Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

StreetThisEVO at the 2013 IDRC Buschur Event

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
StreetThisEVO at the 2013 IDRC Buschur Event

Well the 2013 Buschur Racing IDRC sport compact shootout weekend is finally over. What a long long weekend and I am so glad to be sitting here on my couch doing nothing ha!

I left for Buschur Racing first thing on Thursday morning. Spent most of the day changing some of the wiring under my dash. With the change to AEM EMS v2 I had to re-wire the three relays that power my electric water pump, fan, and secondary fuel pump. There was a lot going on that day so there wasn't much time to get the car running but we rolled it on the dyno for the night.

Friday morning David spent some time getting the new AEM EMS adjusted for the new setup while jumping between working on the Bad Bish and his new 1g project. We had some issues starting the car when cold and spent a TON of time messing around with it. By the end of the day the car was rolling on the dyno and making good power. We ended up calling it quits with 811 whp @ 46 psi on an easy tune. I was pretty excited needless to say! The most the car ever made last year on a third gear pull was 703 whp on the 3586.

Saturday morning we attempt to start the car cold. Nothing...nothing...and nothing. I drained all the E98 out of the tank and put straight 93 octane pump gas in the tank in hopes that it would start on pump. Still nothing... I pulled the plugs and cop ignition a million times it seemed like. Long story short we spent hours messing around with the car. I had a few helpful individuals who were nice enough to lend a hand. After 5 hours of messing with it we made the call to switch fuel injectors out for a brand new set of FIC 2150's. With our fingers crossed we gave it a try and to our luck the car fired right up! I drained all the pump out and threw some fresh E98 back in her. The car went back on the dyno later that day just to check a few things over. Power was right were it was the day before so we called it a day and loaded her up on the trailer. Later that night we detailed the car and got her looking nice and clean

Sunday we got to the track right when they opened and got busy getting the car prepped to run.

1st pass - 9.7 @ 161 mph blowing the tires off (1.88 sixty) and bogged second.

2nd pass - 9.3 @ 160 mph still blowing the tires off but managed a better sixty (1.6x) and had a slight bog on the 2nd gear shift.

3rd pass - 9.9 @ 115 mph car hooked solid (1.51 sixty) but somehow I totally missed the shifter on the 3rd-4th gear shift Car coasted the rest of the way. Looking at the time slip the car went 6.05 @ 120.xx in the 1/8th. If I had hit 4th gear I'd imagine the 1/8th would have been a solid 5.9 @ 123-124 mph. This pass 'might' have been that 8 second pass I've been looking for.

4th pass - 10.0 @ 155 car spun so hard I got locked out of second and had to wait for tire spin to slow to shift to 2nd gear.

5th pass - I had a by run and didn't run the car hard.

6th pass - My rear driver side axle let loose and caused the car to kick sideways and I crossed the center line. Needless to say this put an end to my day.

I ended up making it to the semi finals of the AWD class before the axle broke. We got the car back to the trailer and put it up on jacks to take a look at it. Sure as **** it was the axle. I had this happen about 3 years ago to the same axle. I will most likely just buy another used axle and rock that. The DSS stage 5 axle kit is like $1800 and a little out of my price range. I need to be able to control the car better out of the hole. Blowing tires off just isn't productive haha. I need to get my sixty's back into the low 1.4 range. Maybe a speed based boost controller is something I need to look into?? It be nice to launch the car like a 500 whp car and have it hit hard once into 2nd gear.

Overall I am still very pleased with how everything came out. Due to a delay on a few parts the car was put together last minute. But most of the large issued have been addressed. It is never easy and can be very tough to the deal with at times. The little time I was able to spend running the car on Sunday makes it all worth it. Over the next few weeks I am going to make some changes and will clean a few things up. I hope to hit the track very soon again. Boost and the tune was pretty conservative and there should be a good amount of room to improve upon.

