Notices
ECU Flash

force full time open loop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:58 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree! It may not be a mech problem. It may be electrical or programming.

I checked the parts you changed on your thread and did not see the resistor box. Did you replace this box?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont think we changed the resistor box. I will ask chad
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:15 PM
EvoM Moderator

Let me know as I have a friend with a IX in pieces waiting for a new block, etc.

I may test this over this upcoming weekend.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
No it doesnt give trims. The process gets a little more complicated but not impossible. You need to get the car running close (it should be if its already scaled in closed loop) and make sure your WOT stuff is right first. If you start with a table that has range somewhere in the middle (lets say 10s) and then it gives you a 11.5 or whatever the idle and cruise is still just a matter of latency and sometimes fuel map.

On large injectors it makes it more drivable since its not chasing its tail in a feedback loop which seems to inevitably happen.

aaron
Hi,

I have made a lot of changes to the car now and need some advice. car so far has been running E50 (local mix in South Africa) on precision 780cc injectors. been running the std rom without any tephra mods or peripheries.

car has: FPGreen, 3"tbe, ams cooler, cossie cams, nisei piping, ecu boost with greddy solinoid, 30psi tapering to 23psi

I am now going to the following:

1000cc precision, latest rom with all tephra mods etc, E75, 30psi tapering to 23 psi.

Now I want to use the open loop mode, do I need to first tune in closed loop and then go to open loop, or can I go straight to open loop mode and scale the injectors so the afr are close to the table numbers?

was going to scale to 609 as this seems the common number for 1000cc?

I will keep in open loop peramanently if it works well.

mike

Last edited by Boosted GP; Sep 16, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there anyway we can make sure that "force full time open loop" is working?

I am having the following problem.

I have made the changes to my Perph bit FAA bit4 = 0 and when I do a log to compare my AFr's from the LC1 to what is in my AFR map, they are pretty far put, especially in the low load cells, where the actual AFR is a lot lower than the map and then in the higher load cells, the actual AFR is reading leaner than what is in the map.

Lean spool is also disabled, Perph bit FBA bit0 = 0

I have std injectors, with std intake and no changes have been made to my injector scalings/latency in my 96530706 ROM.

Attached is a WOT 3rd gear log.

Over here.

PS... Currently I have a problem with logging my AFR's with the LC1, at high rpm's it shows 22 AFR's.

And a map trace of the logged AFR's versus the AFR map..

Last edited by SeanV; Sep 29, 2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:59 AM
EvoM Moderator

You can check that Closed Loop is disabled because the car won't adjust the trims. In many cases the trims stay at 0, so there is a 90% chance that the trims will change after a 10-15 min cruise drive. All should stay zero is Closed Loop is disable.

BTW, you are logging Wideband twice that leads me to believe that the readings you are getting are from a misconfiguration of the serial port in EvoScan or if you have the Wideband connected to the ECU thru one of the ECU pins, then there is something wrong of the scaling or Ecuflash configuration.

Just my 0.02!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

nm

Last edited by nothere; Sep 29, 2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joedr
You can check that Closed Loop is disabled because the car won't adjust the trims. In many cases the trims stay at 0, so there is a 90% chance that the trims will change after a 10-15 min cruise drive. All should stay zero is Closed Loop is disable.

BTW, you are logging Wideband twice that leads me to believe that the readings you are getting are from a misconfiguration of the serial port in EvoScan or if you have the Wideband connected to the ECU thru one of the ECU pins, then there is something wrong of the scaling or Ecuflash configuration.

Just my 0.02!
Yeah all trims stay at 0, so I guess that means I am in permanent open loop
Looks like I need to play with the latencies and injector scaling to bring my wide AFR's in line with to what is targeted in the map.

Correct, the one wide band data log is from the Serial output of the LC1, via a usb covertor (Labeled as external wide band a/f ratio) and the other one is the analogue 2 output from the LC1 into pin 75 on the ECU (Labeled as Wide band AFR).

I have posted the issues with logging the LC1in MrFred's "how-to: Log AFR from the LC-1 w/o a serial cable" thread.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by SeanV
Yeah all trims stay at 0, so I guess that means I am in permanent open loop
Looks like I need to play with the latencies and injector scaling to bring my wide AFR's in line with to what is targeted in the map.

