Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Tim's Evo 9 SE build. From Stock to 2.2themoon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Tim's Evo 9 SE build. From Stock to 2.2themoon

I've been into cars my entire life and owned a fox body mustang and a 600whp 1998 Cobra with a Vortech T trim that sounded like it crushed rocks. The Mustangs were fun but limited in what they could do at that time. The Cobra pulled well and went 11.8ish @ 132 on street tires in the 1/4 mile but it was really just for straight line. It wasn't set up for drag either.

I had BBS RK 18" wheels and a Tubular front K member but the chassis was dated and didn't handle well. After the fragile 4.6 broke twice I was done and threw in the towel for 4-5 yrs and drove regular cars. A MoTec probably would've prevented that but they were 5-10K at that time so I was left with the stock ecu that didn't know what boost was .

I also owned a few street bikes and even built a 2006 GSXR 1000 street fighter. 150whp at the tire was great. They had all the power delivery and reliability. You could ride as hard as you could and the engine's just asked for more. Growing older and the risk of being hit by someone updating their Facebook I decided it was time for another fast car and get away from motorcycles.

Looking around I checked out 240's, corvette's,supra's and then the Evo. The STI was cut from the list because of engine issues. The 240's were going to take a lot of money to be fast and they didn't hold their value well. The corvette deal I was worried the interior would fall apart and didn't want to be another "vette" guy. I've driven a few 800-1300whp Supra's and they make amazing power but lack the day to day fun factor of a small turbo car . Plus, I was interested in going to the road course and aside from cowboy Leh Keen (GSC supra) no one had really done it. This left the Evo as the final choice. Video for Reference :45 on

Researching the Evo platform I was amazed at the car development from the Rally events over the years and how strong the drivetrain was. I was also interested in the fact that it holds its value so well. The search begun and I struck gold shortly thereafter. A local guy had bought a 2006 SE from a dealership in GA and driven it down. It had one previous owner and lived in GA from what the car fax came back with IIRC. The new owner drove it for a year and added BC coilovers and a drop in filter.

With 69K on the clock the original clutch gave out and and 5th gear had the common grind. Faced with changing the clutch and refreshing the trans he listed it for sale. It was listed for 6-7 months and the owner was honest and upfront with the slipping clutch over 15psi. I presume this scared off a number of people .
My Brother Jay Meagher has been around cars and owns Real Street Performance so we went and looked at it. All the vin tags were in place and the car was never in an accident. He is pretty sharp and can put the story together quickly with cars. A ten min test drive sealed the deal. I purchased the car for 20K in July of 2012. This is actually the first picture I took of the car on July 5th 2012 the day after I bought it. Note the size of the tree..

et.com/albums/b495/tim_meagher1/tim_evo_2_zpsw9uzpohq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

After putting 500 miles on the Comp stage 2 clutch and breaking in the trans/disk It was time to get on it. The factory turbo comes on quickly (maybe too quick) and with the short gearing I was shifting all the time . With the factory MAF tune it was also jerky at times with on/off throttle. It was still pretty fun for a daily driver. MPG was 20-25 city/hwy

July 27th 2012
I went to a local time attack style auto x where you could get 3 hot laps in. I may have lookedlike Ray Charles hunting cones but I was hooked! I quickly improved and had FTD at the second event. I was hooked, It was time for more. I raised the car up so the suspension could function properly and watched the series of video's by R3compile "How to tune an evo" Great series and I'd recommend most watch it.

Working at Real Street I have access to a dyno and spent some time with Jay( he's tuned dozens of cars on AEM,Haltech and MoTec) and we both worked thru ecuflash/evoscan for the first time. It wasn't that hard and it was the only car he's worked with. He still preferred a standalone but the stock ecu would work for the time being.

