Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

whats up w/ my trap speeds?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Furthermore, I have far less mods than you do and I have been consistently running far better et's and trap speeds than you and this si on the stock clutch with NO cams mind you. Now granted mine is a evo 9 but you have other mods that I dont have.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
eh... id say that your car should be faster being that it is a 9. I would need cams to keep up with you at my mod level, that, and better driving. My intake is the typhoon, so I doubt its helping much. (1st mod when i was a total n00b)

I am scheduling an appointment to have the cams installed the week of sept 18th along with a trip up to RobiSpec and right after to Tuning Tech that same week. I will get a race gas tune along with a pump tune. Only thing is that I won't be able to switch maps cuz I dont have a PC laptop Maybe you can help me switch the map at the track if you're there the same time I am.

Hopefully I can break the 7's with a race map and cams! That would be awesome if I could!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
You have to assume that w/o tuning your car will knock.
Why would you "have" to assume that? You are inferring without any evidence at all that you must assume that you will knock no matter what if you put in race gas and run higher boost. Evo's don't magically knock if you raise the boost with higher octane

If you put in a tank of race fuel and crank up your boost controller with the stock flash and head to the lanes you'll have a suprise boost cut all the way down the track. Unless your car is running like junk you WILL hit boost cut by trying that one. So that argument is pointless.

However, if you removed the boost cut and ran race fuel and higher octane you could run a decent amount faster. The stock tune is so conservative that you will will be spitting more fuel and less timing than with a flash which in most cases means less power, which is why the flash is advantageous.

flash + race gas + high boost = more timing and less fuel (more agressive, more powerful tune)

stock fuel/ign maps + race gas + high boost = less timing, more fuel (more conservative, less power, which 99.9% of the time means a lot safer)
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
eh... id say that your car should be faster being that it is a 9. I would need cams to keep up with you at my mod level, that, and better driving. My intake is the typhoon, so I doubt its helping much. (1st mod when i was a total n00b)

I am scheduling an appointment to have the cams installed the week of sept 18th along with a trip up to RobiSpec and right after to Tuning Tech that same week. I will get a race gas tune along with a pump tune. Only thing is that I won't be able to switch maps cuz I dont have a PC laptop Maybe you can help me switch the map at the track if you're there the same time I am.

Hopefully I can break the 7's with a race map and cams! That would be awesome if I could!
First off, smack yourself for putting that typhoon on hahahah jk. Second of all, why would you take your car to robispec? They screwed my friends evo 9 up so bad. I would never recommend them to anyone. Now tuning tech is a very good choice. If I were you I would take my car to RRE before Robispec. And yes I have a nice laptop and I should be receiving my cable very soon, so I could switch your maps for you no problem.

Hope everything works out for you and say hi to alfred for me. When is your appointment? Mine is on thursday(I think). His wife needs to confirm with me.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Why would you "have" to assume that? You are inferring without any evidence at all that you must assume that you will knock no matter what if you put in race gas and run higher boost. Evo's don't magically knock if you raise the boost with higher octane

If you put in a tank of race fuel and crank up your boost controller with the stock flash and head to the lanes you'll have a suprise boost cut all the way down the track. Unless your car is running like junk you WILL hit boost cut by trying that one. So that argument is pointless.

However, if you removed the boost cut and ran race fuel and higher octane you could run a decent amount faster. The stock tune is so conservative that you will will be spitting more fuel and less timing than with a flash which in most cases means less power, which is why the flash is advantageous.

flash + race gas + high boost = more timing and less fuel (more agressive, more powerful tune)

stock fuel/ign maps + race gas + high boost = less timing, more fuel (more conservative, less power, which 99.9% of the time means a lot safer)
Why do people assume a arab getting on a plane could be a possible terrorist suspect? Gee, I dunno, maybe because he could likely be one? Well same theory applies to this. Just because you add race fuel to the picture doesnt mean that your car will not knock. Actually because your ecu hasnt been flashed you will most likely knock due to yuor ecu seeing new things into the picture that it wasnt designed to run on. Furthermore if you add race fuel to a ecu that hasnt been tuned and you increase the boost you will spike to that boost setting then taper dramatically and rendor your race fuel and boost setting pointless. In order to optimize race fuel is to first flash yuor ecu. So your race fuel would only be effective when it spikes to that increased boost setting. I hope this makes sense for you.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Why do people assume a arab getting on a plane could be a possible terrorist suspect? Gee, I dunno, maybe because he could likely be one? Well same theory applies to this. Just because you add race fuel to the picture doesnt mean that your car will not knock. Actually because your ecu hasnt been flashed you will most likely knock due to yuor ecu seeing new things into the picture that it wasnt designed to run on. Furthermore if you add race fuel to a ecu that hasnt been tuned and you increase the boost you will spike to that boost setting then taper dramatically and rendor your race fuel and boost setting pointless. In order to optimize race fuel is to first flash yuor ecu. So your race fuel would only be effective when it spikes to that increased boost setting. I hope this makes sense for you.
No, you will not "most likely knock due to ECU seeing new things". Octane rating is octane. If you have have knock because you have overly advanced timing and then add high octane knock goes away. There are alot of things that will cause knock, but high octane fuel in an unflashed car is not one of them. Not having a reflashed ECU and expecting it to optimized at a given boost level is correct.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a terrible analogy and your prejudice against middle easterners really shows your stupidity.

