Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

evodan2004's attempt at 9s take 1... failed

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
yes sir. drivers side rear axle. i am going to clean it out for sure. i hope it is not damaged. i drove it home and i didnt here any strange sounds so i hope its ok. the only thing i noticed was at a red light 1 time i moved the car a little to quick and it felt like a clutch slipping. im told this is normal with a broken axle. i should have towed it home i think.

Yup, mine did the same thing, your front VCU slips like hell (viscous coupling) When you have a broken rear axle. If you payed any attention, you can watch your speedo mph go up, but car would not really go anywhere, just act like a slipping clutch

I dunno if it's a bad thing to drive on it or not, I drove mine home as well, fixed the rear axle and everything has been fine since.

So did your's spit axle grease everywhere? haha Mine broke BOTH axle cup boot clamps and axle grease fling everywhere! It was a mess
Old May 22, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evodude32
Yup, mine did the same thing, your front VCU slips like hell (viscous coupling) When you have a broken rear axle. If you payed any attention, you can watch your speedo mph go up, but car would not really go anywhere, just act like a slipping clutch

I dunno if it's a bad thing to drive on it or not, I drove mine home as well, fixed the rear axle and everything has been fine since.

So did your's spit axle grease everywhere? haha Mine broke BOTH axle cup boot clamps and axle grease fling everywhere! It was a mess
yea i blew the boot off and broke those clamps. the axle was actually sticking out of the rear about 3/4 inch. grease was all over the place. when i got under there i said. oops i think i need driving lessons.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
10.4 @ 140 still isn't bad at all for your first time driving the car in what 6 months, lower boost, and a new clutch setup! Sorry I couldn't make it out yesterday man. I will next time and hopefully Ill see some 40 psi blasts down the 1/4!
Old May 23, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
10.4 @ 140 still isn't bad at all for your first time driving the car in what 6 months, lower boost, and a new clutch setup! Sorry I couldn't make it out yesterday man. I will next time and hopefully Ill see some 40 psi blasts down the 1/4!

thanks man. i got there and threw tech around 12:30pm. i did 3 runs. took a lunch break and then did 2 more. i left the track at 3 oclock. oddly the place was packed too. my friend who came with me got 8 passes in. i would have kept going if i did not brake the axle.

maybe i can get some tips from the evo drag racers.

my one concern is when i launch the car i always blow the tires apart. bouncing off the rev limiter for the length of 1st gear. my 60 foots IMO suck. pass after pass after pass. my question is. is my launch control 2step to high? 6500rpm. if you go to my youtube chan ''evodan2009'' and look at all my drag passes nearly every pass im spinning pretty hard.

should i lower it?
Old May 23, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Try these: http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...p-axle-hub-kit

I had a set in my honda and it took all the abuse I gave them. A little pricey but it better than breaking axles and possibly damaging other drivetrain parts
Old May 23, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

ok i got the rear out of the car. the rest of the axle shaft that go's into the rear popped out pretty quickly. so thats a plus.

the bad news is when you look inside that hole where the shaft go's its chewed up pretty good. i am wondering if i should send it back to TRE for a look since its the HD side cover that got chewed up.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully the damage is minimal, getting back to the track for the first time and breaking stuff sucks!
Old May 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my one concern is when i launch the car i always blow the tires apart. bouncing off the rev limiter for the length of 1st gear. my 60 foots IMO suck. pass after pass after pass. my question is. is my launch control 2step to high? 6500rpm. if you go to my youtube chan ''evodan2009'' and look at all my drag passes nearly every pass im spinning pretty hard.

should i lower it?
Holy spin master flex over here...What is your launching technique? Are you just dumping the clutch? With how much you are spinning it almost seems like it. Try lowering your 2 step to 6000 or 6200 next time out. I am in no way a drag race guru and my setup is way different from you but 6000-6200 has worked great for me over the past 2 or 3 yrs...plenty of 1.6-low 1.7 60 fts on street tires...
Old May 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Holy spin master flex over here...What is your launching technique? Are you just dumping the clutch? With how much you are spinning it almost seems like it. Try lowering your 2 step to 6000 or 6200 next time out. I am in no way a drag race guru and my setup is way different from you but 6000-6200 has worked great for me over the past 2 or 3 yrs...plenty of 1.6-low 1.7 60 fts on street tires...
HAHAHA.

i try to let off the clutch slowly but it grabs so quickly. once its grabbed i pretty much let up. not a dump but i let it up and then hold on. should i let it slip for 20 30 feet? ill try lowering the 2step next time. haha.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

9's will come soon enough...

