Notices
ECU Flash

Issue with LC-1 logging

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with LC-1 logging

I did a brief search and didn't find the exact problem I'm seeing. Today I was trying to log a friend's car, but the LC-1 doesn't seem to log correctly. When I log with Logworks, everything seems fine. When I log to screen in Evoscan, everything seems fine. But when I log to file I see 14.xx AFRs on almost all the data points. I attached a part of the log. Has anyone experienced the same? Its already been calibrated 2x and still seeing the problem. Again, when logging to screen on evoscan, it seems to log just fine.

I've experienced similar issues with AEM, and that was caused by bad grounding. I didn't have time to double check the wiring on this install, but I will give that a shot next.

Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Issue with LC-1 logging-lc1.png  
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kings Fan
I did a brief search and didn't find the exact problem I'm seeing. Today I was trying to log a friend's car, but the LC-1 doesn't seem to log correctly. When I log with Logworks, everything seems fine. When I log to screen in Evoscan, everything seems fine. But when I log to file I see 14.xx AFRs on almost all the data points. I attached a part of the log. Has anyone experienced the same? Its already been calibrated 2x and still seeing the problem. Again, when logging to screen on evoscan, it seems to log just fine.

I've experienced similar issues with AEM, and that was caused by bad grounding. I didn't have time to double check the wiring on this install, but I will give that a shot next.

Any input would be appreciated.

Yes, I've seen exactly this! It's a bug in EvoScan...

If you DISABLE "Log to Screen" and just "Log to File", the bug occurs.

If you ENABLE BOTH "Log to Screen" AND "Log to File", it works more sensibly.

What's happening is this, I reckon:

EvoScan is capable of logging faster than it can get serial data from the Innovate unit. What is supposed to happen is that the file log simply repeats the last known Innovate reading if it couldn't get a new one.

But with "Log to Screen" is enabled, EvoScan doesn't repeat the last known value. It repeats some dumb value it logged the very first time it got data from the LC-1 - back when logging began.

So... the valid reading are:

#1: 14.7
#2: ------
#3: 14.6
#4: ------
#5: ------
#6: 14.8
#7: ------
#8: 14.8

With "Log to Screen" on, the dashes will repeat the last valid number.

With it off, the dashes will repeat some useless constant value.

My current solution is to leave "Log to Screen" on. It's not like I get better AFR resolution anyway, as the LC-1 serial link doesn't seem to run very fast...

A better solution would be to log to OP2.0 microSD card. But... that seems to be broken too! This time, it seems to be a fault on the later OP2.0 firmwares. All I get are zero readings in the logfile. Tried changing baud to 19200, but no go.

With standalone AFR logging not working, I guess EvoScan/LC-1 is better than the alternative!

Rich
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Wow ok I'm going to give this a try. I'm going to kick myself if its this simple because I tried different things for about an hour. Also I know people say the LC1 is super fast (at least faster than the AEM) but my AEM logs just fine. Probably just an evoscan thing.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Just an update... the above logging with screen and file worked perfectly. Thanks bro!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kings Fan
Just an update... the above logging with screen and file worked perfectly. Thanks bro!
Good to hear! I've tried EvoScan 2.8, by the way, and it still has the bug.

I had more dramas with my LC-1 to laptop link... it seems to have a very long lag-time. Took me a while to spot.

Details here, if you're interested!...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9051634

This got a lot easier to cope with once I logged IPW as well - some good advice later on in that thread!

Good luck...

Rich