Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

18th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout

Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
If only it was that easy! Head gaskets don't seem to appreciate the 1100whp it takes to move 2800lbs down the 1/4 in less than 8 seconds even with o-rings and hard block to the water pump! I suppose dropping some weight would be the easiest route, but keep in mind tube chassis cars can't compete in the Q16.
Correct tube cars cant.. Tubbed rear SRA like yours can though.. I wont be using an Auto trans and wont need 1100hp.. or being using a 2.4L.. Dont worry..

Just think what 2400lbs with driver will do at ~900whp.. which i know i can make 50+ passes and 250 dyno pulls on 1 Buschur motor.. I have already done it..

Been racing a long time.. You turn up the car to 1100 hp when you need it.. Not to qualify in a field of 8 cars or to eliminate car thats 1 second slower.. Sleeping on the tree not wise either..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Aug 23, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Some of you need banned from the race for stupidity.

I had my meeting with the track today. Some thieves stole banners from the track, I was charged $760 for this stupidity.

Jet ski in the pool......luckily I got the license number for the Ohio plated eve today, I'll pass that on to Norwalk police tomorrow.

The hotel rates have nothing to do with the shootout, it's the huge amusement park and lake Erie summer travelers that do that. Trashing the hotels is stupid and childish. Making an excuse why it's ok to disrespect someone elses property is even dumber.

I am ashamed of a lot of you and HATE being associated with you by the local people here.
That sucks that you were held liable :-( Some NOS coolers were stolen from our local event, I just don't understand what these people are thinking. Not only are they hurting the perception of the industry as a whole, they caused the host of the event to regret even being associated with the particpants!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Correct tube cars cant.. Tubbed rear SRA like yours can though.. I wont be using an Auto trans and wont need 1100hp.. or being using a 2.4L.. Dont worry..

Just think what 2400lbs with driver will do at ~900whp.. which i know i can make 50+ passes and 250 dyno pulls on 1 Buschur motor.. I have already done it..

Been racing a long time.. You turn up the car to 1100 hp when you need it.. Not to qualify in a field of 8 cars or to eliminate car thats 1 second slower.. Sleeping on the tree not wise either..

Mike
Best of luck to you sir. In our case we weren't trying to win the class, we were trying to run in the 7s and join a very elite group. I'm confident we will get there very soon. In regards to sleeping on the tree it takes a moment to get up on the converter and I wasn't in any rush ;-)
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Best of luck to you sir. In our case we weren't trying to win the class, we were trying to run in the 7s and join a very elite group. I'm confident we will get there very soon. In regards to sleeping on the tree it takes a moment to get up on the converter and I wasn't in any rush ;-)
See you next year..

Mike
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing like a little rivalry in the Evo World. Can't wait for this event next year.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd personally love to build another RWD car but the racing for it isn't there.

Consider we were the first ever to run 7's with a 4g63, did it on a STOCK DSM ECU, VPC/GCC for fuel management. We did it on OLD turbo technology, stock graphite DSM head gasket, oh boy the list of things that we didn't have or know then.

Then I look at the Conquest, 8.5's at 156, same set up, heavy, power windows, 10" tire and a 12 bolt rear.

It would be brainless for us to put together a 7 second car now that would run all year, that is meant as NO insult to you Chris. I just know the power we made then and what we make now and how long the stuff lasts. The engine in my RS would run all year without touching it and put the tube car deeper in the 7's than it was and the Conquest damn close to 7's.

We have Alberts car down in Aruba. RWD Civic with a 4g63. I was down there over 3 years ago to tune it, he's not touched that engine since then and it's gone as fast as 7.61 at 175 mph. The car is for sale now.

Just no real venues for a car of that caliber anymore (tube chassis RWD), import racing as it was in the late 90's early 2000's is gone, NOPI/NHRA ruined it and now that chapter for the most part is closed.

Thanks God we still have the shootout and it's doing well!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Consider we were the first ever to run 7's with a 4g63, did it on a STOCK DSM ECU, VPC/GCC for fuel management. We did it on OLD turbo technology, stock graphite DSM head gasket, oh boy the list of things that we didn't have or know then.

Then I look at the Conquest, 8.5's at 156, same set up, heavy, power windows, 10" tire and a 12 bolt rear.

It would be brainless for us to put together a 7 second car now that would run all year, that is meant as NO insult to you Chris. I just know the power we made then and what we make now and how long the stuff lasts. The engine in my RS would run all year without touching it and put the tube car deeper in the 7's than it was and the Conquest damn close to 7's.

We have Alberts car down in Aruba. RWD Civic with a 4g63. I was down there over 3 years ago to tune it, he's not touched that engine since then and it's gone as fast as 7.61 at 175 mph. The car is for sale now.

