Notices
ECU Flash

MIVEC dyno tuned!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, temp is a big factor. In Norcal temps range from 60-80 typically. I agree that in that with high heat the likelihood of knock is increased, and boost/tuning would have to be adjusted accordingly.

For open track users with this state of tune I advise a mix of 100 octane as a safety measure.

I also check and read spark plugs as the final measure of a tune both on the dyno and in real world conditions.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:00 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys are tripping

Its not like he's just going to crank up the boost to hit a high whp number and then call it a day

All tuners log boost, af ratio, knock, etc. If those all weren't in order, he obviously wouldn't have done the tune

And thats why I like the speed element guys. They tune their shop/personal cars in the same manner as they would a customer (if not more conservative for customers). So I dont think they are in the business of blowing up their own cars

Last edited by UCB; Jul 17, 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UCB
...All tuners log boost, af ratio, knock, etc. ...
That is unfortunately not a true statement. All tuners do not take all the necessary steps to log even the handful of items listed above.

Nice numbers, EFI. Makes me green with envy to see what the IX can do. But then again, I have slightly less stuff to learn in tuning my VIII (small consolation).

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Jul 17, 2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by EFIxMR
I do not own a dyno, and this testing came out of pocket. This is a stock setup vs common bolt ons ($1500 worth) with a custom tuned map tailored to these mods. I do not have infinite resources to just dyno test and tune one part at a time.
Thank you for the reply. Your results are impressive. Not to knock what you have done, but there appears to be no way to quantify the increase in power as a result of the MIVEC changes you have made.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:09 PM

I spent a day playing with MIVEC and EcuFlash on a IX on Friday. It put down 247HP/221TQ on our Dyno Dynamics when it came in. It had a AEM Intake and turbo-back exhaust. With the stock tune in it, the car didn't run overly rich(except from 7000-7500), it was actually leaner than the final tune. I also actually got some knock when I did some back-to-back hot pulls with the stock tune(it was around 100 degrees in the dyno room). With the exhaust on it, we were seeing about a pound more boost than what I had seen on a stock Evo IX previously. We put an MBC on it and tuned at 22psi, it ended up making 290HP/265TQ with no knock.

The biggest MIVEC specific gains over the stock map were found in the lower RPM when it was not yet to full boost. I did some cleaning up throughout the midrange to the MIVEC and got some small gains here and there, but nothing spectactular. You can definately lose a lot of power by messing with the MIVEC maps though. The gains are pretty subtle across the RPM range and I wouldn't imagine trying to look for big gains on the street using a butt dyno or logging acceleration. Even on a dyno, when you are doing things like cam gear tuning or MIVEC/K-Series VTEC tuning, you need make sure that everything is exactly the same from run to run as far as the environment and time between runs.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EFIxMR
They were changed out as a precaution. Rather than take someone elses word that the EVO IX stock pump flows more, we prefer to stick with a proven fuel pump since the cost on the pump is affordable.
They are different part numbers and higher flow on the IX, FACT.

Personally I still opt for gss342 whenever possible.

As far as high boost is concerned, it is relative to cylinder pressure and ignition timing also. You can run high boost and conservative timing or conservative boost and aggressive timing but not high boost with aggressive timing and 91 oct.

Sounds like 26psi spike with lower timing with a ramp up in ignition timing and a ramping retardation of MIVEC timing as the rpms increased.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jul 17, 2006 at 09:23 PM.