Notices
ECU Flash

EvoScan + DatalogLab + EcuFlash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
EvoScan + DatalogLab + EcuFlash

Most of you already know about this combo of tools but I've been using the EvoScan + DatalogLab + EcuFlash to tune a bunch of cars in the last 2 months or so and it's a great combo.

The ability to visualize data with DatalogLab and also to see before and after powercurve changes makes it indispensable in my opinion (this was a big reason I loved ECU+ before). Everyone already knows the power of EvoScan and EcuFlash already so no need need to talk about them

I won't do a total write up of every car but here is some eye candy before and after charts. If anyone is serious about tuning their car well, this combo is hard to beat. Couple it with any good wideband on the market and it's total tuning power to the masses, of course, if you know how to use them to their potential.

Keep in mind these screenshots are showing only some simple logged parameters as to not get too busy but DLL can plot any data log column from evoscan you desire.

I think its amazing that this community has risen up and created their own tools to help the masses understand and visualize car tuning. I've been doing this for 7yrs+ and right now is truely a golden time.

Enough of the soppy crap, judge for yourself the power of the software combo with a couple examples:

car #1

Before pulls:

After tuning pull:

Overlay of before and after:

Before datalog visualization:

After datalog visualization:

car #2

Before pull Evoscan datalog:

Before pull datalog visualization:

Before and after overlay DLL power curves:

After tuning pull datalog visualization:

car #3

Stock car with catback, before and after tune DLL powercurves:

car #4

Before and after tune DLL powercurves:

car #5

Showing comparsion between stock and modded with tune and 100 octane:

----------

Keep in mind, the DLL powercurves are hard to get exact corresponding numbers to actual dynos, but the before and after curves are what should be looked at.

These tools make tuning a evo this much easier, safer, and exact. I love them!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice work Bryan!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryan -- So the curves look 'neat', but how is DatalogLab SW really helping you tune better (more efficiently / effectively)? I thought with EvoScan and a great wideband you should have more data than you need (especially if you are logging boost), but maybe I am missing something with the SW.

I do like to see the 'new' power curve, but also think evoscan has a more realistic test running through the gears - look at how long it takes to go from X to Y RPM. Can EvoM get a discount for this product? Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Bryan -- So the curves look 'neat', but how is DatalogLab SW really helping you tune better (more efficiently / effectively)? I thought with EvoScan and a great wideband you should have more data than you need (especially if you are logging boost), but maybe I am missing something with the SW.

I do like to see the 'new' power curve, but also think evoscan has a more realistic test running through the gears - look at how long it takes to go from X to Y RPM. Can EvoM get a discount for this product? Thanks
Being able to bring the EVOscan datalogs into DataLogLab and with one click, graphing them out visually, saves tremendous time over looking over huge excel graphs. I do still use the raw excel logs sometimes. With DataLogLab you can switch inbetween the visual graphs and the excel graphs with one click. In DataLogLab, you can click on any point on the datalog visual graph and it shows you the exact data in a left hand column of every piece of data that you have logged at that exact point. Just following the ign timing graph and seeing where knock happens at a glance greatly speeds up the tuning process.

Here is what the full app window looks like:

The power curves give me information on if the car is producing more power or not from changes. I can also roughly find MBT using them as well.

I will also be trying out ECUedit soon which breaks out all the visual data graphs into seperate windows which makes them even easier to read. It also has map tracing, a realtime dashboard with warnings and gauges, etc.

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 29, 2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

The benefit to DataLogLab is that it tells you exactly how each change affects your power curve. It also makes it easier to smooth your torque curve. It also makes it easy to see how much power each change provides. I believe the cost is around $15-$30 for DataLogLab. I don't really need it, but it is fun to play with and generate dyno plots.

-Paul
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I am definitely interested....The site say's that it is $39.95 (if I am looking at the right product / web site), but does not say that it works with Evoscan ??

Is this the correct product http://www.dataloglab.com/ ??
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

I have used Data Log Lab and I would be interested in purchasing it. Lets get a list together of who wants to buy the software and maybe we can do a group buy or get some kind of Evo M discount.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Does anyone know how they derive the TQ and HP figures? I came up with a 'back of the envelope' correlation to calculate the torque curve (and therefore hp) using injector time back when I had my Nissan. I wonder if DLL does the same?

I was just thinking about this last night acutally, but knowing a cars weight, coefficent of drag, gear ratios, tire size, and rpms, you could calculate the torque curve(and then HP) based on the rate of acceleration.

From the datalog you show with the O2 sensor values vs. the wideband readings.... shows how crappy the resolution of the narrowband O2 is!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I know how they derive the TQ and HP figures.. I too currently use DataLogLab, its so awesome that I am currently building the DataLogLab graphing and Power graphs into EvoScan for v0.99 or v1.00, and looking at bringing in some maps for map tracing, so that you dont have to buy other software products to do this.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo4mad
Yes I know how they derive the TQ and HP figures.. I too currently use DataLogLab, its so awesome that I am currently building the DataLogLab graphing and Power graphs into EvoScan for v0.99 or v1.00, and looking at bringing in some maps for map tracing, so that you dont have to buy other software products to do this.
AWESOME!!! For what it is worth (I am sure you have heard this a lot) EvoScan is an amazing product! You really should be quite pleased / proud with your 'baby'. Keep up the great additions / tweaks...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

AWESOME!!! For what it is worth (I am sure you have heard this a lot) EvoScan is an amazing product! You really should be quite pleased / proud with your 'baby'. Keep up the great additions / tweaks...
+1

Good stuff!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
I have used Data Log Lab and I would be interested in purchasing it. Lets get a list together of who wants to buy the software and maybe we can do a group buy or get some kind of Evo M discount.
I'm in on a group buy.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

+1
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by evo4mad
Yes I know how they derive the TQ and HP figures..
So can you tell us or is that info proprietary?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dudical26
A discount on a $40 peice of software? I fail to see the logic in this...

To the other question.. I've been working with the Author of Data Log Lab, for him to include the definition files for both Mitsulogger and Evoscan, the logs have recently diverged, but were similar enough to use the same definition until recently.

But you can download a definition file at this time, even though official support isn't documented on the site, several of us have been using it with Evoscan/Mitsulogger for months..

Quick Reply: EvoScan + DatalogLab + EcuFlash