Baseline was 250/250 on the dynojet on August 1st 2012 19psi and falling.
August 3rd 2012

Added Full Tomei Ti Exhaust including 02 housing and DP and lost 50lbs and picked up close to 50WHP/50tq on the same stock tune.Around this time a Walbro 255 went in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_uj...ature=youtu.be

Added an ETS LICP and picked up 15/15 on the same tune. It was around 310-320 but needed some fine tuning. Added a 18PSI Forge actuator at that time. I think it made 330ish Ran it like this for a month. Fell in love with the Tomei system. Really nice system that I would purchase again tomorrow if need be.

After being pulled over a few times I decided to take the wing off. Best decision ever IMO. Have not been pulled over since. Most cops just think its a normal car with a louder exhaust.

Added ETS 3.5" Front mount and short route piping. This also required a smaller Civic battery with an EFI battery tray. Ended up moving the BOV location so some welding was done.

A few months later the tune was adjusted and made 350/350 around 25-26psi on pump gas. Car ran good but the on/off Jerkiness with the MAF was annoying. Added the GM IAT and spoolin up SD harness and turned the car back down to wastegate pressure. Stumbled thru the trickery of SD tuning and got the car back to 350/350. Car ran well except it had to warm up for a few minutes before leaving. Thanks again to Tephra, Mrfred,R3compile,JCbanks and everyone else for making open source tuning possible . Mileage was still 20-25mpg
Added a Ralliart 76C (168*) Thermostat . Normal temps went from 190 to 178-180.
Months later it was time to go to my first track day . Sebring international raceway is 2 hrs from Orlando so the car was retuned on racegas at 350/350 (heatsoak, and keep knock away) and carbotech xp8 pads were added along with a set of MR wheels with Rs-3 tires.Added AMS pan for added capacity and help with oil control. Bigger rear sway bar was put on. Braided brake lines were added also. Sidenote, wear eye protection when drilling anything..

Had a Blast with Nasa and turned some 2:50's . Brakes and everything worked well and I think it went 125mph between turns 16 and 17.
Went to a few more auto x events and the drag strip. At full weight and 350/350 it went 12.4@113 near the limiter in 4th IIRC. It was still a fun car and got the same 20-25mpg around town beating on it.

Added an ACD flash and restacked the Rear diff plates. I understand why mitsubishi purposely stacked the plates wrong, the car went from an understeering pig to being able to turn in/out much better. It would chatter the tires at low speed turns and now you know its back there working. The ACD flash also tightened up the way the car modulated the power. It was more like a rear wheel drive car now.

Did a few track days at The Firm in Stark, FL. That is a tight short course that murders brakes. I "had" to run down a new 911 and when I passed him I was greeted with a pedal that went to the floor. Sidenote, my most important rule in life is "Don't crash" . I pumped it back up and slid the car into the corner to scrub off speed. From that day forward I had brake ducts installed and tap the pedal on straights on track days.

Time went on.. Enjoyed driving the car but wanted to change the gear ratios and have more of a relaxed ride and less of the constant shifting. I bought one of the last three 2005 Evo 8 transmissions in the country and had the tech go thru and change to the 4.11FD and a few other things so it would shift nice. I had a TRE 4th gear cooling plate put on as well. An ACT 6 puck sprung was added. Light pedal and easy to drive.
July 30th 2014 84891 mileage

The car was nicer to drive but felt much slower. I knew the 10% taller gearing would have some effect but after going to the drag strip it was a real eye opener. Previous runs at 350/350 were 12.4@113, now they were 12.9@107. Looking back I would not add the 4.11 , just the evo 8 gearing and change tire size as needed. A tall wheel/tire for the road course and a near stock 25.3" set for the street/strip. Live and learn! Mileage got a little better to 21/26. **edit, I would still add the 4.11 with a stroker engine with 450+ torque, car drives righteous***

A short time later ID1300's and E85 were added. It made 400/400 at 30psi and was better to drive but still lacked the fun factor of the stock 4.53 Final drive. It would still drift out of corners in 1st and 2nd but past that it wasn't really happening. It was time to turn it up a notch . After looking at turbo kits and thinking about the fun factor I went with a stock frame turbo. Here are a few reasons why I chose a stock frame turbo over a T3 kit with a small turbo.
#1 Bolt on
#2 highly unlikely the manifold will crack
#3 Fast spool. The OEM twinscroll makes the car have good low end torque and helps spool up
#4 It seems like most T3/T4 kits change the exhaust note to raspy/poor. Most likely the way the air flows out of the tubes vs manifold. My car sounds so good ( at least to me) that I didn't want to risk that.
#5 Simple

