Notices
ECU Flash

MIVEC disassembly notes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
I meant the part about there actually being a difference in how the feedback controller sees an input of 28.8 vs 30. If the output is a 1-5V signal and the scaling is set so that 28.8 in the ECU is 5V then it won't make any difference either way. It was my way of saying that I'm making a WAG.
Could be possible, but I think the MIVEC signal is measured from the cam position sensor which is a pulsed signal. This would mean that there is no voltage limitation say like for a MAP or MAF sensor. It would be more like RPM. And MIVEC is represented in the ROM by two bytes with the 0 - 28.8 deg range using up only a small fraction of the available range of two bytes.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dudical26
I really don't get why the Evo uses so many different load variables. I wonder if it makes sense to have the ECU use one load variable for everything. It would certainly make tuning easier.
Yesh, suggested it and Tephra is looking into finding the perfect load variable to use. Also making sure that using one variable wont mess something up.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Found out this evening that while 28.8 deg looks for certain to be the upper limit on MIVEC, 0 deg is not the lower limit. I was able to push the MIVEC as far as -1.6 deg by altering the lower limit and adding negative values to the MIVEC table. So, it looks like the total range is around 30-31 deg, with it spanning from around -1.6 deg (logged) to around 28.4 deg (also logged).

Not sure how much value there is to be able to go negative by -1.6 deg. I suppose the place to use it would be at higher rpms.
Originally Posted by TouringBubble
maybe -1.2 to 28.8?
TB's post FTW.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
TB's post FTW.
Indeed.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What values should they read in Ecuflash?

Any ideas for rom 88570008?

SK

Found out this evening that while 28.8 deg looks for certain to be the upper limit on MIVEC, 0 deg is not the lower limit. I was able to push the MIVEC as far as -1.6 deg by altering the lower limit and adding negative values to the MIVEC table. So, it looks like the total range is around 30-31 deg, with it spanning from around -1.6 deg (logged) to around 28.4 deg (also logged).

Not sure how much value there is to be able to go negative by -1.6 deg. I suppose the place to use it would be at higher rpms.

If you want to see the MIVEC upper lower limits, add the following two entries to your 88590015 xml file:

---
<table name="MIVEC Bounding Minimum" category="Timing" address="293A" type="1D" level="1" scaling="ValveTiming16"/>

<table name="MIVEC Bounding Maximum" category="Timing" address="293C" type="1D" level="1" scaling="ValveTiming16"/>
---

Then add the following entry to your evo9base.xml file (if you're using post 1.29 version of ECUFlash, use "big" instead of "little" endian):

---
<scaling name="ValveTiming16" units="degrees" toexpr="72-x*0.6/32" frexpr="(72-x)*32/0.6" format="%.1f" min="-1.8" max="28.8" inc="0.1" storagetype="uint16" endian="little"/>
---
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Oracle1
What values should they read in Ecuflash?

SK
0.0 and 28.8
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
So I tried out -1.6 (which actually you can't input into ecuflash, it just snaps to -1.8) on the dyno today. Was interested in seeing what it would do as I usually run 0 up top on the 9's. Didn't really do anything power wise but this Evo was a un-standard case 9, using a exhaust adjustable cam gear.

I'll try it out on some more 9's and report back.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
TB's post FTW.
Lol. That's why I get the big bucks ...

My MIVEC map is actually running just a little advance up top, so I'm looking forward to your results Razorlab.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
So I tried out -1.6 (which actually you can't input into ecuflash, it just snaps to -1.8) on the dyno today. Was interested in seeing what it would do as I usually run 0 up top on the 9's. Didn't really do anything power wise but this Evo was a un-standard case 9, using a exhaust adjustable cam gear.

I'll try it out on some more 9's and report back.
What position was the exh cam gear set to?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Now I've pretty much convinced myself that approx 28-29 deg is the max advance. I grabbed a drawing of the MIVEC assembly from the FSM and measured the amount of rotation possible. Assuming the drawing proportions are reasonably correct, then it looks like there is room for up to 50 deg of advance. However, there is a nub on one of the MIVEC arms that limits the MIVEC advance to 28.8 deg. Seems like that nub would have to sawed off get more than 28.8 deg.

Originally Posted by esevo
What would the advantages be from more cam timing? Any down sides? the factory put it there for a reason, but if more power could be made, I would be willing to saw it off!!!
Well theoretically the idea still holds true that alot of early advance will help spool but I am not sure what the range would be where there are diminishing gains. I remember reading that when Subaru AVCS came out it was supposed to feature 40* of adjustability. Looking at Subaru maps there definitely isnt 40* of adj being used however.

It was pointed out earlier that the 4G63 is an interference motor, but the piston is moving away from the intake valve so there isnt really a chance of interference unless it was extremely over advanced BTDC. As far this is concerned you could look at the specs for the biggest MIVEC cam now available and see how much advance BTDC it has taking into account it has the safety margin for 28.8*. Add the 2 numbers together and you should come up with a reasonable idea of what the max limit is. I will look at the cam engineering for the Cossies again and then see what we have for a rough idea. I would assume its only in the 45-50* range though (total max advance).
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

mrfred- One other question about the "nub" on the MIVEC gear. I am thinking this is behind the plastic cover and IN the spool valve assembly yes? Once my car is back from getting the transmission rebuilt or replaced I am gonna do this just because I have to know whether it helps or not.

Bryan- Without having to disclose the actual cam gear setting has this helped spool at all? Optimum MIVEC changes with the lobecenter so altering the effective engineering requires a little time with a dynosim and then you can see what will help or not. I can run it on my lappy later if you want some ideas (unless you already got it in the bag), just PM if you want it done.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
mrfred- One other question about the "nub" on the MIVEC gear. I am thinking this is behind the plastic cover and IN the spool valve assembly yes? Once my car is back from getting the transmission rebuilt or replaced I am gonna do this just because I have to know whether it helps or not.

Based on the diagram, it looks to me like one of the MIVEC arms has the nub molded onto it. Those arms are the arms that see the oil, so the MIVEC assembly on the cam gear would need to come apart. Is that your take as well?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I had it all apart when I did cams but I cant remember how it actually goes together. From that diagram there yes I agree that it needs to be disassembled in order to be modified.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Bryan- Without having to disclose the actual cam gear setting has this helped spool at all? Optimum MIVEC changes with the lobecenter so altering the effective engineering requires a little time with a dynosim and then you can see what will help or not. I can run it on my lappy later if you want some ideas (unless you already got it in the bag), just PM if you want it done.
oops, yes I should have been more specific, all I meant was 'was the exh cam advanced or retarded relative to stock'? I could see the exh cam going either way, depending on what issue you're trying to lick. No need to disclose the actual setting.