Notices
ECU Flash

Lift off knock (cure?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not even worried about it really. My car knocked more when it was stock LOL. The only reason I wanted to eliminate it is my knock CEL is set to 3 so it goes off every now and then.

Also I see this at various RPM under partial throttle boost. My shifts are clean.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad I found this thread

my car knocks between 5K 6K rpms, I have attached my latest log, maybe someone can look at it and give me some pointers to get rid of it?

I see my CEL flash but I dont seem to hear anything.. what does "real" knock sound like?
Attached Files
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Well in that map for the most part you have dropped the timing in areas where you will never be during acceleration or cruising at those rpm's. The only time you would be there is high rpm, closed throttle, between shifts. It stretched the lines of whats probably needed but it gets the idea across.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I'm not even worried about it really. My car knocked more when it was stock LOL. The only reason I wanted to eliminate it is my knock CEL is set to 3 so it goes off every now and then.

Also I see this at various RPM under partial throttle boost. My shifts are clean.
That's pretty much how mine is now. I thought it was a timing related issue at first, but I've gone as far as lowering it to the stock low octane map and it still registers knock every now and then. Mostly at part throttle with varying loads, and almost always between 2500-3700 rpm range and the occasional flashing cel around 4500 when shifting. If I watch my wideband right as I get into the throttle I shoot lean, usually around the 16.8-17~ish mark before I drop down to a normal afr, and then at that point (after the wb is registering a normal afr) it flashes the knock cel at me.

I really need to get this figured out, starting to get reeeally annoying lol.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your problem is not with timing or fueling but with the respnse rate of the injectors (which needs to be refined), if knock occurs only during gear changes or off throttle.

Pro Ecutek tuner
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by popadel
Your problem is not with timing or fueling but with the respnse rate of the injectors (which needs to be refined), if knock occurs only during gear changes or off throttle.

Pro Ecutek tuner
I haven't adjusted anything as far as injector latency and sizing goes, it's still set at stock settings with the injector cc's undersized from the factory.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree somewhat, but I think its more of the going from open loop to closed loop fuel ratios/timing. if your in wot say with not a good tune running 10.5 with very low timing 0 or -3 whatever then jump to low load 14.7 high timing of 31.
I think or at least thats what worked for me is adjustment of the open loop tables.

Pro Ecutek tuner
Old Feb 1, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm 100% sure its in my timing but I'm unwilling to spend multiple hours recreating the problem and adjusting timing because of a split second of knock that happens once a week.

I don't see knock at WOT, shifting, or lift off.

I see it when left foot braking at the end of a straight while still in boost and going into a long sweeper that requires partial throttle. You know the drill. The steering wheel is connected to the gas pedal with a string. Once you start to turn you have to back off on the throttle. You are still boosting but the ECU doesn't sense a high load. Timing numbers will change depending on how much extra boost the car makes at that load. Maybe you are going down hill, maybe up hill, maybe you are in the wrong gear. I've got the car 99% dialed in and dont plan on detuning midrange timing because of harmless knock that only pops up 1% of the time.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

I had a log laying around here somewhere that showed exactly how it happens. At around 3500 RPM in 6th I had the throttle wide open. Boost was at 22 psi, timing at 8 degrees. As I let off the throttle, load decreased, timing shot from 8 degrees to 32 degrees, boost was still at 22 psi. Voila, knock.

Ok, I lied. Same story, but the throttle was only at 80% and the boost was only 15 psi.

Last edited by GTLocke13; Feb 1, 2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pro Ecutek tuner
Would you explain further please ? The injectors shut off during an off throttle section, how would the response time affect knock during a lift off section?

MB
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Another thing you can do is set the min load for knocklite to above 230 or so if you arent worried about the 1% of occurences. There is no load or little load, I wouldnt worry about it. Other than how I have changed my timing maps, thats the only thing I have done in regards to the lift off knock.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

partial/moving throttle knock

deleted - question moved to a new thread

Last edited by evo828; Feb 6, 2008 at 06:07 AM.