lead you to believe you shouldn't run an AP with you car - cause you can. Running it on top of a custom tune though, probably not the best idea around, IMO.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evergreen
I live on the other side of the state from English. It is an all day event to get there and back. I was hoping the AP would provide me some ability to modify and continue running safely and I am not a fan of having a bunch of gauges in my face. The AP is makes it so that I only have one. This car is driven very little and only on weekends. So there is no need to have a cockpit installed in it.

However, I installed a wideband this weekend and I am running very rich in boost. Gauge shows 7.8:1. Does the Evo X not have problems with leaning out? I am kinda surprised that the stock injectors, fuel pump, and MAF can support this much boost with no problems. Also this is still on that same Cobb map.
I have an additional question - Have you bothered to call Cobb as ask specifically about your problem?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 03:55 PM

I called Cobb first thing. I was told that their OTS map can not control my setup. And that I would need a Protune. Also was told to buy the Cobb 3-port And use the stage 3 map. All of this advise I was fine with but by the end of the phone call I was kind of annoyed. I was asked if I had the Cobb exhaust, Cobb intake, Cobb test pipe, Cobb etc. I get that they want to promote their products but they also need to accept the fact that there are other options out there and the answer to my problems isn't changing to exclusively Cobb products. I was told that I should be looking into a different manifold and going to an external wastegate setup. Other than that I have no gripes about what I was told by Cobb.

I also contacted English Racing as was told that tuning would greatly help me and that I could schedule an appointment that would work for me and would have me happy in 2-3 hours. And they would tune it utilizing the Cobb AP if that is what I wanted.

***Update as of 02/22/16
I have been playing with the Cobb ATR software and after a weekend of researching I discovered that I needed to calibrated for the AEM intake. I found the info needed for that and tried it out. It hasn't fixed the issues but has made them not so extreme. Still over boosting and still running super rich. I will continue playing with the tune using ATR and learning what I can from Merlin's tuning guide. I have a couple of other things I want to tweak to see if it helps.

Last edited by Evergreen; Feb 28, 2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 05:16 PM

Some more updates...

I had been using the 91oct map and today I tried out the 93oct map to see if it would help at all. Still running rich. I guess next I need to look and see if I even have the stock injectors. I don't know why they would be anything else.

Also made some changes to the Reactive Solenoid WGDC Correction Intervals. They were at 7 and I changed them to 3. This change seems to help quite a bit with the over boost situation. Wasn't able to get some WOT pulls in just yet but under moderate load it seems to be working much better.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Cobb AP is designed to work smoothly with only Cobb parts, with the exception of the intake which also needs calibration and the catback.
A small amount of research would reveal that. GET A PROTUNE or switch to Cobb high flow cat and downpipe if you want trouble free operation.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
The Cobb AP is designed to work smoothly with only Cobb parts, with the exception of the intake which also needs calibration and the catback.
A small amount of research would reveal that. GET A PROTUNE or switch to Cobb high flow cat and downpipe if you want trouble free operation.
Out of the box with no tuning and only downloaded maps, the AP is designed to work smoothly with Only Cobb parts.

There the opening statement to this has been updated for clarification because you can use other parts with the AP just fine as long as you get it tuned (which seems to me to be the only way to add aftermarket parts to your car).

Quick Reply: Over Boosting. Please help :(