Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Turbotrix Schootout Experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbotrix Schootout Experience

We had a great time at the Schootout this year and would like thank Dave and Buschur racing for putting on another great event. It was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones. Its always nice to put faces to names. We spent friday night on the dyno with one of our customers cars and unfortunately his turbo let go on the dyno. We lent him a spare that we had but unfortunately it had a 4 bolt backhousing(his was a 5 bolt) so we needed to make a new o2 housing. Since it was already after Midnight we decided to make the drive out to Ohio and finish the turbo install and o2 when we got out there.

Tym Switzer was kind enough to let us use his shop on Sunday morning. Thank you very much Tym! You do amazing work and your attention to detail is second to none. I was extremely impressed with the shop and the quality of work that comes out of it. They were working on everything from Porsches, to VW's, to Evo's, etc. He took one of their Evo's to the event and ran 103mph to the 1/8 on pump gas and 26psi. Not bad for a full weight Gt35R Evo.

Brandon's car was well on its way to an 8 second pass on his 1st qualifier. He was 5.9x@124 to the 1/8 mile and then the IC pipe popped off and actually broke the strap that was holding it on. Boost Brothers Racing came through and re-welded the strap for us but unfortunately the weld broke again on the 2nd pass. The pipe just didn't want to stay on for the rest of the day. The orange car ran 9.2@146 in qualifying. The vac. line came off the regulator causing the car to go lean so I had to lift. Even 17:0 AFR'S couldn't stop the TTR built 2.1L motor. Turbotrix Power BRO!!!! Both cars got eliminated in the 1st round. Brandon redlit and I bogged the launch from being on the anti-lag so long. We made another pass in time trials at the end of the day and ran 9.3@159 with a S%$tty 1.58 60ft.

All in all was a good weekend. We even got to bring home a sweet souvenir.

Keith

Last edited by TurbotrixRacing; Aug 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

17':0 AFR! wow! TTR FTW! Any pics or video Keith?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Great built on both cars, as is the tune either. Good luck on your next track day Keith.
Say hello to everyone at TT.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JVELA
Great built on both cars, as is the tune either. Good luck on your next track day Keith.
Say hello to everyone at TT.

I will Chuco. Thank you. Good luck with your Daily Driven beast. You need to take us for a ride when we come out there again.

Keith
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evovin
17':0 AFR! wow! TTR FTW! Any pics or video Keith?

I believe that Mellon made a great video of the Q16 cars. There are a few people that have posted pics.

Keith
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
He took one of their Evo's to the event and ran 103mph to the 1/8 on pump gas and 26psi. Not bad for a full weight Gt35R Evo.

Keith

Keith, how come they only ran to the 1/8th, was it a license test>? How much does a "full weight" Evo weigh BTW ? Just curious. I did not notice the car.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

I will Chuco. Thank you. Good luck with your Daily Driven beast. You need to take us for a ride when we come out there again.

Keith
Hehehe, no more stree for the Evo Keith. We are going to go further and we thought that the only way to make that possible is taking some weight out. Let's see what happen. Take care.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Keith what ever happened to TTX shootout?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Keith, how come they only ran to the 1/8th, was it a license test>? How much does a "full weight" Evo weigh BTW ? Just curious. I did not notice the car.
Actually Al the car did make a full pass. I wasn't sure of the mph at the end of the 1/4 so I didn't want to post wrong numbers. I just verified it and the car trapped 130mph. Not too bad for just an off the shelf GT35R on pump gas. As far as how much it weighed, I'm not sure. The car actually didn't have AC so I guess its not "full weight" but its been argued that some people don't need/use AC so it shouldn't matter if its there or not. The car is not a track car so I don't think the owner really cares how much it weighed. But you do bring up a good question Al. What exactly do you condsider "full weight"? If your car no longer has a heater core is it a race car or a street car? These are things that everyone is going to have their own opinion on and can be argued for ever. Without physically being there you will never know the exact weight of someones car.