After looking at dyno charts for a few days it was narrowed down to Forced Performance. They've been at it along time and time after time develop turbo's that deliver good power. Now the choice was between the Green, Red and Black. The Green could make 500whp but you can tell its a small turbo that is running out of steam/power is falling after the spike. The Red seemed to have a broader curve but still spool up well. The Black made good power on the dyno but I was worried about transient response. I chose the Red.

I continued to research what needed to be added before the turbo arrived . The valve cover was pulled and a -10 fitting was added in place of the driver side crankcase vent. I also looked at dozens of catch cans and decided on a Saikou michi can. It was well priced and was baffled well. I ordered a 11" by 2.75" can and mounted it under a HKS Kansai Service intake box I found. It has -10 lines that go to it and then to the 4" intake tube. I was aware of the FP "smoking issues" and how critical it is to keep crankcase pressure under control. If pressure is even a little bit it can cause the oil to not drain out of the turbo and then purge out of it.

The Red and FP manifold went really easy and I made a few easy runs on low boost/e85 that night since it was too late to dyno. The turbo spooled 3-400 rpm slower then stock but at 5K it was pulling hard and didn't fall off. A few days later we put the car on the dyno and it made 430whp at 23lbs but the walbro 255 on stock wiring wasn't happy about it. The next week a walbro 450 was added and back on the rollers it made 470ish at 26-27psi . A boost a pump was added as well and then it was tuned to 28-29psi and made 500whp. This was November 14th 2014. Mileage was between 18-23 on E85 depending on how hard it was driven.

Also went to the track at 450-460 and went 11.7@119 The 4.11 Final drive doesn't leave well and the car is 3-5mph slower then a stock final drive IMO.

lanced at this level . A trip back to The Firm in DEC at 20-22psi was pretty fun.
Sidenote,I had a Tial QR bov but even with a light 6psi spring the turbo would surge a little at part throttle . You could "drive" around it but I had the stock BOV (crushed) fabbed back on and it was near perfect. It would still hold 28-29psi and drove well.

Sometime in late 2014 I went to the Daytona International speedway for some AutoX

Tried some Evo X wheels on Dec 31st 2014. Great looking wheel but heavy and didn't look right on the car. Weighed 44lbs IIRC with 245 tires, car felt slower.

A few years ago I ran my brothers Supra at the GA half mile around 800whp. My first time driving it at that level. Just make the shifts and let it eat. A few 170mph passes

Jan 2015 87K
I knew the Evo was no where near that level but I wanted to run it at the Ocala Wannagofast event to "check" it off the list. Took it up there and made two runs. I knew I didn't want to shift into 5th at 30psi and have the rods exit stage right so I kept it in 4th. Went 135 and let off , Then set the limiter to 9K and just kept it wide open. Almost 150! Pretty happy with that and that was where alot of modded cars were running. 87K miles Stock engine and stock cams. Built on a wednesday.

April 2015, The RS-3's I bought in 2012 were toast (15K of abuse, 3-4 track days) and I wanted to get some new wheels/tires. Knowing that its important to keep rotational weight down I went on the hunt for light wheels that looked good. I'm sure everyone is going to say RPF-1 but I don't like big spacers or those wheels personally. I looked at CE-28's and a few others but I always came back to Wedsport TC-105 . I was torn between going +32 17x9.5's or +35 17X9's. I didn't like the idea of rolling the fenders or anything else and I wanted to stay with a 255 tire for grip/weight/cost.

I pulled the trigger on new 17x9 +35's and Contentintal Extreme DW's . I weighed the wheels on the shipping scale and it said 15.5lbs and the tires were 23.1lbs. Total 38.6lbs. The Evo X wheels were 44 and the stock BBS with bald 235-45-17 were 40lbs. I was able to get a bigger tire, better offset and less weight. WIN. The wheels/tires also cleared everything and I only had to run a 3mm spacer in the front to clear the Brakes.The car felt quicker but that could also be the lack of money in my pocket changing the results...