I tried to be nice in my first post, but you have no idea what you are talking about, at all. Its also obvious you have no idea about tuning. Step away from the keyboard and stop posting mis information.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Second of all, why would you take your car to robispec? They screwed my friends evo 9 up so bad.
Well being that Robispec won the shootout last year prolly means he knows what he is doing. Also Buschur recommends him as well. That sucks for your friend... what happened?

Nothing against RRE, but I have a moral objective of taking my car to a company that blatantly overcharges customers just because they are too busy.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
No, you will not "most likely knock due to ECU seeing new things". Octane rating is octane. If you have have knock because you have overly advanced timing and then add high octane knock goes away. There are alot of things that will cause knock, but high octane fuel in an unflashed car is not one of them. Not having a reflashed ECU and expecting it to optimized at a given boost level is correct.
I have not a clue why you do not understand running higher oct and increasing boost w/o a flashed ecu is pointless? Because many of us at evom have a fond understanding of this nature. A friend of mine has a wbo2 that also monitors knock. When he ran his car(before he went with a standlone) with increased boost and race fuel he saw knock at peak boost all the way to about 6000rpms. So he stopped doing this. When he set his boost back to stock with pump gas no knock.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
That is a terrible analogy and your prejudice against middle easterners really shows your stupidity.

I tried to be nice in my first post, but you have no idea what you are talking about, at all. Its also obvious you have no idea about tuning. Step away from the keyboard and stop posting mis information.
First off, please tell me how I am wrong when 90% of evom understands the fact that they get flashed in order to run more boost with race fuel. I mean why do people shell out 400bucks for a custom flash for race maps and street maps? The point is very obvious IMHO. And its what I have been telling you since day one. Why dont you ask al or alfred if your choice of using such methods w/o adequate tuning is a wise decision because I can gaurantee you that they will tell you otherwise.

And to your thought that I am prejudice, is your assumption of me from one comment that I wrote that was used for an analogy. You have a severe problem with taking things out of its proper context. I hope you correct your problem.

At any rate, if you want to know my opinion I will gladly give it to you. In concordance to checking people before they get on a plane we shouldn't have random checks. We should check each and every single person getting on a plane to the fullest extent no matter shape, size, ethnicity, or w/e the case may be. I hope that clears it up for you.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
Well being that Robispec won the shootout last year prolly means he knows what he is doing. Also Buschur recommends him as well. That sucks for your friend... what happened?

Nothing against RRE, but I have a moral objective of taking my car to a company that blatantly overcharges customers just because they are too busy.
Well the thing you arent realizing is thats their shop car so of course they are going to do a good job on that car. But your car they could give a crap less about.

Lets just say they damaged his fendors when they rolled them, they used rubbing compound to get the overspray paint off and they ruined his paint, they tightened his strut bolts where they connect to the top plate too tight which caused them to shear off which was a $600 loss, and the ride itself was horrible. The car also creeked when he turned to the right. And dont let robispec test drive your car off the jump thats around the block near his house OR ELSE YOU WILL NEED NEW HUBS TOO. So I hope with just that you realize it may not be such a wise decision. I am just for warning you so I hope you heed my warning.

Now I think you dont understand what RRE offers which is the reason why for their pricing. They offer a whole different world as far as professional suspension tuning. They do things that make Robispec look like childs play. Ask anyone who is a RRE customer or has ever went in their shop they will tell you that they do nothing but the best quality of work and they have the best tools to do so.

It is totally worth it. If you want I know a professional suspension tech that could dial in your suspension for a fraction of the cost and he is amazing. We should definitely chill sometime and you can check out my car and feel its suspension.

Hope to hear from you soon.