I ran my tires @ 22-18psi azenis
I ran the quartermaster clutch and I would slip it alot so I didnt Break Stuff but never got any good 60-foots I was Launching At 7,000Rpms I did no Lift Shift and only missed 2 times with my old TRE Trans!

Im gonna run 26'' Hoosiers on some kosie K1 16'' Wheels

What rpm did you feel was best for launching? Could you post a dyno graph.

Kevin
Old May 23, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aliengotpsi
9's will come soon enough...

I ran my tires @ 22-18psi azenis
I ran the quartermaster clutch and I would slip it alot so I didnt Break Stuff but never got any good 60-foots I was Launching At 7,000Rpms I did no Lift Shift and only missed 2 times with my old TRE Trans!

Im gonna run 26'' Hoosiers on some kosie K1 16'' Wheels

What rpm did you feel was best for launching? Could you post a dyno graph.

Kevin

i have no clue what rpm is best to launch at. i need to focus on that a lot next time out. i was launching at 6500rpm. and i just sit on the rev limiter spinning once i start moving. maybe i need to work the clutch a little more and let it slip some and not be so quick with it. thats what i will try next.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

i have no clue what rpm is best to launch at. i need to focus on that a lot next time out. i was launching at 6500rpm. and i just sit on the rev limiter spinning once i start moving. maybe i need to work the clutch a little more and let it slip some and not be so quick with it. thats what i will try next.

Dan, you need to start out low on the 2step and work your way up where it barely hazes the tires. Gonna be tuff to do since at your power level drag radials are killing you right now. If they were the hoosier drag radials you may have better luck, But those nittos are going to fight you.
I'm on a stroker so my 2step is down to 5800rpm, and I cut a 1.54 60ft on the hoosier qtp slicks. Not great, but it got me my 9second slip. If I tried to launch with the 2step anything above 5900rpm it would just blow the tires away. I personally think I have a VCU issue. Won't know till I pull the t-case out and look at the vcu.

Also, try preloading the clutch using the ebrake. This way it doesn't hit the tires so hard since the drivetrain is already pre-loaded before you let her rip.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Dan, you need to start out low on the 2step and work your way up where it barely hazes the tires. Gonna be tuff to do since at your power level drag radials are killing you right now. If they were the hoosier drag radials you may have better luck, But those nittos are going to fight you.
I'm on a stroker so my 2step is down to 5800rpm, and I cut a 1.54 60ft on the hoosier qtp slicks. Not great, but it got me my 9second slip. If I tried to launch with the 2step anything above 5900rpm it would just blow the tires away. I personally think I have a VCU issue. Won't know till I pull the t-case out and look at the vcu.

Also, try preloading the clutch using the ebrake. This way it doesn't hit the tires so hard since the drivetrain is already pre-loaded before you let her rip.

i will lower the 2 step and start at 5500rpm. ill go easy on the clutch trying to let it slip some. i need to learn this stuff. doing the same thing over and over is not teaching me anything other then how to be a good mechanic. ill try what your/you guys are recommending.

when i bought the nitto 555r's i did no research on them. i liked them because of there D/R stamp and the 245/45 size. i like to use a tall tire at the track.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

The problem with drag radials such as the nittos is they have no sidewall flex whatsoever. They LOOOVE to break axles, diffs, ect. The hoosier qtp slicks will take about 40% of the shock load out of the drivetrain since they have very soft sidewalls and will flex.

I've never actually broke anything the 1st 20 feet, it's always been about 40-60 feet out where it breaks stuff. Hoosiers has saved me more times then I can think of.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

The problem with drag radials such as the nittos is they have no sidewall flex whatsoever. They LOOOVE to break axles, diffs, ect. The hoosier qtp slicks will take about 40% of the shock load out of the drivetrain since they have very soft sidewalls and will flex.

I've never actually broke anything the 1st 20 feet, it's always been about 40-60 feet out where it breaks stuff. Hoosiers has saved me more times then I can think of.

i will be using the QTP's also on the rx-7 rims once i get my goals. if i keep destroying things then ill give it up but im not gonna let this 1st ever brake down at the track get the best of me.

Quick Reply: evodan2004's attempt at 9s take 1... failed