Notices
ECU Flash

Changed ECU, OBDII testing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed ECU, OBDII testing

Ok, I have a Stratus and it just so happens that the EVO ECU is perfect for swapping in to tune for turbo applications.

SO, I purchased an EVO ECU and installed it, upgraded from 94170008 to Tephra's 5.1 94170015 and its working beautifully. It passes all emission checks according to Scantech, throws an intermittant P0300, but if its warm outside and I delete it I can just drive a bit and everything will be passing.

Now I went to get it inspected, dude knew it wasn't stock, but the inspector is concerned with the computer being swapped and any info that is contained on it that won't match up with the car.

Issues he is concerned with

1. VIN #

2. Vehicle info

Now scantech can't pull any of the vehicle information from the computer. I inputted the information but it won't stick. I hit clear and then request the info and it stays blank. SO, my other concern is with ECUflash and the informatino contained in the ROM INFO section. I figure that I can change these, but will it affect my ability to tune? Will it cause me to not be able to read the ECU? What exactly can I do? I want this guy to be safe, he is concerned that it will report info that won't match the car and he will be fined for doing a "clean swap". He thinks they will figure that he hooked up a different car (an EVO) and charge him like $1,500 in fines.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
To the best of my knowledge unless they have a super bada$$ scan tool, ECUflash, scantech, the Snap On OBD2 scanner, or anything else I have to try will pull a VIN from the ECU. I am not saying it cant, but I havent been able to get it to do it. My suggestion is plug the stock ECU back in, pull the ROM and worry only about the ROM ID when it shows that as it tries to figure out what to associate it with (unless you already know). For the purposes of the test and not daily life change the ROM ID of your Evo ROM to that one so that at least it matches when they hook up their scan tool.

Remember to save 2 versions of it. One with the ROM ID for 94170008 and the other for what the stratus should be.

aaron@englishracing.net
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

I have the stock ROM ID, how would I go about changing the information on the ROM INFO tab?

Here is the ROM in the car and the info:

And here is the Stratus ROM. I can't possibly load the stratus ROM because it was an auto-ROM and was huge compared to the EVO ROM because it contained all the info to control the transmission.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For the purposes of implementation (and the archives), the VIN OBD-II query is PID 2 on vehicles that support mode 9. See the Wikipedia article for details, or SAE J1979. More good information from an implementation perspective.

Everything I can find suggests that mode 9 only started appearing on vehicles in 2002; since our ECUs didn't really undergo significant hardware changes until switching to the X's CAN configuration, I'd be very surprised if this was a supported feature on an Evo ECU. I have not actually tested this to confirm, though.

(Actually, after a little searching, I can't find references to any manufacturers who implemented this prior to switching to CAN...)

As for the ROM ID, that's actually part of the ROM itself (at address f52). OBD-II doesn't deal with this kind of thing; there actually aren't any provisions for that kind of information in the J1979 standard for that. There could be manufacturer-specific PIDs in mode 9, or in a manufacturer-specific mode, but an emissions testing center will only be working with standard OBD-II; MUT, which you'd need to read the ROM and get the ROM ID, is completely off the table.

So, I really wouldn't worry about it that much.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to edit the ROM ID in the ROM itself, you can add this to evo7base.xml:

Code:
<table name="ECU Internal ID" category="Misc" type="2D" level="4" address="f52" scaling="Hex8">
	<table name="ID" type="X Axis" elements="4">
		<data>-</data>
		<data>-</data>
		<data>-</data>
		<data>-</data>
	</table>
</table>
Keep in mind that, once you've changed this, EcuFlash will think it's the value you've changed it to the next time you open it, and display some rather "interesting" interpretations of the maps in your ECU. Once you change the ID back to what it's supposed to be and re-open the ROM, it'll look correct again.

The rest of the information in the "ROM Info" portion of the tree is just pulled from the XML file for that ROM; ie. 80870009.xml. Just open it up in text editor, and you'll see it there at the top. None of that information is actually stored in your ROM or in your ECU; it's just for informational purposes. Once you change the ROM's ID, it'll display information appropriate to the ID you changed it to.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

You're the man bro. I'm going to change the ROM ID and see where it gets me. I understand I'll have to change it back to be able to tune, and all the maps will look funny for the time being. I just hope I don't screw everything up doing this. I'd hate to have to re-install everything with ecuflash.

Since you're saying it won't carry the VIN and another buddy of mine who is using the EVO ECU in his eclipse turbo says the same thing, I'm considering just telling the mechanic that I paid somebody to fix it for me. Since it won't pick it up anyway. I just have a hard time lying.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

So, I feel like a total ***. I ended up just lying to the dude since most of you guys say that there isn't a VIN on the ECU and all that jazz. I hate to lie, but the car is now inspected, and everything is gravy.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 has the VIN# embedded, 2003/2004 does not... I know you said it was 94170008 which would have made an ECU a 2003.. So I have to assume your using the Tephra 94170015 .. In that case, there should be no VIN# whatsoever to reveal.

As far as I know, I never officially found where the VIN# is actually stored in a 2005 rom, or if its stored outside of the rom, but a 2003/2004 rom returns a null value for a VIN# query, 2005 and later do return the vin# embedded in the ECU (if its actually embedded and not just somewhere in the rom)

Last edited by MalibuJack; Sep 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
BTW For those who haven't figured it out yet, quite a few Chryslers use mitsubishi ECU's, if the MUT tool works with it, so will the reflash tools.. Physically if the ECU has the same pinouts and pins, you "Should" be able to flash an Evo Rom onto it (with the proper tweaks)
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
BTW For those who haven't figured it out yet, quite a few Chryslers use mitsubishi ECU's, if the MUT tool works with it, so will the reflash tools.. Physically if the ECU has the same pinouts and pins, you "Should" be able to flash an Evo Rom onto it (with the proper tweaks)
Yea, the stratus coupe's are pretty identical to the 3g eclipse (same motor/ecu ect.). When I swapped in my motor I went from auto->manual. I wired up the stock manual transmission wiring harness, and just plugged that into th EVO ECU, and its all gravy. And I uploaded the 94170008 ROM with immobilizer deleted on club3g.com and some guys are running that in their boosted cars. The problem is that the stock ROM doesn't have maps greater than 100% load, but the EVO one does! Also some of the periphery has to be altered to prevent SES lights for the wastegate solenoid and fuel pressure solenoid which we don't have.

BTW, thanks for the re-assurance MalibuJack!

Last edited by steadly2004; Sep 28, 2008 at 04:30 PM.