Keith

Last edited by TurbotrixRacing; Aug 20, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Driven Innovations
Keith what ever happened to TTX shootout?

Since Javier is no longer at E-town they don't have the event anymore. We are talking about having one at Atco next year. BTW, thank you for the Intake Manifold. It looks great. We will be heading back to the track in the next week and will let you know our results.

Keith
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since Javier is no longer at E-town they don't have the event anymore. We are talking about having one at Atco next year. BTW, thank you for the Intake Manifold. It looks great. We will be heading back to the track in the next week and will let you know our results.

Keith
Yea. That kinda sucks..But what about the shootout on sunday, september 21? Is that a E-Town thing ?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:01 AM
Account Disabled

Actually Al the car did make a full pass. I wasn't sure of the mph at the end of the 1/4 so I didn't want to post wrong numbers. I just verified it and the car trapped 130mph. Not too bad for just an off the shelf GT35R. As far as how much it weighed, I'm not sure. The car actually didn't have AC so I guess its not "full weight" but its been argued that some people don't need/use AC so it shouldn't matter if its there or not. The car is not a track car so I don't think the owner really cares how much it weighed. But you do bring up a good question Al. What exactly do you condsider "full weight"? If your car no longer has a heater core is it a race car or a street car? These are things that everyone is going to have their own opinion on and can be argued for ever. Without physically being there you will never know the exact weight of someones car.

Keith

Frankly, I am not that impressed with those times, back 4 years ago several guys were running 9's (including myself) on a GT35 AMS kit and Curt Brown went 9.3 something ultimately in a car he drove to and from the track. David Buschur is running 151 and 9.5 in his street driven RS.

The "full weight" discussion is a slipperly slope. In the absense of a sanctioning body and some kind of rules on the subject, anyone can do anything in the field of weight reduction. Its hard to draw any comparision unless you have an actual scale on hand to weigh the cars and set a minimum weight. Customers may watch several Evos run down the track and not realize that some might weigh hundreds of pounds less due to extensive weight reduction measures. At the end of the day when it comes to bragging rights for who is the "fastest" or "quickest" I dont think anyone cares what anyone does to achieve the result. Since no rules apply, its anything goes and "no excuses" to the slower guys (like myself) to complain about if they can't keep up with the pace.

At the end of the day, until some form of organized racing comes along, its up to everyone to set up their cars how they want them to be set up. Hopefully, the customer's who are following the results will be educated and smart enough to be able to compare and contrast varying levels of weight reduction and other significant factors that go into the mix in analizing the results.

Al
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Breakage sucks no matter what . I think those are good times in the making. Glad to see friendly competion between everyone. Ingore all the jabs and keep goin fast.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:17 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that Mellon made a great video of the Q16 cars. There are a few people that have posted pics.

Keith
I've been steadily editing and adding new videos to this thread as I find time to work on it.

http://www.racevideoforums.com/forum...-coverage.html

great showing out there for Turbotrix both cars were mind blowingly fast...I had to stand up to watch those runs.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Frankly, I am not that impressed with those times, back 4 years ago several guys were running 9's (including myself) on a GT35 AMS kit and Curt Brown went 9.3 something ultimately in a car he drove to and from the track. David Buschur is running 151 and 9.5 in his street driven RS.
Al
Albert ..

you do realize this was done on straight pump gas correct ? .. Im sure the cars your speak of .. didnt fill up at the pump prior to racing .. To me thats impressive.

Tym switzer imho is the best in that area for those kinds of builds. He used to be at another shop building fast cars just not getting the recognition for building them. Now seeing his facility and the cars he puts out .. its really impressive. When we got out there he was tweaking john sheppards red evo .. in the parking lot. ( ran 9.9 the next day on E85 ) great job john

Mark
Turbotrix

Last edited by TurbotrixRacing; Aug 20, 2008 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbotrix Schootout Experience