Tube[/url]
End chapter 1.

Last edited by Abacus; Jul 19, 2017 at 07:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Abacus:
Is2scooby (Sep 16, 2018), SoSoEVO (Dec 3, 2018)
Old Dec 12, 2015, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
nice write up man!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Begin chapter 2..
Worked for Costco for years,one of the best jobs in retail. 500whp Daily driver with a usable trunk

May 2nd 2015 Went to Daytona international speedway for an autocross around a small track. Turned the power down and you could steer the car on throttle like a RWD car. Fun levels are high for 35bucks. Ran 26-28psi of boost. I did 8 sessions and had FTD for my class for the AM. The group also let you do a parade lap on the banks of Daytona and the infield. I may have let the car ahead of me go for a bit before doing a few 100mph blasts.

From there I went back to the shop to look over the car and one of the guys mentioned that the Street car take over was going on at the local drag strip. I knew I had zero chance of winning with an 11 sec car but wanted to again "check" it off the list. I fuel the car up with pump E85 and headed to the dragstrip 45min away. Went on the 30 mile mandatory cruise and then ran 11.7 and 11.6@119 around 28psi . Basically ran three tracks on the same day and the car never missed a beat. #streetcar
May 17th 2015 Hit 90K miles coming back from Tampa to Orlando

The car came with BC RA coilovers and 7/8K springs. The ride was ok but stiff. Now, I'm in my 30's and picky..

I figure you only live once so make it count. That applies to owning this car as well, I choose everything carefully and still want a well balanced street car that can do just about anything. I contacted the guys at BC Racing and they set me up with a BC ER coilover with 8/8K swift springs.

The difference was about 40% better. It wasn't bad before but these were an upgrade! The ride quality went up and it handled better/dealt with bumps better.
July 16th 2015

July 2015
Now before I continue I want everyone to understand that the stock Evo Ecu with Tehpra V7 is pretty damn good and that I enjoyed it. Boost by gear,timing control,launch maps I got it.. BUT, it has its limitations as well. The guys I mentioned before are Guru's and did an amazing job but its a 2006 Ecu thats been modded to do something it wasn't designed to do. Cold start/ cold driveablity isn't great. Having full timing control while cranking, not yet. Fuel correction while WOT , No. An affordable flex fuel patch , Not really. Lots of failsafes, not so much. Datalogging speed isn't the best either.

With Jay Meagher fully trained with AEM, MoTec and Haltech I decided to go with the AEM Infinity. He was part of the Beta testing of that box and helped with its development and release. I ordered the Evo 9 PNP harness and changed the idle control motor wiring slightly and he started it.

The live tuning/data is incredible . No more looking over logs and making changes. He had the idle tuned in quickly and part throttle mivec dialed in for more power/spool. A few pulls later it was making 500-510 again. Sidenote, my car has always dynoed "dirty" , The graph is wavy and not smooth. This could be the Diff,or map sensor noise,ignition etc.. He was concerned with that and worked on the map sensor filter and things got smoother.

The car went from being good with the stock ecu at 500 , to being amazing with the Infinity. Driving the car felt soooooo much better. You could start it at any temp and just drive away. It revved smoother and was just much better. Downside, The AEM takes a second or two to "see" and confirm the crank/cam sensors so it takes a little bit longer to start. No big deal. consider it building oil pressure before it starts.

A few weeks went by and I added a COP with K series coils set up to run sequential ignition. This didn't require any other boxes just plugged it in and changed the settings from waste spark to sequential. The dyno graph and car got even smoother . Additionally, you can add/subtract timing or fuel PER cylinder. I went out and just drove around because the car ran and pulled so clean now. Kicked myself in the *** for not doing it when the RED went on.

