Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Cobra's are overrated

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasil
Mame, you and I won't see eye to eye on this one dude. I've owned a Cobra and my 05' can't touch the power that car had. With a pulley, catback, filter, tune it ran a 11.53@120 mph all for a whopping $1100.

Great job on beating the driver not the car since many stock cars are in the high 12's@108-111mph with good drivers, but again great job. I post many links to stock block, stock trans, cobras running low 10's with 5K-8K worth of mods.

The most popular Cobra owner that you might identify with is Allen aka Broke7 who raced Chris's EVO aka "The AMS EVO" that is on srvidz.com and streetfire. His car has run a 10.5@133mph with 5K in it. In fact if you watch the video of him and Chris...Chris wins, but doesn't start to pull until 110mph and his car is bad as hell!! Allen has now run a 10.89@127mph with just the blower on pump gas and will be in the 135mph+ range with his 75 shot of nitrous again all for 5K!

Don't start slamming the cobra there are many more coming with TT kits and most will be in the 700rwhp on pump and 900rwhp++ on race gas.

With all that being said what do I drive? A 05' Black Tarmac EVO, so you know which car I like better, but Cobras are freaking bad!! Good run and it's always fun to beat a V-8!
Maybe stock with D/Rs. The track prep here is terrible and the 4wd guys have a huge advantage. Most of the stock cobras here only just break into high 13's.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by slow4dr
As long as you realize you didn't beat the car.
At that track , he did beat the car.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mame Slaughter
Apparently no one can drive them, cause I've yet to see one run better than low 13's.

You should get out more often.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Prof. Pollo
At that track , he did beat the car.

He beat the driver.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:40 AM

He beat the driver.
I did beat the car. RWD cars are nothing without either slicks or rediculously good track prep. There's a blown LS1 Trans am floating around here which I've seen only run mid 12's. Lot of money in that car for mediocre times.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:42 AM

I did beat the car.

Obviously with a blown V8 he's got more power, but he couldn't put it to the ground!
Which one is it gonna be? You can't have both.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:42 AM

Good run!

I think there may be some Evo owners in here who secretly wish they had bought a Cobra.. How sad. ha ha
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

man...............you know blown LS1 are slow.............omg there was one here a few years back with a procharger and it made like 340 whp.............damn im still laughing
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO, you beat the driver! If car A traps at 102mph and car B traps at 109mph car B has more power. Like you said he couldn't put it to the ground, but that is not the car it's the driver. He is just a better tire, a better laucnh or shift away from beating you.

Nothing against you it's just potential is in the trap speeds. Given the trap speed you can see where the car could run in perfect conditions.

Again good run and keep beating the V-8 guys.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo9mr
Good run!

I think there may be some Evo owners in here who secretly wish they had bought a Cobra.. How sad. ha ha

come on man I'm a ford guy cut me a break
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:44 AM

Which one is it gonna be? You can't have both.
I'm saying, that--at least at MY track (I know track prep is better at others)--That car isn't going to hook up good enough with anyone driving that car to beat me when I'm cutting 1.7 60's on stock tires.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:45 AM

RWD cars are nothing without either slicks or rediculously good track prep. There's a blown LS1 Trans am floating around here which I've seen only run mid 12's. Lot of money in that car for mediocre times.
There is a 500+ WHP EVO locally that can't break out of the mid 11's. I don't hold it against the car..........just the driver.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:45 AM

NO, you beat the driver! If car A traps at 102mph and car B traps at 109mph car B has more power. Like you said he couldn't put it to the ground, but that is not the car it's the driver. He is just a better tire, a better laucnh or shift away from beating you.

Nothing against you it's just potential is in the trap speeds. Given the trap speed you can see where the car could run in perfect conditions.

4wd traction = better ets with lower trap speeds. Maybe the Cobra would have won from a highway roll. Cobra > * from the ricer roll.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

it's a record..........me and jasil agree again !!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Torre from Va.
man...............you know blown LS1 are slow.............omg there was one here a few years back with a procharger and it made like 340 whp.............damn im still laughing
Are you serious?? That sounds WAAAAAY low...

Quick Reply: Cobra's are overrated