David Buschur thank you very much for all of your hospitality and expert advice. The car runs like a rapped ape and I have no doubt that we will get her into the 8's soon enough. I'd also like to thank Carlos at Tirado Custom Coatings for taking care of all of my parts. My engine bay looks amazing and I couldn't be happier! Robert at Forced Performance makes some badass turbochargers. This turbo is kick *** people! FP ftw And finally I'd like to thank my good friends and family (Jonathan, Jared, and Derek) for all of your help! You guys rock thank you very much!!

Here are a few pics/vids to recap the weekend. I'll update the thread with more as I get them.

Stay tuned guys.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best engine bay pic of an evo. car sounds good man.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck this season with the new setup!
Old May 27, 2013, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice setup, looks clean!
Old May 28, 2013, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
That 3rd pass your car was moving i thought that you had that 8 sec pass till you missed the shift. Your Car does look good.
Old May 28, 2013, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Car looked great as always Chris! Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat much this weekend. I was in the stands when you made the pass the axle broke. I was in shock when that happened man, but great driving The car will go 8s this year I know it. The pass where we raced each other, do you have the pass on video from the outside? I'm just curious to see if there are other videos out there. I only have that pass on one camera. See you in August man!
Old May 28, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome write up Chris thanks for the details and vids!

HOLY SHIET that looked scary when the axle snapped glad you got it under control good driving

The car is obviously making a ton of power and just your normal 60ft away from your 8sec pass.

I'm curious to hear what happened to the injectors???
Old May 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine bay looks awesome Chris! I imagine there was a bit of butt puckerage when the rear axle broke, glad you kept it under control!
Old May 28, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats Chris, she's a beast. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the axle. Swap a new one in, dial in the 60ft and grab yourself that well deserved 8.9 slip. Good luck!
Old May 28, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GR8WHITE RS
best engine bay pic of an evo. car sounds good man.
Thank you! I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out.

Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
Good luck this season with the new setup!

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
nice setup, looks clean!
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
That 3rd pass your car was moving i thought that you had that 8 sec pass till you missed the shift. Your Car does look good.
Ya it would have been close for sure. It was a stupid honest mistake haha. I can't remember the last time I've missed a gear like that. I may get a pair of driving gloves for next time out.

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
Car looked great as always Chris! Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat much this weekend. I was in the stands when you made the pass the axle broke. I was in shock when that happened man, but great driving The car will go 8s this year I know it. The pass where we raced each other, do you have the pass on video from the outside? I'm just curious to see if there are other videos out there. I only have that pass on one camera. See you in August man!
I may have one. I'll check and let you know.

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Awesome write up Chris thanks for the details and vids!

HOLY SHIET that looked scary when the axle snapped glad you got it under control good driving

The car is obviously making a ton of power and just your normal 60ft away from your 8sec pass.

I'm curious to hear what happened to the injectors???
I used to pull low 1.4's all day long. WTF happened to me haha.

I'll get her fixed and get right back out there.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Engine bay looks awesome Chris! I imagine there was a bit of butt puckerage when the rear axle broke, glad you kept it under control!
Yeah me too. All my mad go kart skills paid off lol.

Originally Posted by RyuEvoIX
Congrats Chris, she's a beast. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the axle. Swap a new one in, dial in the 60ft and grab yourself that well deserved 8.9 slip. Good luck!
Thanks man. I'm looking for a used one as we speak
Old May 29, 2013, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want your valve cover! lol. That axle braking..... scary stuff to watch I can't imagine what that would be like in car. Beast of a car for sure.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
great story and awesome pics. love the vids too. glad you kept that beast under control. keep it up man and best of luck
Old May 29, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
great story and awesome pics. love the vids too. glad you kept that beast under control. keep it up man and best of luck
Thanks!

I can't wait to get it back out again for another try.

Originally Posted by MechTech
I want your valve cover! lol. That axle braking..... scary stuff to watch I can't imagine what that would be like in car. Beast of a car for sure.
I may sell it once I do my next one in carbon fiber hydro-dip