Went to an Auto X event an hour away. Sep/August and 100* out. Ran 25-28psi, Course was pretty tight so I wasn't able to get a good time. A few power drifts and the announcer saying " good show " were enough for the day. Left and took my stand up jet ski to the lake to relax. Florida summers are brutal.
July 24th 2015

92K miles
Oct 3rd 2015, Signed up with NASA for a weekend at Sebring International Raceway. I wanted the cooling effect and power from E85 as usual so I hauled 40 gallons down with my car on the F450 rollback truck.Drove down Friday night and stayed onsite at the Chateau Elan Hotel. Had dinner and a drink and went to bed.

Met my instructor the next morning, A corvette guy that flew bombers back in the 60's-70's. He asked what car I was driving and didn't have any idea what an Evo was. Headed out on track and my instructor mentioned that he wanted me to focus on my lines and brake ahead of time for his comfort. Totally understandable since he doesn't know the car or me and there is barriers surrounding the entire track. I checked tire/brake temps after each session and adjust tire pressure as needed. The XP-8 brake pads and cooling ducts did the job nicely and I had no issues all weekend. The BC ER series worked really well soaking up the rough surface and I was totally comfortable lap after lap. Put over 150 track miles on the car that weekend. #adultdrivenhardonsundaysatthetrack

Ran the car at 25psi (450whp dynojet) both days on E85. Went thru about 40 gallons of fuel. I ran the car pretty hard and never saw over 185* coolant and 265* oil temp during the 25 min sessions. E85 has such a good cooling ability and really helps things out. Outside temperature was 85* or so. The AEM infinity worked well taking care of fuel trims as temps increased. I was getting tired on sunday and left at 1 to head home . Got back and cleaned the car up and called it a weekend with a cold beer.

Ran 135-140 on the back each lap.

After Sebring I did some intake testing . Boost leak tested before each test and runs were performed within the same week. Tested the Stock intake, ported stock with 65mm TB and Skunk 2 with 65mm TB. The results were pretty close at 500whp with stock cams on my car. The skunk 2 was worth about 20whp above 7500. With a larger turbo the skunk 2 would be even more impressive. Boost/timing were kept the same.

I've had an RSP 2.2 fully built for 6 months waiting to go in. The WannaGoFast Ocala event is in Jan 2016 so I wanted to turn the power up and shift it into 5th . Since the stock engine with stock cams was coming out I told Jay to not worry about keeping the torque down.
93K Dec 2nd/ 3rd 2015
The car has been at 500/400 for a year

So it was turned up and made 540/405 24-32psi

We also made 573whp/449wtq running 26-34ish psi

It was making power really well and there was no knock. The Infinity with a COP system can see each cylinder and trim timing per cylinder and can also add/subtract fuel if needed. I decided that was enough
for that day.

I ran the car a few times that night and it was clean and pulled really well. I decided I wanted to shoot for a stock engine/cams/red record so we strapped it to the dyno once again on Dec 3rd around 11.
The engine responded well with more boost so we kept going . The conditions were great.

589whp/456wtq running 26-36ish .

I hadn't seen a car make that power with my combo so I wanted just one more run.

615whp/477wtq ramping boost from 30-39psi was the final result.

[/URL]

All Graphs,

Everything looked good and it was turned back to 550whp/410wtq (ramping boost from 24-32psi) and I made a few street runs later that night.

94k miles
The following night (my Bday) I went to the track and ran the car at full weight/spare tire etc..

I launched on 20lbs and had to let off to get the clutch to grab again. It went 11.2@131mph with a 1.9 60ft at around 35-38lbs crossing the line around 7200-7400. This was on 255/40/17 Continental Extreme DW with the 10% taller than stock 4.11 Ratio Final Drive and 6 puck ACT clutch. With a stock FD and a twin disk I'm sure it would be much faster.
Also keep in mind I lost 7mph at 350whp when I went from the stock 4.53FD to 4.11FD and Evo 8 gearing. My car weighs 3200ish and I'm 200lbs=3400ish . I found some other fast street cars with Reds , 200-250lb less they trapped a little higher then I did. With a Factory 4.53 Final drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSeu...ature=youtu.be
The car was setup for the street and road course so the tall gear and 6 puck aren't idealfor drag racing. I was happy to pick up over 30mph from the 1/8 mile for a bolt on turbo that spools pretty close to stock.

