Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Injector "gunk" and E-85

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Evos have metal fuel tanks.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Evos have metal fuel tanks.

Thank you all for the help.........I have just ordered my GruppeS solenoid & the map switch from Burshur..........Peace
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now thats thinking with your dipstick!!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Now thats thinking with your dipstick!!
LoL =)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 24, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've read through everything in this thread thus far and I can only conclude that I'll just have to try each of the two E85 gas stations in Sierra Vista to see if anything is noticed. I just can't "not" look into the benefits that the fuel offers.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I presume you are in Sierra Vista, AZ? Would that be at Fort Hauchuca?

Make the switch. If your car starts running poorly for some reason that simply can't be explained any other way, then just switch back to gasoline and see if it clears up.

I've had zero problems since switching to E85 a year and half ago. I have never been back on gasoline since.

On my EVO, WHP increased by 76 and torque by 132 when I 'upgraded' to E85.

YMMV!

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Jan 7, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

My friend had a 1995 GSX and he switched to e-85. After clogging up 3-4 fuel filters in about 1000 miles his car starting to run like crap. I pulled his injectors and there was SOOOO much gunk in the intake manifold and head and on the tips of the injectors. Once we got everything taken apart and cleaned out, the car wouldn't start. He was getting voltage to his injectors but they weren't opening. I had to put alligator clips straight on the injectors and tap them on the battery to get the solenoid to break loose. I wasn't too impressed with e-85 and after that he switched injectors and went back to 93.

After ALL that I'm still going to give e-85 a shot. I'm tuned for 93 but I've been supplementing a full tank of 93 with 2 gallons of e-85 to start the cleanup process. I have a full fuel lab fuel system with the full blown dual walbro setup. I'm going to run the id2000's because they have the 7 micron filter in the injector. I'll also get the 40 micron ss fuel lab filter (currently running 10 micron paper). I have a electric fuel pressure gauge mounted in-cab to monitor if my fuel filter starts to get clogged. I'll keep an eye on the injectors every 4-5 tanks to see if I need to clean out the fuel system with 93 or fuel system cleaner.

Also, as long as e-85 is in the tank, there will be a serving of this:

http://www.advancedfuelinjection.net..._Addative.html

Hopefully there won't be any problems but when I get tuned on my next setup I will have an e-85 and a 93 octane tune just in case the e-85 doesn't work out.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7k miles since switched to e85 replace fuel filter @ 2k miles after switching to e85 . replace fuel rail at 4k miles 850cc fic no injector gunk and crap in manifold.. clean.............
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Pulled my DW1000 injectors after 2K miles and had black build up on 2 of 4. Running E85 out of San Jose.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
After ALL that I'm still going to give e-85 a shot. I'm tuned for 93 but I've been supplementing a full tank of 93 with 2 gallons of e-85 to start the cleanup process. I have a full fuel lab fuel system with the full blown dual walbro setup. I'm going to run the id2000's because they have the 7 micron filter in the injector. I'll also get the 40 micron ss fuel lab filter (currently running 10 micron paper). I have a electric fuel pressure gauge mounted in-cab to monitor if my fuel filter starts to get clogged. I'll keep an eye on the injectors every 4-5 tanks to see if I need to clean out the fuel system with 93 or fuel system cleaner.

Paper filters aren't good for Ethanol. Keep that in mind.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought i would add to the thread with what i found. I have my injectors out as im switching intake manifolds ATM. I have Blue Max 1450cc injectors that i have been running for the past 6-7K miles on nothing but E85 and they were gunked with this crap pretty badly. The car hadnt been running funny or going lean or anything so i think i caught it in time. Im having them cleaned professionally at a local Diesel Injection that does injector cleaning. This has happend to 2 other cars that i tune and then now my car.. Only the other cars got to where i was seeing a abnormal increase in INJ Duty so that was why we pulled them to check them.... Im wondering if its the station we are using or just a E85 problem in general....

I know there has been A LOT of talk about it but has anyone found a sure way to keep the injectors from gunking up with this crap or why there doing it so i dont have to pull the injectors every month or every few fill ups to check them... and when there gunked up pay 100$ each time to have them cleaned?? Any informative information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

The other thread in this section talked about adding a catch can to help with this issue. The theory is that the gunk is a mixture of blow by oil and E85 and that a catch can can prevent them from building up like that.

It is really weird though. Locally there are a few with the gunk and others with no gunk. Some of the non catch canned cars are clean, so it's hard to determine for sure what this is. If it's not station specific, not injector specific, then could it be what oil you are using? I have no idea, but I'd like to figure it out as well. I have about 700 miles on E85 and plan to pull the injectors before my touch up tune.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

There are so many ifs.. I wish someone could just figure it out already... Be a lot easier that way

I'm going to do some research and make some calls and see what i can come up with. Ive got too much $ in my engine to have a gunked up injector blow it!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well after many calls to many places the best we could come up with is run some regular pump gas through ur car every so often to keep the build up from.... building up!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Colt4g63
Well after many calls to many places the best we could come up with is run some regular pump gas through ur car every so often to keep the build up from.... building up!
I add a can of seafoam in my fuel tank every oil change.

Quick Reply: Injector "gunk" and E-85