Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 Timing Maps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by poyz
Here's my E85 timing map.

Evo 9
FIC 1050
Walbro 255L/h
LICP
Tomei dump pipe & front pipe
HKS Hi Power Silent cat back

Comments/Suggestions welcome...
Its got quite a bit more advance than my most recent timing map. My car doesn't seem to show the same gains with timing as other Evo 9s, but your map looks more aggressive than even GST Motorsports typical Evo 9 stock turbo map.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Its got quite a bit more advance than my most recent timing map. My car doesn't seem to show the same gains with timing as other Evo 9s, but your map looks more aggressive than even GST Motorsports typical Evo 9 stock turbo map.
Thanks for the feedback.

It's only running 25 psi and tapers back to 20psi.

I've tried running more boost but I'm thinking there is a restriction. Perhaps the exhaust or the stock airbox.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by poyz
Thanks for the feedback.

It's only running 25 psi and tapers back to 20psi.

I've tried running more boost but I'm thinking there is a restriction. Perhaps the exhaust or the stock airbox.
Even in the cells that correspond roughly to those boost levels, the timing is still pretty high. Even if there is no knock, you could well be pounding the main bearings and wrist pin bushings. How did you pick these timing values?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred
Even in the cells that correspond roughly to those boost levels, the timing is still pretty high. Even if there is no knock, you could well be pounding the main bearings and wrist pin bushings. How did you pick these timing values?
Now here's the weird thing, if I try to take timing away I see knock.

It was tuned by a local tuner about a year ago, I've just migrated to V7 and smoothed/interpolated out the map.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine. Mods in sig.
Name:  Screenshot2010-02-22at75540PM.png
Views: 0
Size:  149.1 KB
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by esevo
This is a Timing map that is being used in a customers car in phoenix. I couldn't believe it, when I got this much timing in the car with no knock. Car ran great at 620 + whp!

Mods

1450CC
Bosch 44
Full race T3
HTA3582
30 psi
2.4L
Speed Density conversion

I can't believe that is not past MBT in at least some areas. E85 is the reason you got that much timing without knock. You need to know how to tune it before jumping into it. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying. That is crazy timing for that turbo and boost level.

I agree with Aaron too, but the way you posted a log showing how there is no knock with that much timing makes me think you really don't understand what MBT is.

Last edited by Chris Moore; Feb 22, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

That's strange. Not much more to say except that hopefully the person who tuned your car is aware that E85 requires a different tuning strategy than gasoline.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Mine. Mods in sig.
You're not going over 300 load with that setup? It also seems a little rich for E85, unless that's your pump fuel map.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I had posted a V7 map earlier in this thread and was asked if it had any knock, to which I responded no. Well, I was wrong...I'm not sure if it's the winter blend or just too aggressive (probably both). So I turned it down a notch for safety, not a whole lot, but just enough so I don't get those few counts of knock. I was only seeing 2-3 randomly, but it was enough for me to do something about it. That SES light flashing is pretty annoying . Thank you Tephra
Attached Thumbnails E85 Timing Maps-new-alt-map.png  
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:42 AM

So I'm converting to E85 this week and I was playing around with my fuel maps. Without logging I understand its hard to determine what needs to be changed but I leaned it out a bit and was wondering if it was good as a starting point. Or should I wait till I am actually logging E85 and then make the changes. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Name:  AFR.png
Views: 0
Size:  56.1 KB

Mods:
Fuel Pump
head studs
ported exhaust mani
Cone filter
3" tbe w/ test pipe
LICP
ebay IC
Metal DV

Last edited by ValdezeEvo; Apr 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ValdezeEvo
So I'm converting to E85 this week and I was playing around with my fuel maps. Without logging I understand its hard to determine what needs to be changed but I leaned it out a bit and was wondering if it was good as a starting point. Or should I wait till I am actually logging E85 and then make the changes. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
E85 is very forgiving in terms of AFR, but I still wouldn't go WOT without tuning AFR. With that said, my personal observations on my Evo are that for AFRs richer than about 11.5:1, I tend to observe mild knock across the entire rpm range (peak of 3-4 knock counts at mid rpms), and at AFRs leaner than about 13.0:1, I would get breakup on spool and at high load on the stock ignition.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What AFRs is everyone running at WOT?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaymin
What AFRs is everyone running at WOT?

right around 12:1, but always lower if anything and never really any higher WOT
Old May 7, 2010, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noob question: when finding MBT, how much will HP increase with each degree of timing added once your at or near MBT?

For instance, if you gain 15 hp with 1 degree added, then you only gain 5 hp by adding one more degree, are you at MBT?
Old May 8, 2010, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speifer
Noob question: when finding MBT, how much will HP increase with each degree of timing added once your at or near MBT?

For instance, if you gain 15 hp with 1 degree added, then you only gain 5 hp by adding one more degree, are you at MBT?
not bad logic imo. although mtbt is termed by torque, measuring torque will have more resolution than hp. you really need a dyno to measure right upto mtbt but for *** tuning your idea of dimishing gains seems like a good indicator to me.

Quick Reply: E85 Timing Maps