The Evolution of my Evolution (added 4.11 , all runs are 3rd gear) From Stock , Stock turbo tuned, FP red, FP red on most of it.

Dec 6th, Removed stock engine to transfer parts over to new 2.2themoon engine
The new Engine consists of..
New Evo 9 Block STD bore
Manley Billet 94MM Crank
RSP Spec 153MM Carrillo Rods
RSP Spec Custom 10:1 CP Pistons with all the options
ACL Bearings
OEM Gaskets
Head Games "Pocket ported" Mivec Cylinder head
GSC Billet S2 Camshafts
Full GSC Valvetrain
HLA
Built by Jay Meagher of Real Street Performance

With the existing mods
AMS pan
Skunk 2 intake (unported)
65MM stock ported TB
COP K series coils set up as Sequential
IKH 24 plugs gapped at .020
Short route ETS Piping and 3.5" ETS Intercooler, V2 Lower piping
FP RED BB with MHI twin scroll stock housing
V1 Tomei 02 housing and DP. Full Tomei Ti Expreme Exhaust ( Love this system)
-10 lines/Catchcan recirculated
RSP 4" intake pipe and HKS Kansai service intake box
Relocated ACD to trunk
BC ER coilovers with 8/8K swift springs
ACD flash
25mm rear sway bar
Restacked Diff plates
Walbro 450 pump with Boost a pump
ID1300
Radium fuel rail with stock regulator
SS clutch/brake lines with Super Blue dot 4 fluid (going to motul)
Stoptech street pads, Carbotech xp-8 for track days
Cooling ducts
Girodisc front rotors
MoTec M130 PnP tuned by Real Street Performance
RSP built trans with 4.11FD and TRE cooling plate

94351 miles 12-24-15 New Engine is in and running.

Last edited by Abacus; Jul 17, 2017 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Sep 16, 2018)
Old Dec 12, 2015, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Its been a busy few weeks. Jay Meagher tuned the car and it makes about 60whp more now then the stock engine at 27psi/30psi/33psi. Its got a really nice fat powerband. Spools a few hundred rpm quicker as well. The Wannagofast event is this weekend so time has been hard to come by getting cars ready for that. A quick 30 min session tonite.. Still more tuning to do but it runs good!
E85
27psi =530whp It used to make 470whp on the stock engine

E85/C16 mix since my fuel system needs to be rewired/ get bigger injectors.
30psi= 570whp
33psi=600whp
34psi =613whp

Stock 2.0 cowboy 39psi mode vs July 2017 setup with 3" DP up to 37psi and tapered. Edited in July 2017. I ran less power until 2017.

95278 miles Jan 24th Ran 30-32ish pounds of boost and launched at 3000rpm (no boost) Traction wasn't that good. The shift to 5th ( .72 evo 8 gearing ) takes time to recover from but it still went over 150mph. If I had a taller tire and ran 4th out to 8000 it would go a bit faster. Still had a great time and the car ran perfect.

long version

Driving the 2.2 around town with the 4.11 gearing is really nice. The added torque and compression make it very responsive.

Feb 21st 2016
Drove the car 320 miles round trip to jacksonville this weekend at 70-80mph. Managed 22mpg on E85 on the way up and 25mpg on the way down on pump gas. Fwiw, it used to cruise pretty easy at 70mph and now its 75-77mph. The 4.11 Final drive and evo 8 gearing puts it around 3000 @80 so its really nice on the highway.

95,7xx miles Mid Feb 2016 Its been cold here in FL and I've had a Civic sized group 51 battery (500ca) for years. The car cranks a little slow when its below 50* so I decided to upgrade the battery. A few small changes to the EFI battery tray and a new terminal and the car cranks like a champ
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc1100.htm

Drove to the Street car takeover on 50/50 C16 and E85 and launched at 4000-4500 . With a 2.2 60ft It still went a 11.5@129 around 580whp. I didn't want to launch to hard and have the clutch slip again. I also changed to my short 245-35-17 RA-1's . They help get some of the gear back being 3% shorter then my regular wheels . I can't say I like the shorter tires and shifting more. I know the 4.11 slows the car down, but it drives really well for me.