Correct, the one wide band data log is from the Serial output of the LC1, via a usb covertor (Labeled as external wide band a/f ratio) and the other one is the analogue 2 output from the LC1 into pin 75 on the ECU (Labeled as Wide band AFR).

I have posted the issues with logging the LC1in MrFred's "how-to: Log AFR from the LC-1 w/o a serial cable" thread.
Try to log only thru the ECU and see what you get. It will be a good idea to get another WB (a dyno one perhaps) to challage your readings.

This exercise should determine if your WB is reading bad or it is a defective unit. Also, check the grounds on the LC1. If I am not mistaken you should place the two grounds in different places to ensure accuracy.

One more thing, please ensure that the unit is free-air calibrated, that you have the latest firmware and that the LC1 programming is at the same scale as the ECU.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Try to log only thru the ECU and see what you get
I have already tried that and get the same results.

It will be a good idea to get another WB (a dyno one perhaps) to challage your readings.
I also have a LM2 with it's own O2 sensor, which I stick up the tail pipe and it gives pretty much the same readings as what I see when logging the LC1 with Logworks.
What I also plan on trying, is to unplug the O2 sensor from the LC1 and plug it into my LM2, then run the serial output signal from the LM2 into the ECU on the same pin 75 as the LC1, and then log to see what values I get.

Also, check the grounds on the LC1. If I am not mistaken you should place the two grounds in different places to ensure accuracy.
I will be checking my grounds again and try two different locations.

One more thing, please ensure that the unit is free-air calibrated
Done.

that you have the latest firmware and that the LC1 programming is at the same scale as the ECU.
The LC1 has Ver 1.10 on which I believe is the latest firmware.

What do you mean by the LC1 programming scale versus the ECU scale?
The min and max ranges?

thx for the feedback
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
EvoM Moderator

The question is... Do you have the same bad/weird readings on the LM2 and LC1 at different locations on the exhaust system?

If that is the case, then you have to bad WB controllers.... which I doubt or you are definatelly running VERY lean at WOT based on the left most column for AFR on your log.

As for the scales.... there is a linearization done where 0 volts means for example 7 AFR and 5 volts mean 23 AFR. On mrfred's thread there is an option where you can narrow the linear function on the LC1 and ECU to read from 9-18 AFR.

If this scaling is not in unison between the ECU and WB controller, you will get weird readings once you are reaching the 0 or 5 volts extremes in the scale.

The reason I opted to use only the input on the ECU was that the serial connector was causing the LC1 to loose calibration and got weird readings. I never got to find the root cause for that and since the direct feed to ECU provided a solution I opted to not find the reason for loosing calibration. I would try to remove the WB sensor from the pipe and do a calibration. Once, that one is done and w/o using the serial port... try to log from ECU only.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

The question is... Do you have the same bad/weird readings on the LM2 and LC1 at different locations on the exhaust system?
No the readings are pretty consistent between the LC1 and the LM2 if I log with Logworks using the same sensor.
i.e they aren't bad readings were it goes off the scale as I am seeing via the ECU/Evscan logging.

As for the scales.... there is a linearization done where 0 volts means for example 7 AFR and 5 volts mean 23 AFR. On mrfred's thread there is an option where you can narrow the linear function on the LC1 and ECU to read from 9-18 AFR.
Ah ok gotcha, I will check the scalings between the Evoscan formula and also what the WB controller is set to.

The reason I opted to use only the input on the ECU was that the serial connector was causing the LC1 to loose calibration and got weird readings. I never got to find the root cause for that and since the direct feed to ECU provided a solution I opted to not find the reason for loosing calibration.
I had the same calibration problem when using the serial port into my laptop, then I found it was cased bu plugging/unplugging the serial/usb cable from the laptop while the car/LC1 had power to it.
I only plug/unplug the usb/serial out of the laptop when the car is switched off, and don't have the LC1 losing it's calibration anymore.

Thx Joe, you have been a great help and given me a few things to check/try.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:29 PM
EvoM Moderator

SeanV,

Gotcha! So, the readings on Logworks are good... it is just the EvoScan and EcuFlash readings that are off? Is this correct?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

SeanV,

Gotcha! So, the readings on Logworks are good... it is just the EvoScan and EcuFlash readings that are off? Is this correct?
Correct, Logworks readings are good, no weirdness going on like I see in Evoscan.