Notices
ECU Flash

EcuFlash, EvoScan, ECU Patches - Organization Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, be kind, I just set this up, so I'm sure there's a few of everyone's favorite extensions missing: evoecu.logic.net is running Mediawiki 1.12 on a system I manage. We should be good for both bandwidth and storage for now, and can upgrade on the fly as needed.

As for content: Dudical, I copied the content of your Wikipedia user page so there's at least a semi-useful splash page to start with. I'd probably suggest breaking that up into multiple pages (a page for each ROM ID would probably be useful, etc), but all of that will likely work itself out over time. I've uploaded the stock 96940011 ROM, so uploads appear to be working as they should. As for the logo...eh, I needed something, so I grabbed a picture I took and slapped some text on it so there wouldn't be any copyright concerns. Someone please come up with something better?

I only have one rule: no posting of anything even remotely illegal or civilly-actionable in U.S. jurisdictions. I'm not compromising the other sites I host for someone raging against "the man".

Should EvoM decide they want to host a wiki here (there's a few advantages to that, such as using vBulletin's user database), I'll be glad to provide a database dump and/or any assistance.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thats really awesome, thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR Turco
I somewhat lost track of this thread so i am not sure if this was discussed.

I dont know much about hex files but i have heard the idea of having a loader. Should all the patch guys consider releasing patches in a manner we can load and unload them onto a ROM? Is this possible? Is it hard to implement? I dont want to add more work i am just trying to think of ways to make patching easier.
the loader/unloader would be a binary patching system (diff). they use these for patching video game ROMS, as well as already compiled Executables. I've suggested this a few times already - but no ones seems to care?

a simple binary patching system would allow you to load and backout changes at the press of a button - without the chance for user error when manually adding patches.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dexmix
the loader/unloader would be a binary patching system (diff). they use these for patching video game ROMS, as well as already compiled Executables. I've suggested this a few times already - but no ones seems to care?

a simple binary patching system would allow you to load and backout changes at the press of a button - without the chance for user error when manually adding patches.
If you notice with the video game loaders/editers they have to bring out a new version each time the game gets updated cause the old one won't work anymore cause stuff has been moved around inside the binary.

With different roms out there it would need to be intelligent enough to vary the change based on the specific rom, as well as if its a rom it doesn't recognize, not installing the patch at all (correct thing to do in this case).

You could make it dumb, and make the user select which derivative of a rom it is, but if they can get that right they probably have a good chance of applying the patch correctly in the first place.

Or go absolutley stupid and write an installable patch for each rom derivative....

And this is just the "install" part. If you want the "uninstall" part which you talk about then that is a whole nother can of worms.

Last edited by codgi; Jul 29, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Posting first time in the tread. Want to know if the definitions for the EDM 08+ Evo's and Sti's are out yet?

I just tried getting the roms and did save them, but seems to be of no use. Any updates. Do let me know. I can mail the roms to you guru's out there!

Thanks!

* just noticed this is a year old thread!

Last edited by evo_q8; May 13, 2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added EDM.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Updated the wiki with some spelling corrections...best I could contribute at this point...thanks for the effort everyone!