Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: ECU-based direct boost control

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266

I was really disappointed. I just acquired a Vishnu bleeder. It is the same one that mrfred is using. I might try direct boost control with it. mrfred uses it with direct boost and it works.
I think it would be great if you gave it a try with the Vishnu bleeder (and stock pill at the tee and no pill at the BCS side). I don't even look at the boost gauge any more because I know its working. :-)
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know the approximate orifice size of the stock T pill? My has been mia for a few years. I may try the vishnu bleeder as well. Is it what they call the passive boost solenoid emulator? Hell, I'll try em all!

Last edited by FuelsResearch; Jan 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by FuelsResearch
Anyone know the approximate orifice size of the stock T pill? My has been mia for a few years. I may try the vishnu bleeder as well. Is it what they call the passive boost solenoid emulator? Hell, I'll try em all!
Yep, that's the passive boost solenoid emulator. If you can find a metal tee, it would be easy enough to fill in the branch with solder, and then drill a hole to make a bleeder.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 06:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can people who are running a GM 3-port BCS post up their BEC and BWGDC tables. I am looking to see how people with the 3-port are setting them up.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR Turco
Can people who are running a GM 3-port BCS post up their BEC and BWGDC tables. I am looking to see how people with the 3-port are setting them up.
+1 I bought the 3 port yesterday.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 09:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Bump, anyone out there with this?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Just a note ... I'm doing some testing with a mostly flat BWGDC profile and basically letting the TBEC table control the boost. Results were promising to start, but my car's been down for a week. I'll do some more testing when I get it reassembled.

The only problem I see with it so far is that the stock BCS is a little slow to react and there seems to be a maximum correction that can be applied to the WGDC. I think the GM solenoid and a little more correction delay could help with the response in this situation and the max correction isn't an issue if you set the BWGDC somewhere logical.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a GM 3-port. Don't know if I should add what I have because i'm not using direct boost control, I'm on load-based. But here is my current WGDC table and the boost curve it produces (this error correction off).
Attached Thumbnails how-to: ECU-based direct boost control-currentmwgdc.jpg   how-to: ECU-based direct boost control-boostprofile.jpg  

Last edited by roger smith; Feb 1, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Just a note ... I'm doing some testing with a mostly flat BWGDC profile and basically letting the TBEC table control the boost. Results were promising to start, but my car's been down for a week. I'll do some more testing when I get it reassembled.

The only problem I see with it so far is that the stock BCS is a little slow to react and there seems to be a maximum correction that can be applied to the WGDC. I think the GM solenoid and a little more correction delay could help with the response in this situation and the max correction isn't an issue if you set the BWGDC somewhere logical.
Very interesting. I would like to see your results when you get them. What sort of BWGDC are you thinking, like 70% across the board?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

I started on 45% I think because of the weather ... that's why I found the correction limit. I wanted to keep it safe for the initial testing. I was running ~65% or so for my desired load.

Choosing a median BWGDC for all seasons would be the key to avoiding the correction limit ... likely somewhere around 70% as you mentioned.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringBubble

If you guys remember I recommended this way of tuning a long time ago.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Feb 1, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

sept. 16, 07

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Yeah, defiantly tune like this. Zero TBEC, use WGDC to get you to your desired boost level, then re induce the TBEC.

The only thing I do different is a run a flat WGDC ie 65s from 3000-7000. I just make sure that the WGDC I use, gets me to my desired peak boost. I then let the correction take away the taper.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah, I found one problem wit this style of tuning, Ill explain more when i have time.....
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Oh yeah, I found one problem wit this style of tuning, Ill explain more when i have time.....
Wow i never saw your original post, easy to miss on this forum. I will be interested to see what you have found.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

I remember your post, but you never really expanded on it much. That's why I'm trying it out now ...

I'm thinking the problem you found with this method is that TBEC doesn't zero out when you let off the throttle ...

Quick Reply: how-to: ECU-based direct boost control