Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

CES eth content sensor installed, flex fuel patch coming soon

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 07:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
CES eth content sensor installed, flex fuel patch coming soon

I finally got around to installing my ethanol content sensor and CES ethanol content display. It took three evenings, but it turned out really well. The F-V converter is mounted behind the glove box, and the display rests freely in the glove box. I just have to open the glove box to see the display. Nice stealth installation.

I've also got the analog output wired into ADC_0F, so everything is in place to make use of a flex fuel patch. As soon as tephra releases an 88590715 for testing, I'll begin work on a flex fuel patch for that ROM (and then other v7 ROMs as requested). If anyone wants to use the flex fuel patch, you'll need to do two things:

1) You'll need to have an ethanol content system that has a 0-5 V analog output. Wire the analog output into ADC_0F.

2) Make sure your ethanol content analyzer is wired into an IG1 power source. This is needed so that the analyzer continues to function while the engine is starting. Fuses 1-4 in the cabin fuse box are all IG1. I used a mini-add a circuit from Autozone to tap into fuse #4.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Just wanted to mention that the E85 in my area is 75% ethanol according to my ethanol content analyzer. Accounting for approx 5% denaturing of the ethanol, it seems that my local distributor is targeting about 80% denatured ethanol content when they do their mixing with gasoline.

I also want to thank merkzu for sporting me the freq to voltage converter. :-)

Last edited by mrfred; May 15, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woot!!!
Old May 15, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Will the Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer do the same thing as the CES unit?
Old May 15, 2009, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by skiracer
Will the Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer do the same thing as the CES unit?
Yes, there are two analog outs, one for ethanol content, and one for fuel temperature. Wire up the ethanol content analog out to ADC_0F (pin 64 on an Evo 9), make sure the power supply to the Zeitronix ECA is IG1, and you'll be ready for the flex fuel patch when I get it done.

Also, if you are not using a tephra ROM, ADC_0F can be read on EvoScan with MUT request ID "83". The scaling is 100*x/255 to get ethanol content in percent. I'd have to look at one of tephra's ROMs to see what request ID he's using for his ROMs.

Last edited by mrfred; May 15, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome news!
Old May 29, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Can you explain what exactly the patch will do? Does this tie Ethanol % into the vehical tune? That would be awesome.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
Can you explain what exactly the patch will do? Does this tie Ethanol % into the vehical tune? That would be awesome.
Yes, it will tie the eth% into the tune. The way it will work is that there will be a set of 100% gasoline maps and a set of maximum ethanol content maps. There will be interpolation tables based on ethanol content that will interpolate between the two tunes. The interpolation line will be adjustable.

I'm just waiting for tephra to release an 88590015 v7 ROM, and I will get started with the patch.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Omg! Mrfred ftw!1!!
Old May 29, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Yes, it will tie the eth% into the tune. The way it will work is that there will be a set of 100% gasoline maps and a set of maximum ethanol content maps. There will be interpolation tables based on ethanol content that will interpolate between the two tunes. The interpolation line will be adjustable.

I'm just waiting for tephra to release an 88590015 v7 ROM, and I will get started with the patch.
Can't wait to for this! You rock mrfred! I'm a bit rusty, but I take it the intention is to instead use the ethanol content output wire to replace the tephramod switch which would normally be connected to the ADC_0F pin on the ECU, correct?

May I suggest something? It might be a better idea to utilize an existing hi/lo map tune by creating additional tables asking what the e% content is of both maps, ie low map for gas could be 10% and e85 could be 85% or if the ECA was installed during tuning those numbers can be used for more accurate results. Then depending on the current readout of the ECA, the interpolation will work off either between 0-10% for the lo map, 10-85% for lo to high map, or 85-100% for the hi map. This way existing tunes can be utilized without needing to convert an entire map over to what amounts to be e0 and e100 maps which I don't think can be done unless one knows what e% it was tuned on to begin with.

Last edited by silex; May 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by silex
Can't wait to for this! You rock mrfred!

May I suggest something? It might be a better idea to utilize an existing hi/lo map tune by creating additional tables asking what the e% content is of both maps, ie low map for gas could be 10% and e85 could be 85% or if the ECA was installed during tuning those numbers can be used for more accurate results. Then depending on the current readout of the ECA, the interpolation will work off either between 0-10% for the lo map, 10-85% for lo to high map, or 85-100% for the hi map. This way existing tunes can be utilized without needing to convert an entire map over to what amounts to be e0 and e100 maps.
The high/low maps will be able to represent any amount of ethanol that the user desires, so what you suggested is pretty much how it will work. For instance, I'm consistently getting about 75% eth from my e85 filling station, so my high eth map will be setup for this ethanol content. Even though WA and OR gasoline filling stations now all use about 10% eth, I'll likely keep my low eth map tuned to 0% eth to allow for situations where I road trip to a state where ethanol is not required in gasoline.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

Can I father your children mrfred?
Old May 29, 2009, 11:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Can I father your children mrfred?
Only if you're secretly Jessica Biel. (Just watched "Next" a few nights ago.) A beer or two when I visit the Bay Area will do otherwise. :-)
Old May 29, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

This would truely be one of the most amazing advances I've seen in the Evo world. Best of luck with the patch! Don't forget about us Evo X guys someday too! Having the capability to fill up on wither fuel at anytime would be crazy.

Old May 29, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

You think getting fuel from a boating area might have pump gas with no ethanol in it? From my understanding, marine engines do not like ethanol mixed into it.

Quick Reply: CES eth content sensor installed, flex fuel patch coming soon