April 29th 2016 97,547 miles The ID1300's have been great but I didn't want to keep adding C16 to extend them so I went with the ID1700's. Jay Meagher spent a few minutes dialing cold/hot start in and then a short drive to adjust the dead time and AFR correction time. The Car drives just about as good as it did with the 1300's but some more time will be spent on making them perfect. Live changes are great.

May 6th and 7th . 97,610 miles Did two pulls on the way to the track to double check that everything lined up with the 1700's. Literally a pull at 25psi on the highway and another one at 35psi. Log looked perfect so I Left at 5500 8-10psi of boost at the track. Raced a stock block 6266 car. The next day drove to the auto x and did 7-10 runs and had enough fun sliding the car for awhile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9jw...ature=youtu.be
Photoshop magic

September 18th 2016, Swapped tires and went to the Daytona Autocross event. Had a blast sliding around and had FTD for a bit. Also turned 99K a mile before turning into the speedway.

Oct 2016 Six Star PR came to visit the shop and grabbed some sick shots

Nov 2016,99623 miles. Put the car on the dyno before going to a charity breast cancer event at the local drag strip. 30-34psi

Ran a stock block 6266 evo that had went 10.7@133 earlier that day. Missed 4th on last run. in 85-90* sunshine. It wouldn't make more then 30-32psi .

RaceFab NZ oil pan added , Proven to provide oil pressure on the road course.

Celebrated turning 100K on March 7th 2017

Upgrade from Tomei 2.75" downpipe to Tomei 3" and larger 02 housing

Ran it on thee dyno in 77* and humid weather on more boost. 649.64/530.97 smoothing 0.

Ran at Moderate power and regular shifting (not flat footed) Roll race style 1/4 mile

July 6th 2012
July 6th 2017

2018 Daytona Auto X
June 3rd 2018 Picked up an APR stage 2 Golf R with DSG to daily and pull my jet ski

Nov 17th 2018 Bought a new OEM trans to ship to TRE for a 4.31 final drive and some tweaks.

Dec 23rd. New trans and Exedy twin HD installed.
Had an idea for a Video years back and put it together for Xmas.

106434 miles May 4th 2019 , headed to the Daytona Auto X

Last edited by Abacus; Jun 28, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Abacus:
Is2scooby (Sep 16, 2018), Steveevoix (Nov 27, 2017)
Old Dec 13, 2015, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
What clutch are you on now? How did you like the Comp Stage2?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 08:49 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm on an ACT 6 puck Sprung. It went 10K miles with a few track days, 15 or so launches and lots of pulls.
The Comp Stage 2 was a little stiff. The ACT full face or 6 puck is a lighter pedal feel IMO.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 03:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Great thread. High quality parts and great taste. Loved how you've documented everything, looking forward to more.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice write up! Love the car. This has given me lots of inspiration for my IX. Keep up the good work!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Great thread. Awesome evolution of your Evo!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
What is the reason behind the switch from Aem Infinity to Motec M150?
How are you wiring up the ECU?
Via a patch harness?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

I enjoy cars and I want to continue learning things for myself and figure I should learn on the newest product out there. Jay tuned the Infinity and I was able to pick up on quite a few things as well. I'm looking forward to the MoTec.
Its a modified PNP harness.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Idk how you squeeze 18+mpg out of it on E85. Best my car does is about 15-16 being nice to it and driving mostly freeway. But I'm never all that nice to it, so 10-12 is normal mileage...lol
Old Dec 18, 2015, 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Thank you..
Old Dec 18, 2015, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent write up thanks for sharing the journey!
Old Dec 19, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff

Quick Reply: Tim's Evo 9 SE build. From Stock to 2.2themoon