Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I feel dumb now, I had it set at 9200 rpms but then I switched to the new tephra patch and forgot to change it haha.

thanks for the quick reply
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:28 PM
Account Disabled

just did a test run, surprisingly this didnt fix the issue.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
just did a test run, surprisingly this didnt fix the issue.
Then you are setting it incorrectly or have a bad def. Can you post a screenshot of your table? What rom ID?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tephra
well we can't have a 4d table - unfortunately.

so you can either have rpm vs throttle OR rpm vs gear.
Why not? Can't you have six 3d tables and select which one you call based on which gear you're in?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Why not? Can't you have six 3d tables and select which one you call based on which gear you're in?
you could but then usability suffers. I am sure tephra will figure out the best option.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 02:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah dont really want to overcomplicate the setup
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

quick question

I was playing w/ my rom tonight, and decided to sorta upgrade MUT tables, from an older version. I was checking to make sure the few request IDs I do know, were the same. In doing so, I noticed request ID 38, which is JDM map sensor... In my MUT table it reads 6AED. I am running the direct boost control, and the variable for boost control is 6AEC. Should this be changed to "6AEC"?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
no, in the ECU the vast majority of variables are 2 bytes, but MUT's are only single byte.

so you are requesting the second byte of the MAP sensor...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
Mrfred, just wondering if you ever had a chance to look at the 96420011 rom for ECU controlled boost support. I know you have been working on some other kick *** stuff so i hope i am not pestering.
Mrfred, i know you are busy, just trying to get support for tephra's next patch with the nifty gear dependent stuff

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

thank you sir!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

I had my first issue w/ temp. change and overboost this weekend. (In Cali) So I have been tuning the car in 70-90* + weather, and this weekend w/ all of the storms, and it being winter and all, it was ~ 60 ish, maybe less, and I over shot boost by almost 4 psi... Way too much! This is w/ "direct boost control"... I was under the impression this method would account for weather temp. change a lil better than this... Should it react this way? 4 psi is a bit much, dont ya think? I have been told that approx. ~ for every 10* drop in temp. you get 1 psi more. Is this somewhat accurate?

The only thing I have done to the rom recently is adding the knock control, ignition trims, and the periphery blobbits. I started to read up on, but dont understand the periphery blobbits... Could this have an adverse affect on anything? I know theres a lot of stuff going on there. I didnt change any of the values.

Oh and I made my BB/MWGDC tables high and low instead of tables 1, 2 and 3.
I dont think this would have any adverse affect, but I am trying to figure out why I overboosted 4 psi.

TIA
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
I had my first issue w/ temp. change and overboost this weekend. (In Cali) So I have been tuning the car in 70-90* + weather, and this weekend w/ all of the storms, and it being winter and all, it was ~ 60 ish, maybe less, and I over shot boost by almost 4 psi... Way too much! This is w/ "direct boost control"... I was under the impression this method would account for weather temp. change a lil better than this... Should it react this way? 4 psi is a bit much, dont ya think? I have been told that approx. ~ for every 10* drop in temp. you get 1 psi more. Is this somewhat accurate?

The only thing I have done to the rom recently is adding the knock control, ignition trims, and the periphery blobbits. I started to read up on, but dont understand the periphery blobbits... Could this have an adverse affect on anything? I know theres a lot of stuff going on there. I didnt change any of the values.

Oh and I made my BB/MWGDC tables high and low instead of tables 1, 2 and 3.
I dont think this would have any adverse affect, but I am trying to figure out why I overboosted 4 psi.

TIA

to recap from the other thread, I have colder weather overshoot as well with psi based direct boost control.

upward tps correct 0'ed out ect, still spikes of almost 4psi...
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tnt1106
to recap from the other thread, I have colder weather overshoot as well with psi based direct boost control.

upward tps correct 0'ed out ect, still spikes of almost 4psi...
4 psi overshoot is more than I've seen. Are you guys with the big overshoot values running GM BCSs?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
4 psi overshoot is more than I've seen. Are you guys with the big overshoot values running GM BCSs?
no, i have been lazy and still use my aem bcs.. I need to go order gm 3 port soon.

it does not over shoot unless its cold or in offset gears. do you think it is a hardware issue? temp has to be -20 from normal for it to do this.

nonschlont has gm in his sig.. Im thinking its rom related, but Im a driver not a tuner so need the smart guys here to let us know how to best fix it

Last edited by tnt1106; Dec 23, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tnt1106
no, i have been lazy and still use my aem bcs.. I need to go order gm 3 port soon.

it does not over shoot unless its cold or in offset gears. do you think it is a hardware issue? temp has to be -20 from normal for it to do this.

nonschlont has gm in his sig.. Im thinking its rom related, but Im a driver not a tuner so need the smart guys here to let us know how to best fix it
Its definitely not something related to a particular ROM. The overall tendency to overshoot is due to the changes in air temperature. How much it overshoots is a combination of how boost control is tuned and the hardware setup. tephra will have a fix in his next ROM series.

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control