Just no real venues for a car of that caliber anymore (tube chassis RWD), import racing as it was in the late 90's early 2000's is gone, NOPI/NHRA ruined it and now that chapter for the most part is closed.

No offense taken sir, but I do think you're selling yourself a bit short in regards to that accomplishment being that only 7 cars (2 of which are yours) can claim to have run in the 7s as far as I know. In regards to racing, we find ourselves in that exact situation as we really have no idea what to do with the car once we accomplish our goal of a 7 second pass, there really is no sanctioning body in which to competitively race this car. We're leaning towards the king street class at our local track (all we need is a DOT tire like the Hoosier QTP and exhaust exiting behind the driver) but the marketing value goes out the window as its basically all domestic guys competing at those events.

On another note, do you happen to recall the weight of any of the cars you mentioned? If we could drop some weight and get down to the 2400lbs with driver that Mike suggested we could make an identical pass with 150whp less (~940whp) and I'm confident we could keep the head gasket in the car at that power level. Getting to 2400lbs is the difficult part though as we're trying to keep this thing a "streetable" car lol.

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Aug 24, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

The tube chassis car was about 2250 with me in it if I remember correctly. It was way to light, if I had to do it over again we'd build the car differently. The Conquest was 2650 if I remember right, with Kevin in it. It wasn't even back halved, stock wheel tubs in that car.

The Honda is probably close to 2450 with the driver in it, that car retained the factory rockers and factory floor in some of it, it was very rigid and works really well.

My tube car had a best sixty foot of 1.10. The Conquest ran consistent 1.30's on a 10" tire.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

The tube chassis car was about 2250 with me in it if I remember correctly. It was way to light, if I had to do it over again we'd build the car differently. The Conquest was 2650 if I remember right, with Kevin in it. It wasn't even back halved, stock wheel tubs in that car.

The Honda is probably close to 2450 with the driver in it, that car retained the factory rockers and factory floor in some of it, it was very rigid and works really well.

My tube car had a best sixty foot of 1.10. The Conquest ran consistent 1.30's on a 10" tire.
~930whp in the tube chassis car at that time is damn impressive! Sounds like Albert is making over 1000whp if that weight is accurate, does he run Methanol? I need to get rid of this auto and put some more power to the ground lol.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

None of the cars ran methanol, we ran Sunoco 118 back then, Albert runs Q16. We all ran powerglides and the Honda still does.

The tube car and Conquest on our Dynojet back then, because of converter losses only put down under 700 whp at the time. As stupid as this is going to sound, power is over rated for going fast, there is a lot more to getting any car down the track than how much WHP it makes, that is for sure.

I'm not selling myself short on the 7's, I bring it up when I feel I need to, haha. The reality is it's not very hard to do with a RWD drag car, doing it now, nearly 10 years later would be easy is all.

I think it's much more of a challenge to run 8's in a real street car with a 5 speed than it was to go 7's. Trying to get my RS in the 8's has kicked my butt but with a street car I've put severe limitations on the car, or the 8's would have been done with it already too. Like keeping the big brakes, full interior, air bags, door beams, wipers, full exhaust and running two mufflers etc., that stuff makes it tough. Keeping the power band nice and wide makes it tough too, throwing a big laggy turbo on the car so I can throw another 200 whp at it would make it a little easier..

Anyway, love the RX7.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

It's sad to say that that it seems this is the grim reality of the Import Drag racing scene almost everywhere in the US but will there ever be a come-back once our economy hopefully bounces back

Or do you all think it will remain more of a grassroots type following?

I know i'm probably not the only one that would love to see more "pro" level competition similar to what seems to be the case in PR w/ there tube cars..........probably just a pipe dream i guess
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm not selling myself short on the 7's, I bring it up when I feel I need to, haha. The reality is it's not very hard to do with a RWD drag car, doing it now, nearly 10 years later would be easy is all.
Easy for you maybe as you've already been down that road There were at least two RWD 1g's at the shootout that probably don't share that same opinion lol. I'm honestly considering ditching the headlights, passenger seat, glass, dash, and huge radiator / intercooler to make this feat a little easier, but then we wouldn't be able to cruise the hotel parking lots next year lol.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Like I said, easy to go fast in a drag car, cruising the parking lots FTMFW!!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yea i was at the best western when that RX7 rolled through. Never knew that thing went low 8s lol. Beautiful car chris, good luck with the quest for 7s
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Easy for you maybe as you've already been down that road There were at least two RWD 1g's at the shootout that probably don't share that same opinion lol. I'm honestly considering ditching the headlights, passenger seat, glass, dash, and huge radiator / intercooler to make this feat a little easier, but then we wouldn't be able to cruise the hotel parking lots next year lol.
Keep it a street car!