Notices
ECU Flash

Tuning the Evo 8.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning the Evo 8.

Hello EvoM,

So I read the post about "how to tune your evo" and my question is regarding this section.

"3. Wideband O2 meter (WBO2): Do not attempt to tune your Evo if you do not have a WBO2 meter. Do not use the narrowband O2 sensor on the Evo to tune the car. The NBO2 was not intended for tuning purposes. It is used for emissions and it is only accurate under stoichometeric conditions and even then it is barely accurate. Tuning with a NBO2 was used back in the DSM days when WBO2 were very expensive and no one could afford them. Today, you can get a WBO2 meter for as little as $180. I use Innovate products. I have an LM-1/LM-A2 with two XD-1 gauges. One gauge reads AFR and the other gauge reads boost. The cost was $750. It was worth every penny. I have had zero problems with this kit."

So my Evo has 3 pod gauges which are a pyrometer, an AFR meter and a boost meter ..
Are these the WBO2 meters that I need?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPqIW0QjqHg

Forgive my goofiness in this video, I was just excited after picking her up
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I couldn't get a good look at the "AFR meter" but looks like you have a few AEM gauges and one could possibly be a wideband o2. If you can take a picture of it I'm sure we could tell you from the picture. The red thing on you steering column is a in cabin manual boost controller and there is a SAFC on your dash. If it was my car I would sell the SAFC and buy a Tactrix cable and Evoscan as you can adjust the fuel/timing and a number of different parameters on the engine such as boost.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by drifterific
So I couldn't get a good look at the "AFR meter" but looks like you have a few AEM gauges and one could possibly be a wideband o2. If you can take a picture of it I'm sure we could tell you from the picture. The red thing on you steering column is a in cabin manual boost controller and there is a SAFC on your dash. If it was my car I would sell the SAFC and buy a Tactrix cable and Evoscan as you can adjust the fuel/timing and a number of different parameters on the engine such as boost.
Hello drifterific,
Yes the SAFCII has already been disabled and the 1.3U cable has already been ordered. I also paid the 20 bux for the software so I'm with you there.

I look at the way this Evo is now and it just looks like it was using the technology that was available back in 2003 so it's my job to update it.

So I have another video of the AEM gauges while I was cruising at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn2W01urY7w

I recommend fast forwarding to like 1:47.
Sorry for all the jitter, I was recording through my droid

You'll see it's pretty spot on reading.

Tell me if this helps?

Thanks!!!

Quick edit,

One more video so you can look around my Evo so to speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyfB-gwhKjs

Last edited by Guru Johnson; Oct 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Adding one more youtube link.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the gauge that is in the middle is you wideband gauge. I watched the video and am wondering what mods you have done to your car, what fuel are you running also. Sounds like you have cams because of the lope in your idle.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by drifterific
Yeah the gauge that is in the middle is you wideband gauge. I watched the video and am wondering what mods you have done to your car, what fuel are you running also. Sounds like you have cams because of the lope in your idle.
Yeah, it's got HKS 272 cams.
750 injectors,
In one video you should have been able to see the fuel rail.
The reason I'm wanting to learn to tune her is cause
right now she's only been tuned for 300hp cause the intercooler that was on there was only a 27.5x5.5x2.5 which as I understand it is the intercooler for civics/integras that get converted.
Don't ask me why that IC was on there, That's how I bought her.
Now I've got a 27.5x11.75x3, A mishimoto M.

I want to do an E85 tune and run about 25psi since I only want to make 400hp.

I run 93 octane right now.

She was tuned at AWD Motorsports when I bought her just 6 weeks ago.

But yeah, I thought that was a wideband sensor.

So once I get the 1000cc injectors and Walbro put in and I get comfortable with all the software to tune the Evo .. Oh yeah, It's on!!!

Thanks dude